Gibson Brands Forums

Billie Joe Armstrong Les Paul Junior Double Cut

sellen

I just checked one out at GC, not for me, I have been gassing for a doublecut forever and now I am cured. I did like the neck though.

The TV Yellow is very, very, very green.

There was also a two-pickup custom shop DC and that thing was sweet but even used it is too much $$$.

By the way Sellen they do make them regular production Gibson USA but they are exclusive for American Musical Supply and they are also not cheap, about same price as this BJA model.

thinkin....

this is a ploy to get people into Guitar Center. GC has BJA and the Jr on the cover of the monthly mailer also advertising their 18 months no interest. also explains the $1,900 price tag.

this has nothing to do with players. this has everything to do with GC rakin in sales on that glass d!ck credit card. read the fine print. you'll see why its better to buy used, or a kit from those hep cats in Canada and build your own Junior.

THAT'S PUNK RAWK!

The guitar was $1,200 with a case.

I should clarify that the part I did not care for is the wraparound bridge, I'd put a bigsby on if I had one of these.

The strange thing is that I dig the wraparound bridge on LPs and SGs.

Last time I checked all Juniors (true Juniors at least) came with a Wraparound bridge. It's how they've always been.

He doesn't deserve jack ****. He's am embarrassment to one of the greatest genres to ever grace this earth and its music scenes.

What is Gibson doing here???? Last year they released the BJA J-180 which is nothing more than the Everly J-180, I wonder if they were consulted about that!!

Bob

I think this guitar would serve better if Epiphone had a model as well.

I do have to say that no, Green Day is not punk, but they did help inspire a bunch of kids into playing the guitar. Most kids that grew up in the 80's and 90's listened to them and without their influence a lot of the good bands that exist today would not be around.

I personally am a fan of Green Day. I've listened to them for over 12 years. They're the reason I started playing guitar in the first place. They're a good pop rock band to listen to. Catchy songs. Their songs are incredibly simple to play, but that doesn't mean they're not good. It all depends on the listeners taste.

If this is a ploy by Guitar Center to get kids into the store, they really need to create an Epiphone version within the $300-$500 price range. $1900 is a little outrageous. The guitar is marketed towards the younger crowds more than anybody else, and that's a pretty big chunk of change to come up with for a guitar. Especially for a guitar that only has one pickup. The Epiphone version would probably sell really well considering how many kids do listen to Green Day and all of Billie Joe Armstrong's side projects. They did something similar with Tom Delonge from Blink-182, but also released an Epiphone version. I've literally seen that guitar appear all over our local music scene (the Epiphone version). The Gibson version...not so much.

But I'll say it again. Make an Epiphone version (Also make an Epi version of his other Les Paul Jr too).

Also, I do agree that Johnny Thunders deserves a signature model. He coined the LPJR as a punk rock tool and it is about time he got a little recognition.

All in all the guitar looks pretty sweet but it's WAY to pricey. If Epiphone produced a version of it, I'd probably pick it up. Until then it's a little out of my price range. It probably sounds good and plays great, but $1900 is too much for a signature on the headstock and a sticker on the pickguard. Come on Gibson, license it to Epiphone (or at least the double cutaway Les Paul Jr in TV Yellow) so the working class guitarist can get one too.

Exactly. The Junior should be an affordable guitar.

I understand Billie Joe Armstrong plays on stage in front of 30,000+ people a night and needs a guitar that will be able to hold it's own, but the average consumer cannot afford something like that.

They should definietly consider an Epiphone Model of both the Billie Joe Armstrong and the original Les Paul JR Double Cutaway. That way if you don't want to have Billie Joe Armstrong's name on your guitar you don't have to.

Epiphone should seriously get back on this.

I bought one and I like it, it goes well with my White Billy Joe Armstrong Junior really well. I don't really care about Billy Joe Himself one way or the other. I thought American Idiot was a great album and it brought kids back to a genre of music that was quickly disappearing.

