Gibson Brands Forums

1949 LG-2 w/ repaired crack

Monggee

I'm currently looking at buying a 1949 Gibson LG-2. It plays beautifully, is all original w/ no repaired braces and is all together in very good shape except for a very noticeable 10" repaired crack in the top (it's more of a "gash" than a crack as it splits off--I'm sorry I don't have a photo). The dealer is a very well known and reputable guy and he says that structurally its a very good repair job but the look of it is pretty sloppy and even from a distance it is the first thing you notice about the guitar. It doesn't bother me so much since it sounds so great but I don't want to lose my *** if I were to ever re-sell it. He is asking $2800 which seems fair from a vintage dealer. Should this crack effect the value too much on true vintage instrument like this?

Thanks!

that sounds too high for that guitar................even without a repaired top

Really? Everything I've been able to find without major non-cosmetic repair work is between $3200 and above. Everything below $2700 has issues like it needs neck resets, has non original bridge, etc. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

From some quick market research, it looks like 40's LG-2's in "pristine" condition top out at about that asking price.

Generally speaking, any major structural repair, or modification, of a guitar will devalue the instrument by 50% (do your own math).

I also do not buy into (pun intended) the fact that we should pay extra for guitars just because they're being sold by a "reputable dealer". The www, with sites like e-bay and craig's list, have turned selling/buying anything into a "global marketplace".

I would continue to shop around.

Gotcha. I'm just leery about buying a guitar online w/o playing it. Seems like every old Gibson is it's own animal regardless of year and model... and I know he checks out his guitars inside and out for repairs etc. Thanks for the info.

Seems like you'd have a hard time getting your money back out of it. A major repaired crack on the back or sides is one thing, but a very noticeable crack on the top would be a deal breaker for many, me included. Give it time, and most likely a much better deal will come along.

From some quick market research, it looks like 40's LG-2's in "pristine" condition top out at about that asking price.

Generally speaking, any major structural repair, or modification, of a guitar will devalue the instrument by 50% (do your own math).

I also do not buy into (pun intended) the fact that we should pay extra for guitars just because they're being sold by a "reputable dealer". The www, with sites like e-bay and craig's list, have turned selling/buying anything into a "global marketplace".

I would continue to shop around.

So would a well repaired crack be considered a "major structural repair or modification"? I was thinking it was more cosmetic (although a very noticeable one). I guess it's hard to tell w/o photos. The only reason I brought up the "reputable dealer" thing was he's not going to sell me a guitar that's about to implode on itself as he has a reputation to uphold.

So would a well repaired crack be considered a "major structural repair or modification"? I was thinking it was more cosmetic (although a very noticeable one). I guess it's hard to tell w/o photos.

If the crack is as noticeable as you say, the quality of the repair is something I'd want to assess with the guitar in hand, in order to get a peek inside & see what was done. Is the repair structurally sound but poorly executed? A significant top crack would certainly constitute a very important structural repair that should be critically assessed.

If the crack is as noticeable as you say, the quality of the repair is something I'd want to assess with the guitar in hand, in order to get a peek inside & see what was done. Is the repair structurally sound but poorly executed? A significant top crack would certainly constitute a very important structural repair that should be critically assessed.

According to the dealer (he is selling it on consignment) it is a well done repair and he said he always inspects the guitars inside and out. That said, the crack gets at least 1/16 of an inch wide in places and is very visible. I don't know enough about guitar repair to assess the quality of the job. The dealer has been around a long time and everyone I talk to says he's very honest so I'm not worried about that. The guitar sounded better than all the other LG2s so I don't think it effected the sound at all.

As everyone has said, a post-banner LG-2 in excellent condition should fetch around $2500 to $2800 tops. From a dealer, expect the asking price to be as much as 30% above the street price.

A major top crack repair that is poorly done has to be considered a significant flaw. The same repair properly done would be a relatively minor consideration. Poor replacement of wood in a highly visible location devalues the guitar. The same repair should/could be done in a fashion that is virtually invisible.

Gotcha. I'm just leery about buying a guitar online w/o playing it. Seems like every old Gibson is it's own animal regardless of year and model... and I know he checks out his guitars inside and out for repairs etc. Thanks for the info.

Monggee...got my '56 LG2 by contacting an Ebay seller after a closed auction for $1750. Very sturdy and lively sounding all orig with no structural issues. You can do better. Don't be afraid of Ebay sellers who have great feedback. They don't want to lose their following with a bad deal.

I have a very nice 1960 LG-2 I am selling. It is in excellent condition. I purchased it a little less than 2 years ago from Gary's Classic Guitars in Ohio. I am asking $2100.00. There are no issues with the guitar and it has the original case. My home e-mail is kinglm@cox.net. I would be happy to send photos to anyone interested. I'll send photos of it even if you are not interested. [biggrin] It is a great guitar.

Archived