Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning issues when playing open chords

EFC

Hi, I love playing my SG, but recent months has found me needing to play more open chords in my band. Even though it's perfectly setup and in-tune, playing a D and other open chords often sound out-of-tune.

It's so bizarre. I love this guitar so much but it's really making me question using it as much in the fututre.

Any ideas, tips, similar experiences?

Thanks,

PS:it's not me pulling too hard on the neck, it happens if playing 'lightly'...

Gibson nuts are deliberately high from the factory to account for players who depress the frets very lightly. If you're heavy handed your open chords, being nearer to the nut, will often be out of tune on a new Gibby. Don't lower the nut slots themselves, rather the nut needs to be lowered by filing it at the base- be careful not to over-do it. It should be knocked out gently after scoring its edges with a craft knife (which prevents the finish getting chipped.) Rule out other causes of tuning problems first though- poor intonation, string binding in the nut slots, incorrect stringing technique....

I am thinking it's the intonation. At least that is what it sounds like to me.

Easy check: If it sounds in tune when those open chord fingerings are depressed deliberately lightly then the nut is too high for that player. I've never had a guitar come from the factory really badly intonated, even when they just do the two rows of three thing it's not very noticable.

Hi, I love playing my SG, but recent months has found me needing to play more open chords in my band. Even though it's perfectly setup and in-tune, playing a D and other open chords often sound out-of-tune.

It's so bizarre. I love this guitar so much but it's really making me question using it as much in the fututre.

Any ideas, tips, similar experiences?

Thanks,

PS:it's not me pulling too hard on the neck, it happens if playing 'lightly'...

Good suggestions on here, I too would double check the intonation. I have felt that this issue can be compromised somewhat by getting 10-52, and lowering the strings closer to the frets. You will hear alot about raising them too, and you have to find a decent compromise. If they are closer when you press on the strings they will stretch less making them stay the same length, as opposed to pressing and have the string go down to the fret stretching it slightly longer, sharper, and somewhat out of tune. (try to keep above the buzz) actually I have found that a little buzz is ok as long as it is not reproduced electrically.

Also, get several types, (I know expense) good piano, or my favorite pitch pipe, and electronic tuners if you can. Then notice which one is your favorite. One will work better for you than the other. But switch around and really listen, or watch the needle. You will get it.

A guitar is always somewhat out of tune, primarily because of the design. Tuning each string perfectly to pitch with an electronic tuner actually makes things worse! And yes, the G and B strings tend to be the most obvious.

There are numerous alternative ways to tune a guitar (most with the strings being a few cents off) that are good compromises. A Google search will get you there. I use a method that starts with only the high E string tuned with a tuner. All others are tuned relative to that string.

And, the WORST way to tune a guitar is via the 5th and 7th fret harmonics.....

A guitar is always somewhat out of tune, primarily because of the design. Tuning each string perfectly to pitch with an electronic tuner actually makes things worse! And yes, the G and B strings tend to be the most obvious.

There are numerous alternative ways to tune a guitar (most with the strings being a few cents off) that are good compromises. A Google search will get you there. I use a method that starts with only the high E string tuned with a tuner. All others are tuned relative to that string.

And, the WORST way to tune a guitar is via the 5th and 7th fret harmonics.....

You sound like an internet expert. Tell me more about how tuning a guitar is bad.

I think Alan nails this.. open chords, where strings are not sounding quite in tune is indeed most often the nut.

Although the remedy Alan mentions is not what most setup guys will do,, they will just regulate the nut slots based on the strings the person will use. However, I think I like that approach too.

Find a decent setup guy, and have a chat about your problem. It's usually very easily addressed.

Archived