Gibson Brands Forums

Tropical Storm Isaac?

MrNylon

Any one here watching Tropical Storm Isaac? I was hoping the Mountains in Cuba would have taken it out. That didn't happen. I'm glad I'm on the southeast side of FL for this one. If any one is in Isaac's way, stay safe. [thumbup]

Looks like Hurricane Isaac now.

Growing up in New Orleans, I don't take a storm serious unless it's 100+ mph. So we'll see. Katrina was raw, but that was then, etc. We'll see what's up tomorrow around dinnertime.

My gut sez it's ill-defined, poorly formed. Katrina had a pissed-off eye early on, and was well-structured in addition to stewing in an uncommonly hot Gulf.

Nonetheless, handle your business Gulf Coasters!

Growing up in South East Florida, I've been in a number of them.

I know to live in a well constructed home, and NOT one with an asphalt shingle roof, and on higher ground. I know to store food and water and keep the generator in working order with a supply of fuel. I know that in other than a freak storm like Andrew (that spawned many tornadoes) taking the correct precautions and choosing your home wisely makes them very survivable.

And I know that when I was a child and a young adult, they were fun (I still remember a week long "hurricane" party in an apartment complex near the University of Miami that we nicknamed "The Zoo" because of the animals that lived there).

And I know that now that I'm grown up and have to put the storm awnings down, the storm panels up, and clean up when it's done, a hurricane is a major PITA. I'm glad it veered west and missed me, and wish the best of luck to those in it's path.

Notes

[confused]

Mountains disrupt storms. That's why climates are sometimes drastically different on opposite sides of a mountain range.

Isaac is downgraded to Category 1. I bet you my left nut it will fizzle out even more. I suspect mega news channels are bummed that they'll be deprived of a spookier storyline.

Anybody riding out the storm only has to worry if they'll run out of booze, cigarettes, and gas. Probably in that order.

Mountains disrupt storms. That's why climates are sometimes drastically different on opposite sides of a mountain range.

Isaac is downgraded to Category 1. I bet you my left nut it will fizzle out even more. I suspect mega news channels are bummed that they'll be deprived of a spookier storyline.

Anybody riding out the storm only has to worry if they'll run out of booze, cigarettes, and gas. Probably in that order.

Got it. It's the whole principle that hurricanes gain power over open water and dissipate over land masses. Wasn't sure if this was some meteorological phenomenon or wanting of destruction to some island nation.

The highest point in Fl for me was that AC/DC concert at the sportatorium!

I was at The Hollywood Sportatorium quite a bit when it was there. I remember when the Sportatorium, and the Speedway opened on Hollywood Blvd. out there on.

I was hoping the Mountains in Cuba would have taken it out. That didn't happen.

The mountains on the East side of Cuba have some 10,000 foot high peaks. Tropical storms don't do well interacting with them. The mountains can disrupt the energy in the higher winds of the central circulation of the storm.

Archived