Gibson Brands Forums

New Acoustic Suggestion for Epiphone....

telepbrman

I find the PR5e an ideal size that works more or less as a parlor guitar or, plugged in, a great fingerpicker. I wouldn't mind the wider nut on it, but the current standard nut does allow some degree of technical variation that can be useful.

Even the "cheapie" PR4e is not a bad little guitar as a parlor guitar and it does sound pretty decent amplified. $200 for a decently-made little parlor box and practice amp? It's not a great guitar either way, but I'd say it almost qualifies as a true "steal."

m

I find the PR5e an ideal size that works more or less as a parlor guitar or, plugged in, a great fingerpicker. I wouldn't mind the wider nut on it, but the current standard nut does allow some degree of technical variation that can be useful.

Even the "cheapie" PR4e is not a bad little guitar as a parlor guitar and it does sound pretty decent amplified. $200 for a decently-made little parlor box and practice amp? It's not a great guitar either way, but I'd say it almost qualifies as a true "steal."

m

Just FYI--that little amp can do more than just help you practice! Very useful in a small venue, even with a 3-piece combo, I can tell you. My mandolin player prefers going through it than his (wait for this!) Marshall (albeit also a 15-watt SS model!). If I were solo in a coffeehouse, say, I'd have NO qualms about running both guitar and voice through it!

I can believe it...

All kidding aside, I think in the US that sometimes the Epi "low end" guitars don't get nearly the respect they deserve. I used the PR4e - before I gave it to a young friend who was moving away - on a couple of "little" benefit gigs with a batch of elementary school kids. Worked fine for me.

I got a super low price from MF 'cuz the amp didn't work and somebody sent it back. I hope that whoever did that also asked for another set guitar and amp, 'cuz as I said, it's almost a steal for nearly any AE needs 'stedda just a kid's first guitar.

Sounds "boxy" acoustic, but so do most little guitars; sounds fine amplified and if the rug rats broke with their on stage antics, replaceable. Any idiot who figures to put heavy strings and flatpick it hard for bluegrass shows he/she doesn't understand the right tool for the right work. Even a Gibbie or Martin small-size guitar can't work for that...

m

Archived