Gibson Brands Forums

Custom vs True Vintage

solving

Im still in the hunt for my first Gibson and I have like a billion questions.....

I've started to narrowing down my hunt to: SJ-200 TV, Hummingbird TV or maybe a Doves In Flight.

80% strumming... Tom Petty-stuff....20% picking

For instance:

1: How much would you say you have to pay for the "bling" of a Doves In Flight... 10%....20%?

2: Is a True Vintage considered to be a finer guitar than a Custom ,sonically, or vice versa (not the KOA)?

3: When was the first SJ-200 TV produced? Were they called SJ-200 "Historic" prior to the TV-series? Before that....?

2: Is a True Vintage considered to be a finer guitar than a Custom ,sonically, or vice versa (not the KOA)?

I'm only going to focus on question #2 because I can not accurately answer the others. Are you aware that the J-200 Custom has Rosewood back and sides vs the True Vintage having Maple back and sides? I think that this information could really answer that question for you from a sonic standpoint. I went with maple back and sides on my j-200 because I wanted a bright sound and really sharp attack that cuts really well through the mix. Although I have not played a rosewood j-200, I own a Guild rosewood jumbo, and for me that body shape and wood combination are too dark and boomy 99% of the time.

Just my .02. Good luck with your search

First I have had quite a few sj200s and just posted 2 for sale unfortunately. The rosewood is not my favorite but is nice it doesn't have that sparkle maple does. I just listed a true vintage and a Montana gold out of those two I prefer the gold for me the adi top is too bright but adds sustain. The Sitka top has a deeper bottom end and great highs. I hope this helps

Jamie

Kinda' seems obvious to me. If you want to play Tom Petty stuff buy the guitar he uses.. Oh... That would be the Tom Petty J-200. Great guitar and they are to be found used or your authorized Gibson dealer can just call Gibson/Montana and they will make one for you. Good luck and keep in touch with your quest. There might even be someone here that wants to sell one.

Archived