Gibson Brands Forums

Wow! Willie Nelson's son

JohnnyReb

Too bad that the people on the video don't take much attention to the man singing.

I'm impressed! Like EA says, he's got his old man's voice, but he's surely got talent.

He has got an interesting voice, that's for sure!

I saw Nelson and his son last summer in the Kansas City area. It was one of the Farm Aid shows. When they talked together at the mic you could here the same speech patterns and pronunciation of words. When they were talking together in the mic, there was no reverb and the first song they sang together had no reverb from what we could tell. HOwever, after the reverb was added they sounded almost identical. I think part of the similarity is the echo you get with the reverb. Anyway, Luke was okay, but we went to hear his father. I'm sure Luke has more talent than I do, but my advice (possibly lame advice) would be to be "you," not dad. I don't know how good Luke Nelson is, but I suspect he's at least the equal and perhaps measureably better than many of the present-day country studs pretending to be stars. And in the songs we heard him perform, he can "carry a tune." [thumbup]

I saw Willie in 1989 (ish) somewhere in New Jersey (Morristown I think). He was supported by Garth Brooks and all I remember about the whole concert is GB was introduced as the next big thing in music and WN said '@ss' in one of his songs (I was 10 years old [biggrin]).

Wish I had paid a bit more attention back then haha!!

I can't help but feel like he's trying to sing like Willie. Maybe it's genetics, maybe it's environment, or maybe it just pays better.

I know there are some notable exceptions, but I hear him and I think about Marty Haggard, Peggy and Patsy Lynn, Michael Twitty, Georgette Jones, and so many other children of country artists that never could get things going. It's a catch-22. Being who you are-the child of a superstar, gets you on the launch pad, but being who you aren't, as in-not as good as the original, keeps you from getting off the ground.

I can't help but feel like he's trying to sing like Willie. Maybe it's genetics, maybe it's environment, or maybe it just pays better.

I know there are some notable exceptions, but I hear him and I think about Marty Haggard, Peggy and Patsy Lynn, Michael Twitty, Georgette Jones, and so many other children of country artists that never could get things going. It's a catch-22. Being who you are-the child of a superstar, gets you on the launch pad, but being who you aren't, as in-not as good as the original, keeps you from getting off the ground.

That's why America provides several narcotic outlets.... the choice is in just how gansta you are? It's like Scientolog/y except trendier.

Archived