Gibson Brands Forums

Neil Armstrong died.

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Rabs Vista

You must be looking in the wrong place because its all over the news #-o.I do clearly remember sitting around the tv at school age 6 watching Mr Armstrongs first step. R.I.P

I stand corrected! It must have been incredible to watch at the time.

I watched in awe as he stepped down on to the surface of the moon. For centuries, man looked at the moon in the sky. In the magic summer of 1969, Armstrong, and Aldrin turned the page in the history of man kind. RIP Neil Armstrong.

Wouldn,t it be wonderful to see man back on the moon in the near future, can you imagine the incredible footage with all of todays tecnology hd,3d.The whole mission could be followed from launch to landing and back in real time, Ive always wondered if they would still have to use the old style splash down? The whole world would be glued to there Tvs again. [biggrin]

Wouldn,t it be wonderful to see man back on the moon in the near future, can you imagine the incredible footage with all of todays tecnology hd,3d.The whole mission could be followed from launch to landing and back in real time, Ive always wondered if they would still have to use the old style splash down? The whole world would be glued to there Tvs again. [biggrin]

I wish it would happen also. We need to get man's spirit of exploration back again.

He is one of that relatively small number of people who has been given his rightful place in history books the whole world over.

I, too, watched the TV mesmerised as he stepped out on to the surface of the moon.

RIP, Mr Armstrong.

P.

Mention has been made of Neil's polite but disappointed reaction to the cancellation of the moon etc space programme...

V

:-({|=

Two years ago, Mr. Armstrong gave a deposition to The Congress about the NASA cutbacks. This was an enormous step in the very private life of one of the most respected of anyone in the world.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

You were a hero to countless boys across not only this nation, but the entire world.

I hope your courageous contribution to the exploration of space helps to continue to push us deeper and deeper into our solar system and beyond.

God speed.

Snapshot2012-08-2611-04-09.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEUEMvUzrDE

My brother got to meet him. Neil was a very humble man. When my brother asked for his autographed he simply said "I was just doing my job." I got to spend the day with Buzz Aldrin once, who did give me his autograph. He's quite the opposite of Neil, and some think he's very arrogant. But he was very nice to me. I never did ask him about Neil though.

Anyhow, this is a sad day indeed. What is sadder is that he died knowing that our entire human space program is in limbo. I can tell you that if we are given marching orders to get to Mars before the end of the decade we could do it. I can also tell you doing that would inspire more kids to go into engineering than our current education system. That's something Neil knew all too well and it was about the only thing he was outspoken about. But it's a different world today, politically (I'll stopped here before I get banned).

Stating the obvious...of course...

It is very moving to hear B Obama's tribute to Neil...

Putting into perspective the general loud-mouth celebrity ethos which distracts the bored populace from 'those who do the work'

And make permanent contributions to adventure, knowledge, pioneering spirit, imagination, can-do philosophy....

Role models like this are extremely rare... [thumbup]

V

Part of a statement I read from his family:

"Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

As to what Rocketman wrote...

And... I never met the moonwalk guys, but... I did talk with an astronaut or two.

Ages ago I also did get to talk one-on-one with von Braun.

Not to take anything at all from the astronauts or JFK, nor to get things into partisan sorts of politics, but...

I think nowadays especially people don't realize the impact that von Braun had not just as a "scientist," but more as a leader and person who could sway others. I'm convinced that without him, and perhaps also his quiet second in command Bob Seamans, America's space program would have been far more military and less "exploration" directed.

Von Braun was a visionary who, I think, really wanted rockets to do what mankind had dreamed of since they realized the moon was another "planet" circling our own.

At least, that's pretty much how he had me seeing his perspective back then. And I was then, as now, more than a bit cynical when planning an interview with a "big name."

I don't think it's politics per se that has put our world's space programs into "local" stuff like ICBMs and various satellites and an occasional robot traveling elsewhere.

I think it's the lack of an exploring spirit regardless of danger; and a willingness to commit to whatever it would take from the basic science (that could fail, making the scientists look "stupid") to actually hopping into a "space ship."

Yeah, I'm cynical here. I just think that as a group, us folks in "developed" nations are so involved in the mundane of daily "politics" at home and work, and video games and movies that have no point but adrenalin rushes, as well as "universal" individual "comfort," that "we" are allowing humanity into the dangerous position of species entropy.

I'd like to be able to blame this or that American political party - and if I were Russian, this or that leadership cabal, and if Chinese or Japanese... yada yada.

Unfortunately I see it as the malaise of comfort and focus on maintaining just that, at the expense of looking beyond the horizon. Or, should I suggest as we are drawn into the black hole of desire only for universal comfort, we can't see beyond the event horizon and at that point, it does no good to think of the future regardless, because there ain't any.

m

Eloquent words from milod [thumbup]

I agree the world is painfully re-orientating itself as we speak...

A certain % of the developed world has got complacent/lazy/greedy/bored with the results of earlier pioneers

Linking in with the economic mismanagement...we are in a limbo age of endless re-hash(low risk) music, art, movies etc

All muddied by the 'infinite' information instant access internet

In a word...we have infinite, powerful access to 'we know not what :blink:'

Pioneers are a rare breed, often on the edge of sanity or whatever...

Exciting times... [biggrin]

V

I agree with everything you said Milo. My technical grandfather (my Ph.D.'s advisor's advisor) interned under von Braun and Seamans, and he says exactly what you said. We need to get that vision back somehow. I've given several talks about space exploration to young kids. Most still say they want to be astronauts when they grow up. What do we tell them now?

Well said Milod, IMO when we killed the Apollo mission space exploration lost it's pizzazz. We should have built a base of operations on the moon and used it to build a deep space exploration complex there. We were side tracked by the SSI which just doesn't capture the imagination as the moon does. I have met a few men who were involved in the space program, I did met was Richard Scobee rest his soul. They are all exceptional.

Archived