Gibson Brands Forums

jackson browne owners

ditdr

I wanna buy another guitar. Inevitable I'm looking at the Jackson browne I found a wonderful deal that's affordablefor me and if like HONEST input as to if your jb is your absolute favorite. Currently have an aj short scale custom I'm in love with. My j45 TV is for sale cause I fell in love with the wide neck. 4000 is serious money so I want dead honesty thanks

The JB is a very nice instrument, and it has its place in my little herd... but... its a fairly unforgiving little beast. Neck width, shape and width of fretboard is fine for me, and I have small hands. The tone, with a good set of 80/20s Mediums is pretty spectacular - I enjoy it most for songs that have a bit of string seperation / definition - still trying to decide how to strum on this - and prefer my J-45 for general use, and playing with others. I have not yet ventured out of the house with it, for fear that first "ding" will crush my heart. If you want my honest 2 cents, I wish the signature Sheryl Crow model with its wider neck had been out, I think I would have been tempted that direction, hell, still am. But, then I'd be lusting after a 12 fretter. I cannot recommend you buy one if you have never played it. I played three chords, felt that rumble in my chest, and had to bring it home. It is demanding a different more disciplined style, though, and is playing a role in moving me off the players plateau I've been on.

Here's a late night sample vid I made for a friend of mine in Fargo - you can get an idea of how this monster does in the hands of a hack - especially the strumming. To be fair, I have no idea how to set the audio on the little Zoom camera, this vid really accents the fingernail clicking - see what I mean about it demanding a bit of style change - especially compared to the Martins, and my J-45. Its a different beast.

This may not help much, but I have gotten more positive comments about the acoustic sound of my Jackson Browne (non-pickup version- Walnut sides and back) from other musicians than any Gibson guitar I've ever owned.(And that's after owning a lot of the best Gibson guitars in over five decades of performance and teaching....) Once you get adjusted to the twelve fret format and the slightly deeper body, this guitar really delivers, and provided the neck profile works for you, the Jackson Browne is a dream to play. Different from any other Gibson model in feel and tonality. Unique and extremely cool.

Good luck,

Jack6849

So... they do exist... tempting, very tempting. Anybody know a good divorce lawyer? $$$ just not in the cards right now. Nuts. I really think a short-scale SJ with that wider neck would be an absolute hoot. If I'd have known this, and been able to A/B the JB and this SJ, I may have swung to the SJ. I was on the hunt for an SJ or a Bird when I tripped into my JB instead. Oh well, the lust goes on I guess. I wonder if I could craft a trade deal with my CSN Martin... oh gawd, now I'm gonna be obsessed with this all weekend, thanks Nick. :unsure:

So... they do exist... tempting, very tempting. Anybody know a good divorce lawyer? $$$ just not in the cards right now. Nuts. I really think a short-scale SJ with that wider neck would be an absolute hoot. If I'd have known this, and been able to A/B the JB and this SJ, I may have swung to the SJ. I was on the hunt for an SJ or a Bird when I tripped into my JB instead. Oh well, the lust goes on I guess. I wonder if I could craft a trade deal with my CSN Martin... oh gawd, now I'm gonna be obsessed with this all weekend, thanks Nick. :unsure:

I actually bought this one on ebay, for about what the typical late-model J-45 Standard goes for used. Ironically, I wasn't really looking for a nut wider than 1.75", which I had gotten used to on my L-OO Legend and my 000-28 EC. This is the Luthier's choice neck, which also has a flatter, more modern cross-sectional shape compared to the deep-V of many Gibson repro's.

It's a 2007 model with a couple of tiny cosmetic flaws that I may or may not have touched up.

Fuller's makes runs of these periodically, but I don't know what the new price would be.

The new price is $3 grand. I am talking to them now about what it would take to duplicate this model, but with the pearl logo and crown on the headstock, and a tortise shell pickguard - everything else about this guitar seems perfect - except the banner and the tiger stripe. Oh and maybe waverlies... Oh man am I getting in too deep? Played the JB last night at a local listening room - not a bar - just a small room booked for small acoustic acts. The band cancelled, so I played 45 minutes of original stuff, just me and the proprietor. I have to say, that in that quiet venue where you could actually hear, and they had an incredible PA system, that guitar was magnificent. Light years better than playing through my Fishman Solo or the Fender acoustisonic - wow. I get why a touring pro might use this Trance Amulet. The key with my playing on the JB seems to be in letting the guitar do the work, simplify, and let 'er sing. I still want to investigate this SJ angle with Fullers though.

The new price is $3 grand. I am talking to them now about what it would take to duplicate this model, but with the pearl logo and crown on the headstock, and a tortise shell pickguard - everything else about this guitar seems perfect - except the banner and the tiger stripe. Oh and maybe waverlies... Oh man am I getting in too deep? Played the JB last night at a local listening room - not a bar - just a small room booked for small acoustic acts. The band cancelled, so I played 45 minutes of original stuff, just me and the proprietor. I have to say, that in that quiet venue where you could actually hear, and they had an incredible PA system, that guitar was magnificent. Light years better than playing through my Fishman Solo or the Fender acoustisonic - wow. I get why a touring pro might use this Trance Amulet. The key with my playing on the JB seems to be in letting the guitar do the work, simplify, and let 'er sing. I still want to investigate this SJ angle with Fullers though.

