Gibson Brands Forums

Lightweight Aluminum Stop Tail Piece - Fiction?

bluezguy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy crap a 2 and a half year old spellchek/grammar nazi end-around. He could be going for a record folks!

rct

I'm Jewish and I take offense to being called a Nazi. It's just always hilarious when illiterate people call normal people stupid.

Seems that nobody mentioned that aluminum provides a faster speed of sound than next to all other hardware materials. Moreover, less mass lets more of the vibration pass into the wood, more mass will reflect back some more.

Two of my Gibsons, a ca. 1973 L6-S and a 2012 Custom Shop Les Paul Standard, came with aluminum tailpieces stock.

I replaced the chrome-plated one of the L6-S with a TP-6 tailpiece, and guess what? There was less compression of tone, and the reaction to attack grew that much that I had to increase string action about 50%. Replacing a ZAMAK tailpiece with a TP-6 changes next to nothing sonically or actionwise - I did that on seven Gibsons.

The nickel-plated aluminum tailpiece is still on the particular Les Paul - they don't make a nickel-plated TP-6. The tone of that Les Paul is very dense, it even grows initially louder after attack, and string action without buzz is the fastest of all of my guitars.

I'm not going to get sucked into an unresolveable argument but...

The Gibson Historic Alu T-P over here works out as being a slightly less reasonable $160.......

P.

You not kidding there Pippy? $160 just for the stop bar? Whoa! Maybe next time get one of us to buy for you and then post on, could work out cheaper.

You not kidding there Pippy? $160 just for the stop bar? Whoa! Maybe next time get one of us to buy for you and then post on, could work out cheaper.

http://store.gibson.com/historic-lightweight-tailpiece/

Comes stock on lots of Custom Shop guitars - not Les Paul Custom models except Historics. Will not match Gibson USA guitars unless replacing the body inserts with the supplied ones.

yeah, I found a lot of replacement suppliers put the post inserts in just in case needed.

hey rct, I've heard of slow computer programmes before, but that spell check really does take the record! (LOL!)

still trying to figure out how such an old thread got dredged up again.

necro-posting alert!

[biggrin]

Guest Farnsbarns

thats what i found, the VOS R8's 7's and 9's are all premium models with aluminum stop bars ABR-1's among other differences (some have longer neck tennons) from what I have played and worked on the original designs sound right to my ears, however gibsons premium in my opinion are too high for the VOS R8 etc, most of the 'extra's' can be completed on a modern model for a fraction of the cost

I agree experiement if you can, i made some mistakes in purchases (TP6!!!) but I found some great pieces of hardware that have changed the tone and response of my guitars and found hardware that is inferior IMO

Like Pippy, I'm not joining in this time but I should just correct your mistake regarding VOS. In the world of reissues there are VOS models and "gloss" models, with VOS being considerably cheaper. I.e. not premium. VOS references a slightly flat lacquer finish which is simply achieved by omitting some buffing stages, saving money in the factory. Don't believe everything you assume. You may have assumed wrongly. Going on to assume more things on the basis of a flawed assumption and then posting that on the Internet as fact is where misinformation comes from.

I'm Jewish and I take offense to being called a Nazi. It's just always hilarious when illiterate people call normal people stupid.

Dont' act like a spellcheck/grammar nazi by calling out others four spelling and you won't be compared to one. As for being offended well, best to turn off you're computer now, its' the internet, most don't care what offends you.

rct

Dont' act like a spellcheck/grammar nazi by calling out others four spelling and you won't be compared to one. As for being offended well, best to turn off you're computer now, its' the internet, most don't care what offends you.

rct

*Don't* act like . . . *for* spelling . . . *your* computer . . . *it's* the internet . . .

I feel sorry for your mother. Illiterate people are funny and your anti-semitism really doesn't help your case. SMH.

*Don't* act like . . . *for* spelling . . . *your* computer . . . *it's* the internet . . .

I feel sorry for your mother. Illiterate people are funny and your anti-semitism really doesn't help your case. SMH.

I feel sorry for your mother. Yer so EFFING stupid you can't even see when yer gettin had. Do me a personal favor, throw down the anti-semite card in a game in which somebody cares about it. If that's all you got you should be ashamed of yourself.

rct

I feel sorry for your mother. Yer so EFFING stupid you can't even see when yer gettin had. Do me a personal favor, throw down the anti-semite card in a game in which somebody cares about it. If that's all you got you should be ashamed of yourself.

rct

You mad, bro? I feel ashamed for feeding the troll. Hilarious though. Thanks for the laughs. Good stuff. Getting all worked up over my intelligence makes me happy. I'll stop feeding you now, so please, go on. Try to stay on topic, rct. You're only stressing yourself out.

You mad, bro? I feel ashamed for feeding the troll. Hilarious though. Thanks for the laughs. Good stuff. Getting all worked up over my intelligence makes me happy. I'll stop feeding you now, so please, go on. Try to stay on topic, rct. You're only stressing yourself out.

Feeding the troll? Is it 1997? Are you on yer moms AOL account?

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, I for one am not anti-Semitic and take any such prejudices very seriously. I still think you're a knob though.

Well, I for one am not anti-Semitic and take any such prejudices very seriously. I still think you're a knob though.

