Gibson Brands Forums

Date an old L4?

Sunshy

It's probably a 1949. The characteristics actually look more like an L-48 than an L-4 to me, but if it is stamped L-4, it's an L-4. Acoustic archtops like this one are not very popular right now, and rarely fetch much. If I were insuring it, I would insure it for about $1000, but at ebay auction, if it sells, the price is more likely to be around $500-$750.

The bridge looks like it is set up wrong to me, and I would venture to guess that the intonation is off. If you have someone local who is good at set-ups, you might consider investing the $75 or so if you want to play it.

Thank you for the response. While the serial # is very clear, the L-4 is very faint. I'll look again to see if it's an L-48. What are the differences? Yes, the intonation is off a bit, but since the bridge isn't attaches, probably an easy fix :)

Thank you! I love this guitar, but you know how it is...sometimes you collect too many (I live in a small space) and the little woman is having me make some space! :) I hope to get it to someone that play and appreciate her.

first off, welcome to the forum

with a little bit of setup, those guitars like yours can sound good a be really fun to play

• 4 months later...

These old Loar style archtops are great value. Materials available then were of a higher quality than what would go into a thousand dollar Jazz guitar now. These were designed to have a rhythm impact without a lot of amplification so play it harder than you would a regular flat top. You could drop a small mic into the lower f-hole if you want and amp it up a little. If you keep feedback under control I find old archtops make a favorable impression when you bring one out in a performance. They have an interesting thump. Yeah it's an L-48 but you can play it and not sweat it. Fun?

My two cents ..

Archived