Gibson Brands Forums

Saw Slash last night...

mcmurray

The show was phenomenal, in a word.

The man is at the top of his game, most notable were the many long improvised solos. This was a pleasure to witness as you don't get a feel for his improvisational skills by listening to Guns N Roses albums.

I reckon he's the most inimitable player out there. True rock 'n roll royalty who sounded more GnR than "GnR" did the two times they've been to Perth.

Wasn't previously much of a Myles Kennedy fan, although that all changed last night. The man can sing and front a band.

Tickets were relatively pricey but totally worth it. If you get a chance, go.

The show was phenomenal, in a word.

The man is at the top of his game, most notable were the many long improvised solos. This was a pleasure to witness as you don't get a feel for his improvisational skills by listening to Guns N Roses albums.

I reckon he's the most inimitable player out there. True rock 'n roll royalty who sounded more GnR than "GnR" did the two times they've been to Perth.

Wasn't previously much of a Myles Kennedy fan, although that all changed last night. The man can sing and front a band.

Tickets were relatively pricey but totally worth it. If you get a chance, go.

I bet that was an amazing show. I would love to see Slash play live... probably second only to Clapton

I'd love to see him myself. He's doing great now, especially after having one weirdo singer after another (Axl and Scott). Myles is great. Not only can he sing and front a band, but he can play like a mutha' too!

When I was a pre-teen I was a huge Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, George Michael fan (still am). PURE POP.

Then a classmate introduced me to GnG and I was like, "zomg, that's amazing!" She also got me into Motley and Poison, but GnG stood out. They seemed...legit?

Slash always seemed like the heart of the band. I loved Velver Revolver when it came out. Despite Buckethead (oh sh*t, are ya'll gonna start a war over that man now? *braces self) I couldn't get into GnR when they "came back."

Slash is awesomeness.

When I was a pre-teen I was a huge Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, George Michael fan (still am). PURE POP.

Then a classmate introduced me to GnG and I was like, "zomg, that's amazing!" She also got me into Motley and Poison, but GnG stood out. They seemed...legit?

Slash always seemed like the heart of the band. I loved Velver Revolver when it came out. Despite Buckethead (oh sh*t, are ya'll gonna start a war over that man now? *braces self) I couldn't get into GnR when they "came back."

Slash is awesomeness.

To me, GnR is Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steven. No offense to Matt Sorum and Gilby Clarke, but it's true. Axl may be the voice, but you can easily have a GnR without him nowadays just as long as Slash and the others are in it.

I saw Slash last month here in Moncton NB Canada. AWESOME is all that I can say.

You're right about his improv skills. He could go for hours and not repeat himself. I especially loved seeing him do the theme from The Godfather - loved seeing it done on concert videos I've seen over the years and it was a real treat to see him do it live.

The man is one of the reasons I picked up a guitar as a teen in the early 90's.

I only wish he'd played a few tunes from the Illusion albums, but my understanding is that he was never a big fan of the output of GNR during that time - he wanted to do more rockers and less ballads. Only thing is there are still lots of great rockers on those 2 albums.

As for Myles Kennedy, the man makes Axle (even in his prime during the Appetite era) look like a joke. He hits notes live with little effort that Axle never even bothered to attempt live.

I saw Slash last month here in Moncton NB Canada. AWESOME is all that I can say.

You're right about his improv skills. He could go for hours and not repeat himself. I especially loved seeing him do the theme from The Godfather - loved seeing it done on concert videos I've seen over the years and it was a real treat to see him do it live.

The man is one of the reasons I picked up a guitar as a teen in the early 90's.

I only wish he'd played a few tunes from the Illusion albums, but my understanding is that he was never a big fan of the output of GNR during that time - he wanted to do more rockers and less ballads. Only thing is there are still lots of great rockers on those 2 albums.

As for Myles Kennedy, the man makes Axle (even in his prime during the Appetite era) look like a joke. He hits notes live with little effort that Axle never even bothered to attempt live.

Not to mention he doesn't show up two hours late, throw a tantrum, give an angry speech coming directly from his a$$, and leave the audience in shame.....

I have his latest MP3 album, and I have been following him on the Palladia HD channel on Comcast on my TV.

He is in the new 2012 Download Festival that recorded to my DVR earlier this week, will have to start watching that tonight after work.

It took me a bit to get use to Myles voice, but it is growing on me.

Sounds like a great time.

Slash is the real deal, no doubt about it. Guitar Player has interviewed him a few times in the last few years

Seems to be one of the most personable and humble guys in the business and he's always looking to up his game.

Even with all his success he's the first to tell people that he's never done growing and learning his craft.

I really do find that sort of attitude endearing.

/KB

Glad you had a good time bubba!!

I like Slash well enough, but I just can't like Myles Kennedy's voice. I really tried! Maybe a live performance would change that but I don't see it happening.

Definitely go and see them if he plays in your neck of the woods :) Myles is an aquited taste but I get it now.

edit: September 23rd, Toronto. Do it bro!

Tman - you're in for a treat mang. Record the Rocket Queen solo on your phone if you can, I'm kicking myself for not doing it - the highlight of the evening for me.

I don't get it. Slash seems like a nice guy and he plays well but... besides for the stupid hat what has he done for the Rock lexicon. I don't hear him doing anything that countless other guys have done in the past.

What is the big deal?

I know I am going to get smashed on this but he just bores me.

Clapton, Beck, Page, Berry, Satriani, Vai, Van Halen, Jimi, Scotty Moore, all brought something new but what has Slash done to innovate anything. He plays well but it's seems like... been there and heard that before.

The hat is something new. I will give him that.

BillyBob1 your right ,I also like him but he just doesn.t seem to have moved on as a guitarist.He seems to be locked well and truly in the 80s. Could be a good time for a makeover and maybe loose the hat and shades. He seems to have become a caricature of himself.Thinking about it you could say that about most of our guitar heroes. [biggrin] Not wanting to upset anybody ,just my humble opinion.

He seems to have become a caricature of himself.Thinking about it you could say that about most of our guitar heroes. [biggrin] Not wanting to upset anybody ,just my humble opinion.

To my mind Jeff Beck is one of the few "heros" that is constantly changing and coming up with new stuff.

Shred, I am not saying that he is not good I am just saying that he never innovated anything or made a change in the way people approached guitar.

Four players that made mountains move as far as how you view the instrument:

Chuck Berry invented rock and roll

Jimi used the guitar to make sounds never heard before

Van Halen and his tapping technique made everyone go to the woodshed.

Yngvie (who I can't listen to) innovated the whole shred and neo-classical harmonic minor type thing in rock.

Slash ..... cool hat and aviator sunglasses with curley hair all in his face.

I am not down on Slash he plays a hell of a lot better than I but what has he done? I kinda think G&R was so successful was because of Axl and his unique vocal style.

Please don't hate me because of this.

Archived