Well I for one am not a 500k potentiometer's top-hat, but I take weak insults from random internet "dewsh"-nozzles very seriously. Just kidding. Let's try and keep it civil and on topic, folks. [flapper]

post-31298-055890100 1424433325_thumb.jpg

10 Decades long performer here who bought into the hype about lightweight aluminum stop bars. I really coulda used the money for something else [cursing]

My 2003 LP Standard sounds exactly the same as it did with the stock Zamick. I firmly believe people sometimes really want to hear a difference that doesn't exist when money has been spent.

Before you buy one of these exaggerated claim pieces called a 'lightweight aluminum stop tail piece' for your beloved Les Paul, record your stock one, then, with the same strings and your new piece of joy attached, record again.

One thing for sure .. they sure are light ...

I'll do this in a week or so on my next string change and will post results here.

Hello Bluezguy,

It was interesting to read your post. I've become a firm believer in modifications if they improve a guitar in some way and enhance playing enjoyment. My first guitar was a Hamer Sunburst, an Korean made copy of a Les Paul Junior I think, a double cutaway, about the same price as an Epiphone Les Paul. It was really comfortable to play, but sounded awful! My second electric was an American PRS singlecut, and then a Gibson 59 reissue. Both these American-made guitars highlighted just how dull my Hamer sounded.

On the Hamer, I had already replaced the original "Duncan designed" pickups and fitted a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates at the bridge. These 'proper' pickups made a huge difference, but as I said the guitar sounded dull compared to the two American guitars.

Of course, you will think I was expecting too much for a guitar costing a fraction of the other two to sound as good as them; however, I just wondered what if I upgraded with the right parts, what would she sound like, what is the potential of an Asian guitar if it's fitted with some professional parts?

I did some extensive research on this Gibson forum, especially on the custom shop forums, where some of the guys there are fanatical about the smallest of improvements. I finally formed a list of parts, and decided to spend some money on this experiment. I was recommended to take my guitar to Feline guitars, a workshop repairing and also making their own instruments.

I read out the list of parts I wanted to fit, and Johnathon the technician and owner, just grinned, of course it was work for him, and the parts were not cheap! He told me that these parts, working together would transform this Hamer, and he added, it would make my custom shop Les Paul sound dull in comparison. I thought this was an overestimation of the changes these parts would effect. Interestingly, one of the parts was an aluminium stoptail.

The stoptail. nut and all the electrical parts were replaced, the original tuners and bridge were left alone.

A week later I called in to collect my Hamer.

The guitar I collected was so different, it was unrecognisable, it looked the same, but that was all. Playing this guitar unplugged, it's much louder, the string vibrations can be felt right through the body. When the stoptail was replaced with an aluminium one, Tone Pros locking nuts were used to hold the stoptail tight to the body, perhaps this helps? I asked why a lighter stoptail should make a positive difference, Jonathon dropped my original stoptail onto the workbench, then an aluminium one, the aluminium stoptail made a ringing sound, he said that's the difference! He then demonstrated the same thing with the Earvana nut, and a conventional plastic one (the standard nut on my Les Paul was nylon) The Earvana nut rang, while the plastic nut made no ringing sound whatsoever.

Perhaps, each modification makes a small difference, however, I firmly believe that the secret here is that it's a question of the sum of the parts, each part working with the next, each making a small contribution, but working together they make a HUGE difference! These modifications really opened the floodgates to sustain and tone, I heard those Seymour Duncan pickups for the first time, this guitar is now an absolute joy to play!

I really don't think that you wasted your money, try locking nuts to firmly hold that stoptail in place, it might make a difference? If it does make a difference, look for the next weakest link :)

Can't speak for the tail piece, but after trying to file, then replace the nut on my SG myself unsucessfuly, I took it into the shop and had a bone nut hand cut and installed for the low, low price of $160 bucks...(set-up as well), as I believed that when I strummed my first chord with my new bone nut, the heavens would part and the angels would sing.... Sadly my guitar sounded exactly every bit as great and awesome as it did without the bone nut..... If anyone can truly hear a difference, then you are either putting yourself on, or have bionic hearing.

Coulda had a graphtec nut installed for half the price....... live and learn....

IMGA0447.jpg

... I took it into the shop and had a bone nut hand cut and installed for the low, low price of $160 bucks...(set-up as well)

[scared] This is indeed a lot of money. They charged 55 EUR at Thomann for that including PLEK cut of the string grooves, using the natural or bleached bone blanks I liked for the specific Gibson guitars. Perhaps I should add it was about older ones and some others I had bought elsewhere. I never had to pay for it on guitars I had bought at Thomann recently. They told me it's their customer service. [thumbup]

Can't speak for the tail piece, but after trying to file, then replace the nut on my SG myself unsucessfuly, I took it into the shop and had a bone nut hand cut and installed for the low, low price of $160 bucks...(set-up as well), as I believed that when I strummed my first chord with my new bone nut, the heavens would part and the angels would sing.... Sadly my guitar sounded exactly every bit as great and awesome as it did without the bone nut..... If anyone can truly hear a difference, then you are either putting yourself on, or have bionic hearing.

Coulda had a graphtec nut installed for half the price....... live and learn....

IMGA0447.jpg

The only problem with a bone nut is that it only comes into play on the open strings. Most chords and riffs are bringing the frets into play. I would suspect that the bridge and tailpiece are more important than nut material.

Archived