Gibson Brands Forums

Guitarist Albums

Vega1

Lets assume instrumental CDs here, not "mainstream" artists that kick *** on the guitar (like Joe Bonamassa, Hendrix, Clapton, or SRV for example).

Lets talk CDs that are just the equivalent of a master class in technique. CDs a guitarist recorded just to show everybody what they do in their basement. You know, those CDs only a guitarist could really appreciate. [biggrin]

"Surfing with the Alien" by Joe Satriani, is an obvious example.

I just discovered Paul Gilbert's "Get Out of my Yard" which is just insane. Listening to it made me hate him so much for making me feel so inadequate as a guitarist. Its amazing.

What else don't I know about out there? What are some of your favorites?

Though kinda cheating because there Are 5 vocal tracks on it, Play by Brad Paisley is one of my current favorites. Stuff like Cliffs of Rock City (a tribute to Eric Johnson; I'm pretty sure you know the song) and Cluster Pluck (got James Burton, Vince Gill, Albert Lee, Brent Mason and Steve Wariner, among others, to play on this) Really showcase that there are still great country guitarists in Mainstream country today, and they can do more than just chicken pick.

Steve Vai "Visual Sound Theories" and "Live at the Astoria, London". They're DVD's, not Albums, but I tend to prefer live performances when it comes to guitarists.

Of course the old stand by's like Jeff Beck's "Wired" and Joe Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien".

Buckethead - Population Override

There are several Mike oldfield albums ( well.. cd's hehe) that are very good.

Agreed. Ommadawn is essential listening for everyone imo. 10,000 guitars played at once surprisingly (or not) sounds nothing like a guitar.

Any Jeff Beck solo album, to put it simply.

I'd also add Get Out Of My Yard, Fuzz Universe, and Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar by Paul Gilbert.

And Satch Flying In A Blue Dream.

And of course, Yngwie's RISING FORCE!!!!

Buckethead - Population Override

Agreed. Ommadawn is essential listening for everyone imo. 10,000 guitars played at once surprisingly (or not) sounds nothing like a guitar.

Tubular Bells was the big one that everyone knows about but I personally always like Ommadawn better.

Eliot Fisk-24 Paganini Caprices.This CD is absolutely phenominal because Fisk took 24 of the most difficult works for violin and transcribed them for guitar and the results are absolutely astounding.There are times that you'd think that there are either overdubs or a second guitar player.BTW Paganini was in fact probably the first person to use hammer-ons and pull-offs in a guitar composition.

Anything by Pat Metheny,Ry Cooder,Pepe Romero,John Williams,Julian Bream,Robert Fripp and Patrick Sayce would be worth getting also.

Archived