Gibson Brands Forums

Any Recommendations?

adam411booking

The right answer is to play them all and pick what feels right. I like a glued rather than bolted neck. My main bass right now is a Gibson Flying V and I use a Godin freeway 4 for a more Fender like feel. I have an old dean with EMG Hz's for more of a Jazz tone. It comes down to dollars. If money is no object I would go for a Gibson T-bird. If I was going Epiphone and had the money I would get a Jack Cassidy. If I was broke as a joke I would get a an Epi SG. If you have a fender or clone with a 34" neck I would give a short scale 30" a whirl. I really like the neck on the Flying V. I like a variety.

I had a Gibson Grabber once,didn't like it at all,,,,,,now I'm hooked on Rivolis,,so easy to play.

I lust for a Blondie Rivoli... but the Grabber I had in the late 70's was very cool...

&, low & behold, look what Gibby have announced just this week [love]

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Grabber-3-70s-Tribute-Bass.aspx?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Gibson%20Guitar%20Corp.&utm_content=Product+eBlast+9-6-12

The Grabber I had was a big slab of wood with a sliding pickup on it.

That's the one I had also, but I had the slider fixed in my favourite position & installed two Bill Lawrence JB pups in the neck & bridge positions (thus providing an improved Grabber 3) & had the switching set-up to Strat spec... A very versatile bass [thumbup]

I keep a keen eye on eBay to see if I could ever get that bass back [-o<

That's the one I had also, but I had the slider fixed in my favourite position & installed two Bill Lawrence JB pups in the neck & bridge positions (thus providing an improved Grabber 3) & had the switching set-up to Strat spec... A very versitile bass [thumbup]

I keep a keen eye on eBay to see if I could ever get that bass back [-o<

You didn't buy it from a dodgy looking person in Glasgow did you? [crying]

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I'm gonna look into the Gibson T-Bird.

I've been playing bass for almost 9 years now and I've never owned anything other than either Fender or Squier. Don't get me wrong, I love the basses I own now but I think it's time for a change. I would like a shorter neck though. Would that be on the T-Bird or the SG bass?

T-Birds are full 34" scale, whilst EB (SG) basses range from 30 1/2" thru 32" to 34".

Hey... you're gonna love this link Adam

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Bass_Guitars

which was developed & is maintained by two members, RTH & Sjael, from this forum [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks eggs!

Hopefully my local music store has both models in. I'd like to try them out today (if possible).

And are you serious? Two members from this forum actually developed that site? I was literally just browsing on it a few hours ago. That's awesome. I give them two thumbs up as well! They did a really good job with it. I'm impressed!

Archived