Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Del Nilppeznaf

Hummingbird PG..Rant? no 229

If I ever buy another guitar I'd like it to be a hummingbird. Can you buy a HB with the TV appointments but with the protected design pickguard?

Wouldn't do that before comparing the 2. The engraved is something extra.

To me anyway - maybe you already made up your mind.

I am pretty sure that is a custom order that they would do.

Does that not push the $$$ up? It'll be a long time before I do anyway - so that might be an option.

Sticking a standard / MC style guard on a TV would signal a guitar that had been tampered with should you ever come to sell, time & time again we see people freaking out here and speculating on stuff when something is not 'factory' and you would effectively be putting a cheaper part on a more expensive model. Might be better to get the TV and TV style guard, shoot it with something to protect it. adding an extra coat down the line as required.

Del,

If you need some personal attention on this you know how to get a hold of me. Let me know

JM

Thanks Jeremy, I think we all really appreciate your time and help here.

Nice chair and wallpaper combo, Del. Paint all still there on my SJ-200TV guard, I'd imagine a similar depth of design was used.

Haha... not my choice PM.... live in furnished rented cottage.

The SJ PG is another thing all together. The design is a lot more 'compact' and as I have pointed out.. the small compact areas of the inlayed design on the HB TV will not wear out.

. Still as evidence of history and individuality - a very personal statement it is.

I'm not foreign to the thought. Been interested in the Firebird Custom for a long time, but find the guard far too flamey and more than once considered doin' exactly what you have done. Simply extinguish the fire. In fact I've already done a bit of that with the Dove here. Those straight red and green roses were too clear as I saw them and got dimmed down.

A beauty she is - MySJ682.jpg

Said before : Why not return to the German panzer-paint and provide some stronger masks in the move. . .

I do like to be individual Em7.. interesting as all ways B)

Sticking a standard / MC style guard on a TV would signal a guitar that had been tampered with should you ever come to sell, time & time again we see people freaking out here and speculating on stuff when something is not 'factory' and you would effectively be putting a cheaper part on a more expensive model. Might be better to get the TV and TV style guard, shoot it with something to protect it. adding an extra coat down the line as required.

Good point and advice PM... tho I hope I never have to sell...you never know

stop prancing about in front of the mirror and you wont see the pickguard !

:D :D

Ha

shut it BBG :P

All in all I'm still very happy with my guitar... I even kind of like it as it is...I wish I could get some pics that show it truly.. from a distance you can hardly see the engraving..sometime when the light hits it it really shines out.. it looks really interesting and makes you want to get closer to see it better. I also like the subdued effect.

I still think Gibson could try and get the engraving deeper into the guard ( I,m talking a fraction of a millimeter )... I really believe this would solve the issue.. whether that is possible though is another matter.

DelNilp, you asked yesterday about the wear amounts on other H'Bird TVs. Mine is approx. a year and a half old and I'd guess the paint is at 90+% . Most of the wear I where I occasionally rest my 4th finger. I play it approx 6 hours a week and Rarely scratch the guard with a flat pick.

Paint all still there on my SJ-200TV guard, I'd imagine a similar depth of design was used.

As I read through this thread, one of my first thoughts was that if the original molds for the Hummingbird pickguards were salvaged and put back into service (very cool story by the way) that there surely would be a measurable amont of wear on the molds themselves as compared to when they were first put into service. I have no idea if tolerances for something like this have been established, but anything mechanical in nature like this is going to exhibit a certain amount of wear over time.

Given Del's observations about the depth of the grooves (and the corresponding wear of the ridges on the molds used) of the pickguard in question, it is plausible that the rate of wear on the design could vary quite a bit depending on the playing style of the individual guitarist.

An interesting side question would be this: What is the age/condition of the molds used to create the SJ200 TV pickguards and have people experienced varying rates of pickguard design wear on those models as well?

As is often the case with me, I certainly don't see a thread such as this one as bashing Gibson, but rather totally geeking out on details involving Gibson guitars.

DelNilp, you asked yesterday about the wear amounts on other H'Bird TVs. Mine is approx. a year and a half old and I'd guess the paint is at 90+% . Most of the wear I where I occasionally rest my 4th finger. I play it approx 6 hours a week and Rarely scratch the guard with a flat pick.

Thanks for input FYP,

my Bird gets played 2 to 3 hours every day. While I am not particularly aggressive player I do use the PG as a rhythm tool and my pinky and ring finger will brush / tap the guard a lot. This is an obvious factor in why my design wore away so quickly.

