Gibson Brands Forums

Collings I-35 vs Es-335 yours thoughts please

cigblues

Just read the gear page comparing these 2 guitars. While I do play a Collings acoustic, I prefer my Old D-28 Martin. Even though I admit the supreme quality of a Collings. They have a different sound in my experience with my acoustics. I haven't played the Collings I-35...I do not think I will. What for? Just not interested. We all know Collings is all about quality, and Gibson is hit or miss, but when you got a good one, nothing plays or sounds any better than I need a guitar to do. My Fat Boy 335 in antique red does it for me. And the 57 Classics...forget about it. I wonder if Eric Clapton, BB King , or Freddy King would switch. Its not just history or character. Its the sound and the feel.

I stopped in a local GC yesterday and they had a used Collings I-35 priced around $4200 in their Platinum room hanging next to a 335. It was beautiful but was on a locking hanger and since I'm not in the market for a guitar in that price range right now, didn't ask to play it. I did take a good look at it and build quality was excellent. The Body is a bit smaller than the 335. It's red and at the Southfield, Michigan store if you are considering used.

And variety is the spice of life. I think many of the great's would agree and probably play/own many different brands and styles. Clapton, Hendrix, Bonamassa, etc., all have (or had) and play different guitars through their careers. While Bonamassa appears to prefer Les Pauls, I see him switching to 335's and Music Man's, etc. all the time. If I had the money, I'd have a guitar store full of different models and play them all!

I read a test review of one and the player loved it. I personally see Collings as a niche make. I don't think you see one in a rock band. More Jazz and session musician stuff. They're nice though. I'd probably buy a Hamer Newport semi over either if wanted one.

• 8 years later...
On 8/25/2012 at 9:20 AM, Blueblooded said:

I stopped in a local GC yesterday and they had a used Collings I-35 priced around $4200 in their Platinum room hanging next to a 335. It was beautiful but was on a locking hanger and since I'm not in the market for a guitar in that price range right now, didn't ask to play it. I did take a good look at it and build quality was excellent. The Body is a bit smaller than the 335. It's red and at the Southfield, Michigan store if you are considering used.

And variety is the spice of life. I think many of the great's would agree and probably play/own many different brands and styles. Clapton, Hendrix, Bonamassa, etc., all have (or had) and play different guitars through their careers. While Bonamassa appears to prefer Les Pauls, I see him switching to 335's and Music Man's, etc. all the time. If I had the money, I'd have a guitar store full of different models and play them all!

I'm in the Detroit area( Lincoln Park, as you can see)  and there's a GC in neighboring Allen Park and over in Canton on Ford Rd., but where exactly is the Southfield store? 

Whitefang

One thing we need to remember is that the ES-335 is now stocked with calibrated T-type pickups replacing the long used 57 Classics, and there is a significant difference in the two. But for me, the relevant factors in the evaluation are build quality, feel, neck shape (today's 335 is a "rounded C"), scale, playability, finish, etc.

As we all know, Gibson quality is hit or miss, though I've not heard anything bad about Gibson quality with their new management (having closed Memphis), and I know personally that they seem to be more customer service oriented. That said, I've never even played a Collings, but I've never heard anything bad about them.... in fact, just the opposite.... only excellent. Only price seems to be the downside. I absolutely love my 2020 ES-335, although I think the 57 Classics are a better fit for that guitar. 

Comparing sound is, I suppose, a relevant comparison, but least important for me, because all of the other factors mean more. I can always switch out pickups.

Edited by zigzag