Gibson Brands Forums

The new Marshall DSL series!

Ryan H

So, looks like they finally decided to revamp the DSL's. A 15-watt Head and Combo, a 40-watt Combo and a 100-watt Head. And the prices are damn nice too.

MiZot.jpg

Prices at my local guitar shop are:

15-watt Head: $499

15-watt Combo: $599

40-watt Combo: $699

100-watt Head: $899

DAMN those are some good prices.

Thoughts?

I don't think it even matters where its made anymore as 99% of the electronic parts are made in China. It maybe assembled in the UK, but with Chinese made parts.

I think as long as both assembly and parts aren't outsourced, it should be fine. If you give quality UK/American-made components and materials to a worker in China, they'll build a quality amp. If you give Chinese-made components and materials to a worker in the UK, they'll also build a quality amp. It's the stigma that anything that comes from China must be low-quality. How easily swayed we are.

The MG series is made in Vietnam. Need I say more?

And yes I'm certain.

Well, we're comparing tube to SS/modeling there, so it's hardly a fair comparison. At the very least, most people I know who own MG's say that they're built like tanks, so that bodes well for build quality...

That doesn,t look correct to me,I know that some of the lower end stuff is not made in the UK but I would be very suprised and dissapointed to see high end amps and heads not being made at Milton Keynes. I dont know what dollers equate to in pounds but that seems far to cheap to me. Marshall have always said that production would always stay in the UK but as a business they have to survive, granted but why on earth does everything go to China? Good god whats next Gibson guitars made in bloody China????? [cursing] .Some things a just sacrid and should not be changed ever full stop. Personally I would never buy a Chinese Gibson les paul or Chinese Marshall jcm 2000 but I will buy Chinese food yum yum. [biggrin] Thanks to our crap spineless corrupt British government the UK seems to produce the grand some of F all, Land rover ,Jaguar, Marshall ,Vox the list goes on and on. Oh im going back to my bed ,at least thats not made in China.

Jeeez............The war is over......The Vietnamese have have good Q.C. fer cryin' out loud.......My Viet made Egnaters are better than many amps......

I have no interest in any non tube and/or "DSL" Marshall amp though........Nor does my American Vietnamese daughter......[flapper] ....

My guitars and amps were made from all over.......the world.........[smile] ....

Tried to buy a new pair of shoes yesterday. Every pair I tried on had the China label and it wasn't like these shoes were priced cheap. It's now a global market. You still have a choice but that seems to lessen every day.

Yeah.....I was hiking the other day, once we reached 7000 feet, I was breathing in air from the island of Malta....Go figure.....[flapper] ....

So, looks like they finally decided to revamp the DSL's. A 15-watt Head and Combo, a 40-watt Combo and a 100-watt Head. And the prices are damn nice too.

MiZot.jpg

Prices at my local guitar shop are:

15-watt Head: $499

15-watt Combo: $599

40-watt Combo: $699

100-watt Head: $899

DAMN those are some good prices.

Thoughts?

Those prices are like the Haze 15 & 40 designed by Marshall England and made in India. The Haze 15 is a nice head the speaker boxes aren't they made with partical board, the made in china Celestion G12T-66 in them aren't too bad. Now The Haze 40 has some design and QC problems.

Where are MA series made Vietnam or India ?

The 15 watt head will interest me but I wouldn't rush out and get one, I would wait to see how they hold up.

Looks like a nice range of Marshalls [thumbup]

As stated/peeved [biggrin] , the global mfg economy has evolved big-time over the last decade :blink:

Many sacrosanct names have 'given in' to market pressures and out-sourced their mfg/assembly etc to various low labour cost countries...

China is IMO an interesting example...with wizz kid entrepreneurs driving £100,000 Bentleys etc

Whilst the 90%+ remainder work the land with crude technology and/or work in sweat shop assembly factories

The Euro/American designers have the style, innovation, cache and mojo which the 'nouveau riche' in China/India clamour for...

V

:-({|=

To me the issue is not quality control. There are 24 million Americans unemployed or underemployed who would flock to the kind of good manufacturing jobs that we have sent oversees. This is a national crises. The same is true for workers in Europe. And please do not blame the "evil businessman" who is trying to maximize profit (that is, after all his/her job). No, we must blame ourselves. We demand high wages/benefits and low prices. My friends these do not go together. The price of any product is determined by the cost to make the product. Now before I get flamed I am all for high wages, in fact I pay my employees significantly more than the prevailing wage rate in our industry. What I do with every personal purchase is to make every effort to buy domestic product and happily pay more to support our economy and our workers. And yes, as Cookie suggests, sometimes it is just not possible but I try. It is a complex issue for sure........

My handwired Ac30 was built in Vietnam and the quality/sound are top notch. I'd at least try these new Marshalls before dismissing them.

That is really interesting J....

There has been a drive to save costs by using PCB's...often unreliable...in valve amps

Now there is the option to have a top-quality amp hand wired in a low cost mfg location

How lucky we are... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Guest Rabs Vista

Thanks to our crap spineless corrupt British government the UK seems to produce the grand some of F all, Land rover ,Jaguar, Marshall ,Vox the list goes on and on. Oh im going back to my bed ,at least thats not made in China.

Just FYI. Manufacturing and export output is higher in the UK than it has ever been before.

To me the issue is not quality control. There are 24 million Americans unemployed or underemployed who would flock to the kind of good manufacturing jobs that we have sent oversees. This is a national crises. The same is true for workers in Europe. And please do not blame the "evil businessman" who is trying to maximize profit (that is, after all his/her job). No, we must blame ourselves. We demand high wages/benefits and low prices. My friends these do not go together. The price of any product is determined by the cost to make the product. Now before I get flamed I am all for high wages, in fact I pay my employees significantly more than the prevailing wage rate in our industry. What I do with every personal purchase is to make every effort to buy domestic product and happily pay more to support our economy and our workers. And yes, as Cookie suggests, sometimes it is just not possible but I try. It is a complex issue for sure........

Bolded, when that's the only priority you worry about this is what happens. As long as developing nations keep the wages of their workers/cost of business at a level that the U.S./Europe can't compete with it's going to stay like this. With the cost of living in countries like ours do you really think we could even afford a place to rent on the wages those workers in developing nations are paid? With deregulation it's made it even more attractive to ship jobs overseas, and I'll guarantee that the guy working two jobs to feed and clothe his family didn't fight for that deregulation to occur. Just because the strategy for a lot of businesses is to maximize profit at all costs, doesn't mean it's the right one.

Archived