But...

As has already been covered many times, the new paint just doesn't wear as well as the old. and I have come to believe this should really be addressed by Gibson. If I knew this was going to be the case I would have taken measures as MissouriPicker did, and put some lacquer or some type of protection on the guard.

As I read through this thread, one of my first thoughts was that if the original molds for the Hummingbird pickguards were salvaged and put back into service (very cool story by the way) that there surely would be a measurable amont of wear on the molds themselves as compared to when they were first put into service. I have no idea if tolerances for something like this have been established, but anything mechanical in nature like this is going to exhibit a certain amount of wear over time.

Given Del's observations about the depth of the grooves (and the corresponding wear of the ridges on the molds used) of the pickguard in question, it is plausible that the rate of wear on the design could vary quite a bit depending on the playing style of the individual guitarist.

Thanks for addressing the main reason for this post Guth.

All the main factors have already been covered here a number of times before, and I was trying to offer a new insight and maybe a solution.

Again I truly believe if the design was made to be just a fraction deeper... this would solve some of the problem straight away. And I beleive a different paint should be used.

Just my own ideas, thats all. Glad you find it interesting too Guth.

Bob R. didn't say so specifically in his post on a previous Hummingbird PG thread, but I suspect/guess that the reason for banning the special German-manufactured, fade-and-scratch resistant Panzer paint was that it contained lead, arsenic, depleted uranium/radium (kidding!) or various other heavy metal nasties.

At first, I thought it was the combo of lead paint and the fact that the old 'Bird guards were made of celluloid (solid nitrocellulose, camphor and alcohol) which would allow paint with some solvent qualities to bite into the grooves and adhere better, but Bob's comment makes me think that the real secret all along was the paint, and we ain't gonna get it back.

Very timely thread for me as I received a SJ-200 TV 3 weeks ago fresh from the factory. The guitar was made the end of September. The paint lines in several areas of the pickgaurd have been flaking off for the past week. Love the guitar, but obviously a quality control issue of Gibson. I do not relish the thought of having the original pried off to replace, but am also concerned about the value of the guitar. Is Gibson's only warranty remedy to replace the pickgaurs rather than repainting and sealing as a fix?

Del by no means did not take any of this as being too aggresive. This is a place where everyone is free to share their experience about guitars. When I see a topic where I feel I can be of some help I will get involved. Beyond giving the info i have I cannot do much more. For me to get into the discussion phase of a thread takes up alot of time that I need to focus towards tasks here at the factory. I am always here to help. I think that me saying that i cannot offer anything else to this thread was misinterpretted.

Del,

If you need some personal attention on this you know how to get a hold of me. Let me know

JM

Very timely thread for me as I received a SJ-200 TV 3 weeks ago fresh from the factory. The guitar was made the end of September. The paint lines in several areas of the pickgaurd have been flaking off for the past week. Love the guitar, but obviously a quality control issue of Gibson. I do not relish the thought of having the original pried off to replace, but am also concerned about the value of the guitar. Is Gibson's only warranty remedy to replace the pickgaurs rather than repainting and sealing as a fix?

I posted way back when this topic was first alive that my SJ-200TV was still fairly pristine.. naturally a fair few playing hours have racked up since then, here it is today, it's less than 1 year old.

F4D10648-2CCF-49B7-AC82-64A4C5CB4C0F-2490-000001AD290C58EF.jpg

I posted way back when this topic was first alive that my SJ-200TV was still fairly pristine.. naturally a fair few playing hours have racked up since then, here it is today, it's less than 1 year old.

F4D10648-2CCF-49B7-AC82-64A4C5CB4C0F-2490-000001AD290C58EF.jpg

mine looks similar to p-mans SJ 200 TV guard =D

faded a little bit but not too much ... love it

JC

I find this odd dice this has come to life again. I've never had one pick of paint fall off my j200 tv nor hummingbird. But when I strum I don't hit the pickguard either so maybe that's ehy

From what I can see the engraving on the guard is very slight. Any one else?

Del says the deeper groves are holding the paint much better than others..it appears to him the engraving is not deep enough..combined with the modern less rugged paint ,this could be the reason.

Lower quality modern paint (thanks EPA) combined with either possibly worn tooling or..the material pickguards are cast from these days is not exactly same formulation as 50 years ago and is less sensitive to mold..?

If Gibson had a museum,as do Martin,an original could be pulled and compared.

Maybe Martin has a Hummingbird they could loan Henry for a week or two : ) ?