Gibson Brands Forums

One of those nights...

AnneS

Today, I put my oldest on a plane--she's 19 and off to do a year of study in a boarding school about an hour an half north of London, near Bury St. Edwards --any forumites near there? I 'spect I'll be crossing the pond before the year is out.

So I came home to hold my lovely guitar and let it console me a little, and it gave me this little thing. Not dazzling, I know, but it makes me feel a little better, letting go. She is en route, even as I write this..

(It's a wonderful thing, as many of you surely know--to love one's children well...)

Crossing

Anne,

That's a really sweet song. It has much the same feel as "The Water is Wide", which is one of my all-time favorites.

We may love those little birds and want to protect them, but we've got to let them fly......

It's how we got our own wings.

Wonderful song. Glad it dribbled out of your guitar - interesting process. Curious as to whether of not you had that little melody running thru your mind as you wrote the lyrics, or if the lyrics came first, or if it was an all at once moment.

Thanks, gents.. (and it's Bury St. Edmunds, not "Edwards," as I'd written ...)

As for the process, I had a few lyrics running through my head even as I drove the hour back from the airport, They turned out to be the first and the last lines "Tonight you fly beneath a blue moon, both so bright above the clouds...." and "May you feel you come from love, dear; may you know you come from me."

Even then, I had a sense of the sound/cadence of the lyrics--a melody pre-cursor, you might say. When I got home, I was feeling my way through the melody, and thought I had something but wasn't settled on it. So I took a nap, before I could record what I was working with.

I woke up with no way to retrieve my earlier noodlings but with the sound/sense/cadence of the melody stronger than ever, and in no time at all, my guitar gave me back something more subtle and finished, and that quickly released the rest of the lyrics.

Once I feel something is there, it's usually a matter of waiting... My thing is to avoid over-thinking and pre-judgment and to be brave in that "still' place....

I appreciate the listening, as always-- Yes, my guitar makes everything better. (Even capo'd 7 and even with old strings. :rolleyes: )

-Anne

Really a sweet tune, Anne. Your songs are on a very personal side and the emotions are always in plain sight. I like all of your material. You're easy-to-listen-to. The radio is filled with so many non-singers singing lousy songs, and here you are singing all this sweet music at home. It don't make sense to me. Keep singing, Anne. You'll definitly have us for an audience.

Stunning song, Anne. Beautiful lyrics, and the maple sounds bell-like.

Though in Hungary, I am a native East Anglian. Bury (lovely town, awful beer) is not really my stamping ground, but it is halfway between two places that I have called home for long periods of time, so I can help out if you or your daughter need any information about what to visit in the region.

Is she off to Culford?

Archived