Gibson Brands Forums

Lightweight Aluminum Stop Tail Piece - Fiction?

bluezguy

Can't speak for the tail piece, but after trying to file, then replace the nut on my SG myself unsucessfuly, I took it into the shop and had a bone nut hand cut and installed for the low, low price of $160 bucks...(set-up as well), as I believed that when I strummed my first chord with my new bone nut, the heavens would part and the angels would sing.... Sadly my guitar sounded exactly every bit as great and awesome as it did without the bone nut..... If anyone can truly hear a difference, then you are either putting yourself on, or have bionic hearing.

Coulda had a graphtec nut installed for half the price....... live and learn....

That's a lovely SG! Looks quite futuristic compared to my Les Paul.

I also considered a bone nut, I was talked into the Earvana because it also cleans up the intonation at the headstock end of the scale, making chords crisper and more musical, while the material improves sustain and tone, compared to the original nylon nut.

Sometimes having restrictions placed upon us pushes us to explore in ways we wouldn't normally venture. I live in a small house, my guitar room is a small bedroom, so I have to improvise by using my tiny AER acoustic guitar amp for my electric guitars, well, just the power stage, and a Line 6 preamp to make it a guitar amp rig. The point I'm making here, is that I learnt something by having this great acoustic amp, the AER is fantastic at reproducing a signal with very little colouration, so plug an electric guitar into this amp directly, and you hear 'exactly' what your electric guitar sounds like! Of course you are not going to play an electric like this, but as a reference, it's a great tool for checking your guitar by ear. This is what lead me to begin developing my Asian Hamer, which was originally painful to play direct through the AER.

I agree with you, it's the open strings which would be affected by a better nut, while all the strings all the time will be affected by the bridge and stoptail. I play chords and open strings, so I want all three of these components to be performing. I think it's important to use good strings, and check the setup is correct, action, neck, intonation, frets, pickup height, pickup pole height? Then make sure you have a good reference amp, preferably a good acoustic amp. Perhaps, we also have to develop an ear for tone, like we have to develop an ear for notes? I'm not sure, but I'm certain that I don't have bionic hearing :) I do wish I had bionic playing abilities!!

Please don't give up, the right components working together do make significant differences, very real changes, not imagined ones.

It's a bit like tuning a car engine, changing one part might not make a significant difference, the performance is only as good as the weakest link in the chain.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am quite pleased with my tone...I play a 1987 Marshall JCM800, 4212 Combo. Sounds like heaven!! LOL. I just didn't hear any difference between the stock and bone nuts whether it be on open strings or not. I get comments on how great my sound is often, not bragging, but I think most of the tone comes from the player, not the nut or tailpiece....

I am quite pleased with my tone...I play a 1987 Marshall JCM800, 4212 Combo. Sounds like heaven!! LOL. I just didn't hear any difference between the stock and bone nuts whether it be on open strings or not. I get comments on how great my sound is often, not bragging, but I think most of the tone comes from the player, not the nut or tailpiece....

Yes, I agree completely, the player is the MOST important component..... it's just that my playing is so bad that I have to make my guitars sound so great to hide my inexperience!! Ha! I've heard many stories about someone thinking that a certain guitarist's rig sounds great, and when they play through it using the same guitar even, it sounds completely different.

I'm sure that your tone sounds great, SG's have an amazing weighty sound, due I think to the all-mahogany body? By the way, what pickups are on your SG?

A Marshall, I'm drooling.... heaven indeed... I wish I could play with some volume..... I want to get a hand-wired amp, I'm considering a Blackstar Artisan A30 combo, made by two ex-Marshall wizards...... do you think this a good choice?

I've played a cpl Blackstar amps, very nice indeed. Crunchy Marshall'esque sound leaning towards the 'boutique" side of things...EL 84's in them maybe...? My SG is a 2011 Standard 24 anniversary model....57 classic pickups in her....lots o crunchy bite!

Archived