Gibson Brands Forums

The guitar that got away

daveinspain

I'm still kicking myself for letting a beautiful, in brand new condition, Alhambra Acoustic get away from me... Saw it in a pawn shop type place called Cash Converters. There it was hanging on the wall. These are very good guitars so when I asked to play it I wasn't surprised that if felt, played and sounded incredible! I think they were asking 600 or 550 euros. It was worth 1500... I tried to get them down to 450. They said no so I left. I saw the guitar there like a week later the price had dropped to 500. I offered 450 again. They said no. I walked away. Next week I said to my self I gonna go get it at what ever price it was listed for. It just felt so good and played like butter. Went to the store with cash in hand. As soon as I walked in I saw that it wasn't on the wall anymore, my heart sunk... When I asked about it, sure enough someone snapped it up. I kicked myself in the butt all the way home... Idiot!!!!

I feel your pain Dave,I had 2 similar experiences.First I never jumped on the chance to buy a near mint '64 Firebird VII for $400 and about 6 months later I could have gotten a '61 SG bodied Les Paul Custom with 3 gold pups and gold hardware that had been restored to new condition in the Gibson Kalamazoo plant for only $400 also or I could've gotten it as a package deal with a factory custom '69 Marshall 1959 Plexi stack with White Elephant Hide vinyl with Royal Blue grille cloth for only $1,200.I still kick myself daily for letting them slip away from me.BTW this was in the mid to late 70s.

Believe it or not, the guitar miss that bugs me is not some great vintage piece. Instead it's this blue sparkle LP Deluxe that was in my local music store for $200 in the early 80s (when Fenders were afire and Gibsons were old-school). It looked just like this...

p2_upuabbelf_so.jpg

I started playing guitar again in 2005, Gretsch had a Nashville Junior model in production, which is a small bodied hollowbody,

They discontinued those guitars that year and as soon as they did they started climbing in price, now they are pricey and hard to find.

I hate it when that happens, mine was a Sears & Roebuck guitar (used) I mowed yards to get the $$ .When I got there to pick it up on a Sat. it was gone.It was the kind the amp was in the case with the guitar,seems it was like $30.00.

My parents bought me one just like it for Christmas,Best Christmas I ever had !

A few years ago, there was a black LP Classic w. gold hardware at a local pawn shop. It was sitting in a glass enclosure with it's original hardshell case, and everytime I walked into that pawn shop, I would stare at it and drool like it was a Penthouse magazine. Within months, the pawn shop went out of business and the whereabouts of that guitar are unknown.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying it. I'm on a quest for a good used LP Classic. When Gibson discontinued those, it was beyond me.

I know how that feels.

back in the 90's when I was a teenager, I had made multiple attempts to buy an SG. Every time a used one showed up in the local pawn shops or the music stores I tried to save up cash to buy them only to have them sell literally days before I came up with the cash. Also one time I had a chance at a 1982 Les Paul Custom in white that literally got sold right out from under me on the day I was going in to buy it. If I'd just woke up 2 hours earlier and headed over to the music store as soon as they opened, I would have gotten that LP and would probably still have it today. :(

Sooooooooooooooooooo many!!!! Although I'm after Gibson ES 137, or a Gretsch Country Gentleman double cut at the mo'!

A few weeks ago my son and I took a road trip to the big city just to 'window shop' guitars. He saw an ES-137, played it....did not want to have that 'one that got away feelin'" This guitar out blues, out jazzes, and out rocks our Studio, Standard and SG Stnd...and those are just the Gibsons we own. Would kill for a lefty.

A few weeks ago my son and I took a road trip to the big city just to 'window shop' guitars. He saw an ES-137, played it....did not want to have that 'one that got away feelin'" This guitar out blues, out jazzes, and out rocks our Studio, Standard and SG Stnd...and those are just the Gibsons we own. Would kill for a lefty.

The ES 137 is an amazing guitar imo. I played one about 6 months back in my local music store. I've ordered one in blue - but I'm still awaiting delivery. Full report when I get it defo!

Archived