Gibson Brands Forums

Action on 64 J-45

Joe B

I have a 64 Gibson J-45 in excellent shape. No playing wear. When I got it I noticed that the bridge needed to be reset. It had pulled forward maybe 1/16" and was causing a little lacquer wave in front of bridge. It was also a bit sharp. My luthier is resetting the bridge now.

When I first got the guitar the saddle was adjusted rather high and so was the action. I brought the adj saddle down until the screws started to resist, but did not push it. The saddle still was a bit high at about 3/16".

My luthier said the neck angle was OK and did not need a reset. We have discussed routing the saddle slot slightly lower to improve the action.

Why are the saddles on the 60's Adj Gibsons always not adjustable enough?

My 62 Texan has the ADJ saddle and it is fine, but I thought you should know that the saddle slot in the bridge goes all the way through the bridge to the guitar top anyway. So you couldn`t rout it any lower.

Steve

Thanks that dawned on me later. My luthier and I discussed it and decided to leave it alone. There is one fix where you sink the dowels on each side (they are supported also by the bridgeplate) and that helps you get the saddle to adjust a bit lower.

I have a 64 Gibson J-45 in excellent shape. No playing wear. When I got it I noticed that the bridge needed to be reset. It had pulled forward maybe 1/16" and was causing a little lacquer wave in front of bridge. It was also a bit sharp. My luthier is resetting the bridge now.

When I first got the guitar the saddle was adjusted rather high and so was the action. I brought the adj saddle down until the screws started to resist, but did not push it. The saddle still was a bit high at about 3/16".

My luthier said the neck angle was OK and did not need a reset. We have discussed routing the saddle slot slightly lower to improve the action.

My '64 has adjustable saddle and so far, so good. I've had it since it was new.

• 4 weeks later...

I got it back from my luthier Steve Grimes at www.grimesguitars.com He reset the bridge and the action is fine. There was a little gunk in the dowels and now it lowers just fine. The thing sounds great.

219829_10151094468314169_1637923259_o.jpg

Archived