Gibson Brands Forums

Is this guy dreaming or......?

strumbert

• 2 weeks later...

It would have to sound like a chorus of angels b/4 i would plunk down that much $ on an epi, and i love epi's. But why I love them is the bang for the buck factor, and it better have a ton of bang for that price.

Agreed. That's why I like Epiphone too.

Great sound guitars for a fraction of the cost.

He's dreaming, but he may not be off by much. Elderly currently has a '65 Frontier in stock and they're asking $3,000: http://elderly.com/vintage/names/epiphone-ft110-frontier-%281965%29--20U-13861.htm

That said, I'm wondering if the pickguard is original. The cowboy-themed pickguards are part of the visual appeal of the Frontier. I've seen some big names playing Frontiers, all the way from Gram Parsons to Ryan Adams. As with all guitars, the proof is in the pudding and I'd have to hear how it sounds. But for five grand, there are a lot of other guitars that would be my first, second, third, fourth, etc. choices.

He's dreaming, but he may not be off by much. Elderly currently has a '65 Frontier in stock and they're asking $3,000: http://elderly.com/vintage/names/epiphone-ft110-frontier-%281965%29--20U-13861.htm

That said, I'm wondering if the pickguard is original. The cowboy-themed pickguards are part of the visual appeal of the Frontier. I've seen some big names playing Frontiers, all the way from Gram Parsons to Ryan Adams. As with all guitars, the proof is in the pudding and I'd have to hear how it sounds. But for five grand, there are a lot of other guitars that would be my first, second, third, fourth, etc. choices.

Welcome back, David!

Red 333

Wrong pick guard on his so its not original and that will reduce the price significantly and just because you see someone else list a price of $5000.00 doesn't mean that he got his asking price either. Noticed some folks are really stretching what they think thier guitars are worth and the market is just not there for some of those crazy prices.ship

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe resurrecting this thread, maybe it's just a case of slower life down here on the epi acoustics board. I've been away awhile and checking in.

It's a late-60s Frontier. As others noted the earlier ones with the rope and cactus pickguards are more sought after. Still a pre-norlin gibson, and if you're looking for a square shoulder from that area, this will make you stand out more than a hummingbird might. But no way will he ever see $5k for it

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/epiphon2.html

About 2/3's the way down, got a pic of the same model

Here's the '66 catalog acoustic page. Shows the reverse belly bridge, whereas the guitar above has a standard one.

epiphone66p8.jpg

Archived