Gibson Brands Forums

Chinesse Fake or Real GOTW

max2343

Im Questioning this 2007 GOTW Custom Classic that was bought for me as a present off of Ebay for me. First Havent stopped by here in a long while and just want to say Hey to Anybody that matters and this one has got me Questioning if its really Real or not. The serial and some photos I sent to Gibson and the serial number does come back according to Gibsons custmer service as a 2007 GOTW Classic Custom and thier offical answer is its consistant with a Guitar from that program but they did not comment on the photos so thats why Im here asking everyone for their opinions. Just how good are these guys getting? I paided alot for this and it looks good but Im thinking its a fake. First it has shotty soldering on top of the Gibson 300k pots and was wired goffy. It supposed to have an Ebony board but its unlike any other ebony board from another gibson I have. If you look at it close it has very small cracks in it just like a Rosewood board but is dark like an Ebony board and I think but Im not sure if u look at the grain in the wood on the neck it has 2 scarf joints 1 at the headstock and 1 just after the neck joint because the grain in the wood is different where those meet. Thats why Im questioning this 1 those points and that the guy that this was bought from on Ebay from my Girlfriend for a present for me seems to have all kinds of dirrent 3 pickup models consistent with Chinesse fakes and my girlfriend dosent know much besides checking with Gibson with the Serial number otherwise everything to me on this looks good. What do u guys think. Im thinking its a fake and we got took

Its a Sweet Axe Since Ive pulled fthe Bridge DP100 and 300k pot and .022 Ceramic disc and replaced it with a 500K pot/Burst bucker 2 and a real vintage .022 paper in oil cap from an old radio. Im gonea try and get 3 vols and a master tone on it later and Im goning to try and wire it to get all 3 pickups on at once

Kool man and thanks R9 Dude All the small cracks in the board really had me woundering along with the Imaginary scarf joints at the headstock and by the neck. None of my other Gibsons have so many real small hairline cracks that looks just like the rosewood boards. My robot and GOTW Explorer must of gotten better Ebony Boards that have hardly any small hairline cracks

Why would you have thought this was a fake? I have seen these hanging in Guitar center lots of times its an out take of the Ace Frehley model.

It came with Dimarzios they were cool guitars.Classic Customs a few years back.

Dimarzios wired to a slit coil on all 3. Solder looked like someone used a to low wattage gun for the pots. Too many small cracks in the ebony board.

Looks just like a painted rosewood Board and unlike all my other Gibsons Ebony and too much time staring at the grain made me l

think I saw 2 scarf joint and alot more photos went to Gibsons Custmer Service and all they said is it looks consistant with being Real. Not a Definate Anwser for me.. Needed some different eyes on it

Archived