Gibson Brands Forums

Black Country Communion

CoreyT

I have heard Joe's name mentioned here before, and there was an article on him and cover shot with either Guitar Player or Guitar World.

I must admit I had never listened to their music before, but it was on the Palladia channel yesternight from a 2011 concert in Europe with music from their first two CDs.

I was totally blown away, tight bass lines, and Joe's guitar really sings.

He had 3 Les Pauls, and some kind of light blue guitar with what looked like a Music Man headstock with the familiar 4 on top, 2 tuners on the bottom.

Which are the recommended MP3 albums to get?

Not sure if you can see this link if you are not an Amazon member.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1346018355/ref=sr_shvl_1-all?ie=UTF8&keywords=black%20country%20communion&rh=n%3A163856011%2Cn%3A!624868011%2Ck%3Ablack%20country%20communion%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A625150011

It looks like the Liver Over Europe 2011 may contain the songs that were in the concert I just watched.

Their music reminds me of Dream Theater, some of it since some of their stuff is prog.

But Joe's guitar sound is quite different than John Petrucci.

Is he on his own now, or is he still with BCC?

I also noticed that Led Zeps drummers son Jason Bonham was the drummer.

They have been 1 of my favorite bands for the last several years. I have written about them before on here most of the time there met with indifference or open hostility. Not real sure what that's all about.

I don't get the criticisms either. Apparently, texture is most important nowadays, rather than skill. For example, The Edge is not a great player skill wise, but his textures make him good. Andy Summers has both intense textures and intense skills IMHO.

But bands like BCC don't get as much love as they should because the so-called "guitar hero" thing, as well as epic solos and epic talent from each member, aren't "cool" anymore. Rush wouldn't make it if they were starting out today the way they originally started out. They would if they started with Moving Pictures. But 2112 probably wouldn't fly in 2012 as a new record. 20-minute epics, shrieking high vocals, and that kind of musicianship wouldn't be accepted as well as it did then. I have yet to hear a newer drummer that qualifies as a "thunder-drummer". And, as a drummer, I miss large, double-bass kits other than in the harder side of metal. And I'm sick and tired of rock bands nowadays that all sound the same.

In my mind, BCC is probably the best hard rock band around these days (in MY mind, mind you!). They sound like thunder, the musicianship is highly exceptional, the songs aren't the cliche watered down crap that plagues many groups now, and the vocals and lyrics don't bring me down so low I get rug burn on my chin. And it isn't all about the guitar (ie, the drums are important too, and drummers can love Jason like we love Joe). The only downfall I can think of is how big they are: unfortunately, not big enough to reach the kids that are stuck with overplayed classics and Nickelback (in other words, they don't have a good bait to reel them into the business of rockin!). That isn't a problem for me, as I go out of my way to find great music, but the youngsters that don't do that are missing out on an inspiration to pick up an instrument simply because of the record industry alone.

Stupid record companies!

They have been 1 of my favorite bands for the last several years. I have written about them before on here most of the time there met with indifference or open hostility. Not real sure what that's all about.

I have listened to Joe and his band BCC and although I think he is a fantastic player that I can only hope to get close to BCC just bores me. I guess I am getting too old for that stuff.

Nothing new there.

Thanks for the link GuitarBuilder.

I also thought it was cool they did not dress up like a lot of the rockers by dressing flashy.

The clothes they word they could have walked into a church and fit right in.

Funny, I have never thought of BCC as a Joe Bonamossa project. Although I had heard of him before I didn't own anything of his and what little clips I heard here and there sounded a lot like reworked Eric Johnson riffs to me.

But...

I have been a big Glenn Hughes fan since his work with Deep Purple and Tony Iommi. I think he has an amazing voice and he's a very good bass player. I watched his comeback attempt in the 90's that just didn't make it and I figure he was all done like so many other talented guys who time forgets.

Then a little time ago I heard this song he did with a Billy Sheehan project called Niacin.

I was blown away. While looking for more of this on YouTube I was exposed to the first BCC shows and I've been hooked every since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_JQWX9uOE

Funny, I have never though of BCC as a Joe Bonamossa project. Although I had heard of him before I didn;t own anything of his and what little clips I heard here and there sounded a lot like reworked Eric Johnson riffs to me.

But...

I have been a big Glenn Hughes fan since his work with Deep Purple and Tony Iommi. I think he has an amazing voice and he's a very good bass player. I watch his comeback attempt in the 90's that just didn't make it and I figure he was all done like so many other talented guy who time forgets.

Then a little time ago I heard this song he did with a Billy Sheehan project called Niacin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8gmoyYU4gI

I was blown away. While looking for more of this on YouTube I was exposed to the first BCC shows and I've been hooked every since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_JQWX9uOE

Is it just me, or does Joe have no stage presence at all?

If I was in his situation (playing "Burn" with Mr. Hughes), I'd be bouncing all over the stage like Yngwie does!

Archived