Gibson Brands Forums

NGD within 25 hours

E-minor7

So youre saying you like the new guitar Em7 .... ? [rolleyes]

Sounds great though, would love to hear it, can you record something and put some fiery pics up .. ??

Enjoy !

Thanx -

Will try both.

Pics should be possible, , , must await recording facility. . .

The Aesthetics -

Though silver-cloudy yesterday, I managed to take a few pics.

Obviously a F-bird as we know them. This ex. is from 2010, but have hardly been played. Factory strings are still on and the previous owner has treated it with down right awe – which means more like an object of beauty than an instrument.

The headstock – No doubt it's a wonderful piece of work. Though the bird rising from the fire – isn't that the Phoenix theme – is a bit pretentious, it's okay with me. The chrome tulips are sublime and calls for respect, the white bindings signalizes royalty.

The fretboard – These green flames certainly put a signature on the guitar. Being green they can be seen a lotus flowers also and maybe exactly that duality makes it possible to cope.

After all they are very well crafted (and green is my fav. colour).

The top – As some of you might know, this is basically too pale for me. I try to see it as vanilla-ice with a touch of banana and have to bring on a good deal of patience before time 'burns' it to a warmer shade of fine liiight brown. Will start within a year from now if the guitar is kept out of the case, so that's how we'll go. Well, it'll be out anyway as I imagine a lot of playing is bound to happen during the next many months ahead.

The guard – Uuuuuhh, the guard. Again a component has caught fire and this time it's serious.

Do one have to keep a glass of water near by if things get too hot and the top lights up. I don't know. The original stripe-colours over the tortoise shield are magenta and yellow. For some reason the magenta is rather weak, almost as if somebody tried to remove it (see the white traces). Can't believe that's the case, as the former owner plain adored the thing from top to toe. Now after the photos, I have removed those white lines with a mix of kitchen-alcohol and vodka and even took a go towards the yellow. The yellows I just want to dim down, but funnily enough, they are much more resistant than the magentas – I work with needle, knife and nail - are we suddenly facing German panzer-paint here. . .

No matter what, I'll try to get them both 'vagued' and thus land in the trail behind Del Nilp and his radical H-bird cleansing. Might post a shot later.

The bridge – Small fireballs or glows there as well, , , , guess I put them out by not noticing – again the work is immaculate. No big deal, , , even charming.

The back'n'sides – In reality I would have preferred them less red. Like the rather white bindings, they will change as the lacquer yellows, , , but that's many years from now, so better get used to it as it is, , , after all it's quite normal. The quilt-pattern is beautiful and a new thing for me – it's seen in its raw wooden texture when looking inside the box also. Btw. the mahogany neck decoration is trying to emulate the body-maple lines – again okay with me.

The little mustard coloured decal on the back-neck/headstock - I'll repeat : Gibson, leave that spot alone. It's a private zone for a guitar and shouldn't be fixed or sat on duty. That area is sacred and needs peace. I have some decals myself. Might find and put them in water, then place a small alternative quiet motive over the authorized custom sign.

Yeah, , , that's an idea. Will post pics of that also if it happens.

That's more or less it Ladies and Gents – The Firebird Custom.

Such a grand instrument now and will be out of this sphere in ten years time – looks as sound wise.

How I hope I'm still able to play the queen by then, , , and wonder how she will be perceived by the future.

. . . . .

TheFirebirdfirst-Sep2012.jpgTheF-birdfirst-Sep20122.jpg

TheF-birdfirst-Sep20123.jpgTheF-birdfirst-Sep20124.jpg

TheF-birdfirst-Sep-20125.jpg

The standard for beauty is always shifting, the popularity of embellishments and cosmetics wax and wane, and of course the perception of these is a personal matter. I really like this guitar - especially the name/theme and the inlay choices. You've got a real beauty there Em7.

Congrats. . B)

Thanx guys – that's what I'm trying to tell myself. . .

PhoenixFabelwesen-.jpg

The Phoenix Bird rising from the flames is a universal symbol of rebirth. The word phoenix has to do with the magenta colour, which was sold in prehistoric times where this extremely rare bird had its territory in Persia.

Allright then Bozeman – you are 1 up.

It is now impossible to forsake or denounce the redish neck'n'body. . .

That is one helluva good looking guitar, I'll bet it sounds great and will bring you years of smiles. Re the pickguard, I don't have an engraved one on any guitars, but I can't escape the thought that perhaps one should just "leave it like it is" (David Wilcox). It is part of the original artistry and creation, and will take on its own nuances, as it should, over time. I dunno.

Fine looking guitar, sir! Same model I was very tempted to buy in a southpaw version last year.....big open tone, quite similar to a Martin, as you mention. But you also mention that the inlays are "okay" and you can "cope" with them.....the top is "too pale" and the guard needs some paint removal to be tolerable....you wish the back & sides were "less red"......the custom shop decal should not be there and will be covered.......

What was it you liked about the guitar?!?

What was it you liked about the guitar?!?

As you might well recall, I have been flirting with this guitar and writing about it ever since I started my G-trip and hence arrived here. If not, the attraction is all more or less summed up in post # 25.

Looks come second. I'm not a bling-guy, but respect people who are – btw. this is not a disaster.

A local real acoustic guitarist I know f.x., is wild about mop. I find differences in taste intriguing, but tend to believe a good guitar is on fire, shining (or whatever) without the design helping it along.

I really think that much of the acoustic guitar in its pure form.

Not too crazy about women with layers of jewelry either hehe. . .

Archived