Gibson Brands Forums

What cleans sweat off of the nitro finish?

telemaster03

So, after playing in warm temps this weekend I was careful to wipe the guitar down after each set. However, I notice that there is about a 4" area on the bout where your arm drapes over the guitar. My standard guitar cleaner (Planet Waves) doesn't quite remove it.

Any suggestions? A different cleaner, maybe?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hey,

I have the same mark, I think it's from playing in a t shirt, I don't sweat, so I think it's the skin? that does it.

I was thinking of wearing a long sleeved jumper or shirt, when i jam on my couch, but thought that's just to anal, lol.

Don't do it, that's the stuff that will spark guitar forum threads in 50 years and have future pluckers getting all worked up about he genuine mojo and whatnot... In fact may I suggest getting arrested a few times and some acts that might end up in notoriety, this will only increase the price of your herd for those they're left to.

Glad that you caught it early and asked this group Nothing will help if you don't act guickly. Once the damage is done it's done. Believe me I've tried everything short of a power sander. It is caused by a chemical reaction between your body chemicals and the nitro that can't be reversed. IMHO. Happened to my AJ ... did it myself by not wiping down the guitar after use. I do so now with my new ones and clean with Virtuoso at each string change.

Virtuoso is as good as anything for removing that sweat marring on a nitro finish, but once it begins it will soon return. It does indeed appear to be a chemical reaction with the finish that nothing much defends against. It varys from one individual to another but it is pretty much an unavoidable consequence of playing guitar and sweating, neither of which we can help but do. So wear a long sleeve shirt or a sock top on your forearm or just enjoy adding mojo to your guitar!

I had that problem with an Ovation I have plus I didn't like the sharpness of the edge.

I put a John Pearse Arm Rest on it and love it. It feels great and I think it makes the guitar look good.

It also helps the guitar ring out better since my arm isn't resting on the sound board.

I've been hesitant to put it on my Martins or Gibsons since I don't know what to expect if I wanted to take it off.

It has a narrow double face tape that sticks to the outer edge on top og the binding.

http://www.jpstrings.com/armrest.htm

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Archived