Gibson Brands Forums

1940's & 50's LG-2s

Monggee

Thanks for all the advice about the 1949 LG-2 w/ the top crack. Yall convinced me to hold off for now and I'm going to start looking for other models including the online scources. How do the other 40s and 50s LG-2s compare with the '49 (I loved the feel and sound of the '49)? Any differences w/ the neck and tone? Are they pretty consistent as long as they are in good shape or are there a lot of lemons out there? Thanks again for all the help.

A great model! Compact and well-built, so you stand a good chance of finding an intact specimen. If they lack for anything, it's a resonant bass that I find present only on the 6th string. B25's, though many also sound great, are also light on the 6th string tone. A lot of us just complement our smaller woody sounding guitars with a bigger bell ringer. Different songs, different styles, different guitars, if you can afford to make that happen.

A great model! Compact and well-built, so you stand a good chance of finding an intact specimen. If they lack for anything, it's a resonant bass that I find present only on the 6th string. B25's, though many also sound great, are also light on the 6th string tone. A lot of us just complement our smaller woody sounding guitars with a bigger bell ringer. Different songs, different styles, different guitars, if you can afford to make that happen.

I love my '46 LG-2 -- a fun little guitar, sounds great, changed tuners that work better than what is standard (I think), and a cool vibe!

46GibsonLG-2front.jpg

Fred

Thanks for all the advice about the 1949 LG-2 w/ the top crack. Yall convinced me to hold off for now and I'm going to start looking for other models including the online scources. How do the other 40s and 50s LG-2s compare with the '49 (I loved the feel and sound of the '49)? Any differences w/ the neck and tone? Are they pretty consistent as long as they are in good shape or are there a lot of lemons out there? Thanks again for all the help.

Here's a guy I'd consider doing biz with. A nice LG2 at a reasonable price. He says no returns but Ebay won't let you misrepresent anything so ask a lot of questions and check it out. The nice thing about a higher end guitar is you can trade it back out and at least break even. It's like using your home to try out guitars you like. I've had good luck over the years. It takes a little patience sometimes, but it's so damn much fun.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Gibson-LG2-guitar-/140829762419?pt=Guitar&hash=item20ca1ba373

Here's a guy I'd consider doing biz with. A nice LG2 at a reasonable price. He says no returns but Ebay won't let you misrepresent anything so ask a lot of questions and check it out. The nice thing about a higher end guitar is you can trade it back out and at least break even. It's like using your home to try out guitars you like. I've had good luck over the years. It takes a little patience sometimes, but it's so damn much fun.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Gibson-LG2-guitar-/140829762419?pt=Guitar&hash=item20ca1ba373

That one looks quite nice, and the price is the right order of magnitude. The script logo is a plus, even though the later guitars, at least up until the late 50's, are pretty much identical in structural details. You really do need to play these to make sure it's a good one, but I would say that absent substantial repairs that might impact on sound--a lot of cleated top cracks, for example--there is a reasonable chance it will be a nice-sounding guitar.

These come up fairly often, and you can get pretty good buys if you are patient. I've had good luck being patient, and not jumping on guitars that were not great deals.

I'm with others - while I have an old J-200 the guitar Gibson I play the most is my 1946/1947 LG-2. Someone of this forum once said it best - the LG-2 is pretty much a mini-J45.

Theoretically, the only difference you might find between say a mid- and late-1940s LG-2 is the later ones should be a bit more consistent. Gibson was apparently a mess coming out of WWII. Beginning in 1948, however, organization was drastically improved and what became known as "the Gibson System" of building guitars was instituted.

Anway here be mine.

014.jpg

That one looks quite nice, and the price is the right order of magnitude.

I agree, it may be a good deal. But I don't think I could ever talk myself into buying a vintage piece, sight unseen, without any kind of return option. A whole lot of things need to be right for me to consider even a new guitar as a keeper. A vintage piece has even more to consider in the realm of previous repair work & structural stability, let alone tone & playability.

I agree, it may be a good deal. But I don't think I could ever talk myself into buying a vintage piece, sight unseen, without any kind of return option. A whole lot of things need to be right for me to consider even a new guitar as a keeper. A vintage piece has even more to consider in the realm of previous repair work & structural stability, let alone tone & playability.

You are absolutely correct. Buying vintage without first-hand inspection is always a risky proposition, and should usually be avoided. Of course, there are always exceptions......

Of course, there are always exceptions......

True, rules are made to be broken & never say never, but I'm just not much of a risk taker. I've got an AIUSA-JLH Sheraton scheduled to arrive tomorrow (w/ mini-hums & frequensator!), and am just about busting a gut with anticipation, but it's pure fun since there's a 30 day return period. If instead this were a no return situation, I'd be a terrified wreck!

Archived