Gibson Brands Forums

Signature Guitars

Hairy Dave

But it is... much like Gretsch and the Chet Atkins line.

If you feel that is the case, then I have to ask how involved was Chet in the development and design of the guitar? I'm not at all familiar with the guitars, so I honestly have no idea. What was unique about it that Chet brought to the mix?

By 1956, we're talking non-scalloped top braces, wider and lower back braces, etc. These are the guitars that were built to the specs shown in the Collins J-45 plans available from stewmac and others. It would be interesting to compare the tone of a new one built to these mid-50's specs to a new J-45/50 built on the earlier top and back bracing patterns. I suspect they would be fairly similar, based on my own experience.

Of course, any guitar Jorma plays is going to sound pretty good. That guy is one of the greatest fingerpickers, ever.

I am a big fan of the sound of the post-1954 Gibsons (although I could live without the bigger pointy pickguard). To my ear they give up a bit on the lower end but tend to overall sound a bit punchier. No difference in volume that I have heard. And I could not agree more on Jorma - the guy is a flippin' amazing guitar player.

Zombywoof, I have always appreciated your posts. You are notthe only one who has mentioned they like the sound of the post "54", fiftiesj45s. I believe the other poster, from a long time ago, gave a similar analogy ofthe sound difference. I was wonder where you would put the modern standard j45in that mix? Is it in-between, leaning one way or another, or is it simply a different animal, but still a j45.

chasAK

Does Gibson have many signature models in they're acoustic line..?

I really like the fret inlays on ebony fb of Tony iommi's signature guitar.

For myself it would be 50's style Les Paul Junior with an ebony fingerboard and old growth Honduras Mah.

I once went as far as to design a 00 "Madonna" signature model that I was considering ordering (amoungst other possibilities) for myself from Martins Custom Shop..but they didnt take me seriously : )

They lost a sale.

I guess I was better off with the Lowden.

Not that wild about signatures, but maybe a guardless J. Taylor J-50 could be something.

I wouldn't recommend a Keef Bird – just don't believe it would come out right, , , and the myth would half evaporate overnite.

Then rather a Mick J. New Vintage blonde Bird, , , eeehhh which we don't really know what sounds like, , , or a T. Petty Dove.

Sorry Hairy D, forgive me – I have to draw it all back. . .

Does Gibson have many signature models in they're acoustic line..?

Hi Merseybeat, from what I can see on the Gibson site they have at least 18:

Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo

Keb Mo Bluesmaster

Sheryl Crow Country Western

Jackson Browne

Robert Johnson L1

Emmylou Harris L-200

John Lennon L-160E

Woody Guthrie Southern Jumbo

Brad Paisley J-45

Randy Scruggs Advanced Jumbo

John Hiatt J-45

The Kristofferson Southern Jumbo

Aaron Lewis Southern Jumbo

Pete Townshend SJ-200

Arlo Guthrie LG 2 3/4

Elvis Costello Limited Century of Progress

Billie Joe Armstrong J-180

Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce

+1. Signature Guitar means to me that it is a guitar I will never buy. But it is ok if others like this thing.

Not everyone buys due to a signature though. I have a Keb Mo Bluesmaster model, I bought this guitar because it had the wider neck and was 12 fretter that appealed to me. I had no idea who/what Keb Mo was, I presumed it was some old dead geezer from way back when or maybe even a place in the Delta or something. I then found out it was a modern artist and to be honest I haven't bought any Keb Mo music nor anything Keb Mo related since. to de-sig the guitar all I'd have to do is replace the TR cover and ignore the sig on the label.

That's what has put me off the Robert Johnson model, they went a step further and inlayed his name on the FB, a step too far for me, had it been the same idea and I could have de-Robert Johnson'd the guitar I'd have one already.

Hi Merseybeat, from what I can see on the Gibson site they have at least 18:

Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo

Keb Mo Bluesmaster

Sheryl Crow Country Western

Jackson Browne

Robert Johnson L1

Emmylou Harris L-200

John Lennon L-160E

Woody Guthrie Southern Jumbo

Brad Paisley J-45

Randy Scruggs Advanced Jumbo

John Hiatt J-45

The Kristofferson Southern Jumbo

Aaron Lewis Southern Jumbo

Pete Townshend SJ-200

Arlo Guthrie LG 2 3/4

Elvis Costello Limited Century of Progress

Billie Joe Armstrong J-180

Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce

I must be retarted the only one i could think of is the Jackson Browne..

Being a fan of singer/songwriters who play a Gibson, my vote would go out for a Lucinda Williams J-45 with the same specs as her own guitar but some inlay or headstock pattern that distinguished it as being inspired by her. Maybe some lips at the 12th fret.

I'd like to see a Johnny Cash J200. He had two of them (a gold burst and a red burst) and one got stolen. I've read that the stolen one (with a red sunburst) was the one he used on the original recording of "I Walk the Line." It's the guitar that people used to mistake for a snare drum on the recording, but Cash didn't have a drummer then and he was muting the strings to get the effect of a snare drum. You don't get a good view of the guitar until the end when he stops singing, but this does look more reddish than golden. Well, to be honest, maybe it is more golden ...lol...

I'd also like to see a run of Dylan's J50.

haha that's what I was gonna suggest!

Great minds think alike!

Archived