Gibson Brands Forums

Back wood?..

roughdiamond

Any thoughts?...just thought it interesting enough to post. Wonder what tones puts out of this jumbo?

This is a Bubinga guitar. Bubinga has a sound very much like that of Rosewood. It just might be the bargain in the Gibson line. Gibson has no idea what to do with the J-100. They have tried every possible wood combination over the years and this is just one of the many woods used in its production. I have two of them in the Mahogany version and have played a lot of them in Maple and Rosewood as well. I really like the warm huge full spectrum sound of the Mahogany but on any given day I can change my mind and go with the Bubinga. This guitar has a big bold clear sound and can produce an amazing volume. Bubinga can display grain anywhere from the amazing quilted patterns to the grain as seen here.A lot of the difference in grain pattern can be as simple as how the board is cut from the tree. Flat sawn as opposed to quarter sawn. Very cool guitar indeed.

This is a Bubinga guitar. Bubinga has a sound very much like that of Rosewood. It just might be the bargain in the Gibson line. Gibson has no idea what to do with the J-100. They have tried every possible wood combination over the years and this is just one of the many woods used in its production. I have two of them in the Mahogany version and have played a lot of them in Maple and Rosewood as well. I really like the warm huge full spectrum sound of the Mahogany but on any given day I can change my mind and go with the Bubinga. This guitar has a big bold clear sound and can produce an amazing volume. Bubinga can display grain anywhere from the amazing quilted patterns to the grain as seen here.A lot of the difference in grain pattern can be as simple as how the board is cut from the tree. Flat sawn as opposed to quarter sawn. Very cool guitar indeed.

How very interesting, thanks Hogeye. I'm always attracted to the under rated underdogs. Been wondering lately about rosewoods again but can't get over the EIR of recent years. Don't miss my '06 d28 or H&D d-rh I've passed on or the base price colling's I've tried. Prefer character axes. Just a couple of hog dreads currently (one honduran and the other African ribboned). Volume and muddiness don't count anymore as much as projection. Ever played the European maple 100s? Really liked a 2001 j200 with just a plain looking back (no flairey flames or quilt) with just a few elongated concentric rings. Light as a feather with that lush wall of sound bottom with that angelic clear deep mids and sweet highs. Haven't come across one like it since - didn't want to trade the '07 hummer for her but was mightily tempted. There's nothing quite like a hog short scale square dread I reckon for those bucks. Thanks again for rekindling an interest in gassing for another gibby for me[tongue]

PS would this be in the general suburb of the ballpark of a 'bubinga' 100 (forgive my choice and quality of vid) just that these guys seem to have the money..

I have a 94 Mahogany backed J-100 Xtra, which is my favourite guitar amongst those I own, but I sure want to add a Bubinga J-100 to my collection, as the two I have had the pleasure to try have been fantastic.

Steve.

Great just what I needed, an endorsement for another hog - more gas[scared]

Archived