Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j200

todde4ever

Hi everyone,

i bought a brandnew Gibson J200 Vintage Suburst (2012). I love the guitar a lot but i've got one question and maybe someone of you can give some tipps.

The store where i bought the guitar told me that the guitar need to "swing in" because it's new cause no one but the gibson factory guys tested and played the guitar. the tone is brilliant and has a long sustain so far but only the E on 12 fret (Low E-string) and on the 7th fret (A-string) is not as good as every other tone. if i should describe it i would say the tone is very short and not very brilliant.

has anyone an idea if this "problem" fades from time time or is it a typical j200 problem?!?!

greetings,

todde4ever

Welcome.

And congrats on your new J-200.

Give it until your next string change. After the string change, or if you've already changed strings - if it still has the dead spots, then take it to your luthier/shop for a proper setup that includes a fret level check.

Congratulation on the new 200! What the other guys here say is true. You should also consider that the store might not have had proper humidity levels. This time of year, a lot of the country has high humidity. Check it with a hydrometer. Keep her somewhere safe and see what happens. Is there a return period?

Lol. I was typing on my phone. I had a typo and it tried to show how smart it was! I didn't even notice. Stupid modern technology and stupid me! Lol

Not too embarrassing, as far as autocorrects go. I've certainly had worse!

-- Bob R

Swing in is what we often refer to as break in or open up.

It basically means the guitar have to find it self - different components/wood-types needing to vibe together and so forth.

It can take time, but is a thrilling process to follow.

If you like the 200 now, be glad. Because you haven't heard it yet.

Why not throw in a couple of pics – they would be as welcome as yourself. . .

Give it time and lots of playing, and chances are that any wrinkles such as dead spots etc. will shake themselves out.

Slope shouldered guitars are prone, in my experience, to a slightly shy G note on the bottom E (I've experienced it to varying degrees on my AJ, both Mahogany J45s I've owned and my former bandmate's Rosewood J45, worst on my otherwise stunning '94 Early J45, best on my AJ), but I never had a dead spot on my SJ200.

I would try different strings, and just play and play it. Guitars need time to wake up or "swing in", and it still thinks it's a tree at the moment!

As noted, if you like the tone now, it'll sound like angels playing pinball with the stars in a couple of years' time.

I would change strings and make sure the saddle is seated in the slot.

Every time I get a new guitar I fit a new saddle to it and store away the original.

I have a J200 I got about 4 months ago and all the strings sound good and loud.

I have noticed some movement with the strings getting just a little higher but I usually wait a few years for a new guitar to settle down.

I'm not sure if the belly is rising or the neck is pulling up. Either way it's very minimal and I love it so far.

I hold great love and almost awe for the J-200. Was utterly attracted too the model as a youngster, but ran into many a dull ex. up up through the years back then. Guitars that simply didn't fill out their size sound wise, if you know what I mean. Not always the case though. A 1968 taken from a wall in London was amazing, , , so was one played this spring. I'm not past these at all – they will re-arrive in my world at some point.

Congrats on yours – does it have the Grover tuners. And have you considered giving the saddle a 12 hour tea-bath to bring the hue a tooth closer to those Colosi's. . .

Hi and thanks for your replies! I changed the original strings. definitely no dead-spots! Now i use the elixir strings. the shop manager also told me that it needs time til the sound totally "unfolds". so i should play the guitar a lot and should wait... i love the guitar.

I hold great love and almost awe for the J-200. Was utterly attracted too the model as a youngster, but ran into many a dull ex. up up through the years back then. Guitars that simply didn't fill out their size sound wise, if you know what I mean. Not always the case though. A 1968 taken from a wall in London was amazing, , , so was one played this spring. I'm not past these at all – they will re-arrive in my world at some point.

Congrats on yours – does it have the Grover tuners. And have you considered giving the saddle a 12 hour tea-bath to bring the hue a tooth closer to those Colosi's. . .

Does the tea bath work? Never heard of that?

Archived