Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop Cables

deepblue

+1 on Monster cables. Its funny and actually kinda sad there are those among us who will spend hundreds even thousands on a guitar' date=' spend months possible years on getting the right amp; speak with their peers on the best possible effects and how to use them and then they use cheap *** cables between the guitar and the amp. Lets not forget using another guitar cable to connect the amp and the speaker cabinet............ so sad. [/quote']

I think there's a line between cheap *** cables and overpriced snake oil. To my ear, George L's cables sound the best because they retain high frequencies better than anything else I've tried. But, they don't hold up for crap, especially the patch cables which I am constantly repairing. So, I've switched to Whirlwind; not as good high frequency retention, but they hold up very well.

Bonus: For those of you into the whole vintage vibe with those reissue LPs, what sort of cables do you think they were using back in 1959? I guarantee you they were not super gold-plated, cryogenic, hubajuba, major mojo cables; they were extra long, coiled, and real crap by today's standards. But, crap or not, keep that in mind if you're chasing the vintage dragon you'll want to use a period correct cable as well after you spent a bundle on that reissue guitar.

I've never even unwrapped the cables to me there like the polish cloths just part of the case candy I keep them in the bag

My thoughts exactly... just leave it in the bag with the polishing cloth and your guitar will be worth more money if you ever sell it.... You save your hang tags too right??? =P~

Have any of you tried the Eminence cables?

I got one included in my David Gilmour signature and it's the best sounding cable every - beats Monster into a cocked hat!

By the way the strange situation of spending thousands on a guitar and a few bob on a cable is also true of Hi Fi and home theatre.

People will spend HUGE amounts of money on the best equipment but wire the speakers up with bell wire and use Radio Shack interconnects ! ! !

Madness in my opinion.

As a rule you should spend about 10% of the value of your equipment on connections.

Now if that were true of guitars..................

SRV used the cheapest radio shack crap he could find.

He had no use for high end cables.

Apparently, he said they "pass too much electricity." What I think that translates to is that the cables retained too much high end for his tastes and, when you're playing a Strat with an overdriven amp, cutting back on treble can be a good thing.

Blind test after blind show no difference between radio shack and high priced cables.

I like the Monster for the free replacement policy' date=' goes bad I bring it back no questions asked, new cable.

[/quote']

please share.... which blind tests? i can hear the difference. there are some that are overpriced, and don't make enough of a change.... but i can definitley hear the difference between the cheapest cables and a quality cable.

• 3 years later...

I've never even unwrapped the cables to me there like the polish cloths just part of the case candy I keep them in the bag

if you have a red, or a blue one i'd be interested in buying them. can get them online but someone stole my red one and blue one during rehearsal.

Archived