Dan I love tiger pg's ... don't know I guess some people dig em others don't

Dan I love tiger pg's ... don't know I guess some people dig em others don't

The firestripe pickguard was one of the things that appealed to me: except for the way it's positioned, of course. [rolleyes]

This guitar has already become one of my favorites.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (I've posted these comments before), I love my JB so much, here a year later. I have the Trance Audio Amulet system in mine, and there is no question in my mind this is the pinnacle of acoustic amplification. But you say you're looking at a Model One.

I have owned 2 J-200s, a Martin HD28v, a Bourgeois Vintage D, a Collings D1Av and other "notch below" instruments over the past 10 years. Without a doubt, the JB (to me) is the most comfortable and best sounding acoustic I've ever played or even heard. I have heard it in the hands of Jackson Browne through a serious sound system, and when they refer to it as the grand piano of acoustic guitars, you'll understand. I personally love the understated aesthetics. This is not a flashy guitar. Vintage written all over it (except the Trance Audio). You can attack it with a flatpick, but it is equally happy being fingerpicked.

As much as I would like to buy that lefty McPherson that keeps coming around on Ebay, I couldn't bring myself to part with this JB in order to do it. And somehow I don't think I can justify another $6000 guitar.

I bought mine sight unseen, being left handed. Never regretted it for one minute. Just a wonderful guitar.

JJ : "You can attack it with a flatpick, but it is equally happy being fingerpicked. "

What strings are you using ? I have 80/20 mediums on right now, sound fine, but... still not as forgiving as my Martin CSN, which has the wider fretboard and mixed characteristics of the D28/41/42/45. Agree with you on the Trance, its pretty wildly wonderful - sounds exactly like the guitar, only louder. No quack, no tin, no high frequency electronic sound, almost like you're not really plugged in.

What strings are you using ? I have 80/20 mediums on right now, sound fine, but...

I'm pretty fickle when it comes to strings. I try all brands, although I have only used P. Bronze, and I only use lights on this guitar. Gibson ships them w/lights. I might try some 80/20s one of these days. I have had good luck with Thomastiks, Pyramids, even John Pearse. I have Martin Lifespan SPs on right now, and I am not overwhelmed.

Juan...

I have been hesitant to post any audio, because I don't have proper equipment to capture the true essence of the guitar. I still want to do a full-blown YouTube review, but I would need to use someone else's audio gear. I only have a Tascam DP-008 and a Sony SM55 mic, and I just don't think I would do anyone a service by posting audio with those.

See that seems to be the general consensus. I just really shouldn't be spending 5000 on a guitar though i really have it and want too. I want a model 1 due to affordability and my dealer is a trance dealer and can put in a pickup for like 1500. so i figure if i dont like the guitar i can always just resell it. but i came across 1 and offered the guy 3200 for it and he said he'd accept. I was just really wanting to hear the guitar in person my dealer has 2 but they wont go below 4250 out the door and i can save 1000 on that for a new one from my guy.

I had my Trance installed for $185, and I supplied the Trance - $549. 1,500 sounds a bit rich. $3,200 in like new condition? Did you play it yet? Be forewarned, if you play it, you will buy it. I paid $2,700 + a 1996 Martin HD 35 killer dreadnaught with a Highlander P/U that the dealer sold quickly for 1,800. So my all in price was probably in that $4,000 + range, brand new.

When I was looking to buy my JB, I couldn't get Guitar Center to drop more than 10% off the $4500 price tag. Just for the hell of it, I stopped in at Woodwind/Brasswind (same ownership, go figure)and told the young sales guy what I was interested in.Told him if he could get the price low enough I'd buy one. I nearly fell over when he came back with "if you're gonna buy it for sure, I can knock a thousand off the price". I immediately paid for it and it was at my door 2 days later.The store manager at GC (who's a friend of mine) was pretty pissed, saying that was "below cost".Well, the young sales guy didn't get fired or anything so I kinda doubt that. Just thought I'd share this as a point of reference. And it is a great guitar, by the way. I especially like it for fingerstyle. But, I have to admit, if I could only have one guitar this probably wouldn't be it.The tone is unique and I do like it for a lot of things, but most of the time I prefer the sound of a good Advanced Jumbo or even my old J50. Of course, this is all subjective. I'll keep the JB as long as I can afford to.I only keep the good stuff and this is very good.

I bought mine (Model A) from Sweetwater for a great price. Same as I would have paid for it at EM Shorts.

For me it's the LAST guitar I'd ever get rid of. It does EVERYTHING well. I love my J45 but it will go before my JB. It's by far the best guitar I've ever owned.

Archived