As for whether or not somebody deserves a signature model that's not the point here and it never never has been for Gibson. You don't earn a signature guitar they make some Tribute models that are too honor a musician or an musical era - Signature models are a sales gimmick and always have been so as usual I don't understand why everyone get's so upset about Gibson making guitars to sell them! That's kind of the point of being a large commercial guitar company after all. The Signature on this guitar is minimal and the gig bag is actually cool and matches the case on the hardcase that came with the original BJA model. The Johnny Thunders is a perfect example why would they make a signature model for his guitar? I mean he died in 1991 sure he played a huge roll in punk but the average teenager probably never heard of him and he was dead years before they were born. How would that help sell guitars. Sure if they did a tribute a few major fans would buy one but it sure wouldn't help market guitars in a tough time. And the cost argument of making a Epiphone again a different argument but again unrelated a Epiphone isn't gonna sell gibson labeled models. I haven't bought a Epiphone other than the custom shop Wilshire and honestly I won't probably ever buy one again. Nothing wrong with them but it's a different market segment so making a gibson model doesn't impact a epiphone model at all, why should it?

I bought mine yesterday and paid little over $1000 it's a nice guitar for that price, but as always if you don't like it or don't think it's worth the money, that's fine I mean so what? Ive been buying gear for 40 years and nobody has ever forced me to buy a guitar yet.

He doesn't deserve jack ****. He's am embarrassment to one of the greatest genres to ever grace this earth and its music scenes.

What? punk has always been looked down upon as more of an attitude movement than a musical one, if Green Day sucks then 90% of punk bands suck even more and I am not a fanboy or anything remotely close.

And wasn't the original intention of the Junior to offer an Affordable version of the Les Paul to the working-class musician and younger players? That Junior is like two paychecks for me...hardly affordable.

If you translate what a junior cost in 1957 to now you'd be surprised, while they were cheaper than a Les Paul they were not Epiphone cheap.

No, the issue here is that we are used to import prices for a lot of stuff and then anything else seems expensive.

What is Gibson doing here???? Last year they released the BJA J-180 which is nothing more than the Everly J-180, I wonder if they were consulted about that!!

Bob

Cosmetically yes, specs are different.

For instance the Everly Brothers has a 1.62" nut width, (to me simply unplayable) while the BJA model has a 1.75" nut width, this is a huge difference.

One more designed to strum the other better for picking.

I bought one and I like it, it goes well with my White Billy Joe Armstrong Junior really well. I don't really care about Billy Joe Himself one way or the other. I thought American Idiot was a great album and it brought kids back to a genre of music that was quickly disappearing.

I agree, actually I never cared much for Green Day until they got serious and wrote American Idiot, the follow up was quite good as well.

Did you find the TV Yellow a little Greenish on your guitar? also I saw that this model comes with a gig bag...which people around here call cases more and more, "soft case"...cracks me up. If it is soft it is not a case!

I personally am a fan of Green Day (from 1,039 Smooth up through the recent matieral that's been released off Uno!).

They're a fun band to listen to and have influenced many musicians into playing guitar, bass, or drums (myself included).

I've not played the double cut les paul or his signature acoustic, but I have played his first signature Les Paul Jr and it's a really good guitar.

The only reason I wish they made an epiphone model is because the average kid that plays music and wants to be like Billie Joe Armstrong probably can't afford a thousand dollar plus guitar. Most kids (or their parents) won't be able to spring for something that expensive. It seemed to work well for the Tom Delonge Signature ES-333. Actually, I see more Epiphone versions of that guitar floating around than I do Gibsons.

Epiphone is definitely not Gibson. But for the kids that can't afford the Gibson quality maybe that would be something they could consider. That way everybody who wants one has a chance to own a Billie Joe Armstrong Signature guitar without having to completely break their wallets. Gibsons list price is $1900, but on this forum it's been said you can find it for $1000 or so. That's not too bad, but for the 14 or 15 year old kid who wants to start his first band and move up from a Squier Strat that's a little out of reach.

This is all just my opinion.

Cosmetically yes, specs are different.

For instance the Everly Brothers has a 1.62" nut width, (to me simply unplayable) while the BJA model has a 1.75" nut width, this is a huge difference.

One more designed to strum the other better for picking.

Thank you.

Bob

I think it's a rip-off.

And I think Gibson and GC are once again in cahoots to sucker people out of their hard-earned dough.

Nope, as a consumer it is your responsibility to research what you buy especially if this is a lot of money to the buyer.

For some this is a bargain...that's the market they are appealing to.

On the other hand Gibson makes plenty of affordable options, the singlecut Jr with gloss finish at $699 is an example.

Archived