Gibson Brands Forums

Hear Ye Hear Ye...

The master of Ye Telecaster.

I know this is an acoustic forum...but in memory of a master that we may not forget.

And for the young guys who never heard im...listen to the first song in full..few sang worse & played better.

My wife just saw this and said...."Oh man he wipes his cooleetto with"..and almost cant say it..and i say "Jimmy Page right"..And she says "no... Jimi Hendrix.." : )

Oh yeah just great stuff.

Buchanan was certainly among the best in the large lot of contenders for the title of Master of the Telecaster. Danny Gatton with beer bottle in hand also comes to mind. For me though it will always be this guy - Mike Bloomfield. The best white boy blues picker that ever was or ever will be.

I still wonder...what made those 50's & early 60's guitars sound so good...?

Was it that they were played so much cause guys didnt have a closet full of em...the old growth wood & that process of drying...the metals in the pickups..the great amplifiers and great basic components..

The biggest change was the do it quick..lets not get to personal manufacture of mass production.

My brothers first electric was a 1980 lefty (CBS) ash Stratocaster..at that time it was still pretty much Strats made in US only.

Thinking back how much care can there be at Fender to put out a guitar in a Sunburst finish with a 5 piece ash body that I swear was the heaviest thing you've ever felt in a guitar.

Anyway the thing had a unique terminator sound.

Later he also had a 50's Telecaster that sounded great but one of the pots died & Carlo Greco put in a replacement & it never sounded the same.

Eventually my brother found out what Carlo had put in was the wrong ohms or something ..by then it was gone. So a small thing can enhance or spoil.

Was it that they were played so much cause guys didnt have a closet full of em...the old growth wood & that process of drying...the metals in the pickups..the great amplifiers and great basic components..

Yep, yep and yep......

I don't actually think it was any of those things, more the recording facilities of the time and the romance of it being in the past. Sorry to be a party pooper! People invest all sorts in vintage guitars.... buy vintage amps, vintage mics and vintage recording gear and you'll sound like that too with a guitar fresh off the line! ...just like they were back then ;)

The biggest change was the do it quick..lets not get to personal manufacture of mass production.

Thing is the 1950s and early 1960s Fenders were just as mass produced as those that came later. And Leo was not above cutting corners wherever he could such as the cheaper finishes and veneer boards that he started using in the early 1960s. All in all Fenders were pretty much shop project guitars, And I doubt old growth lumber had much impact on a solid body guitar other than possibly weight.

Here is what I do know - For decades I played a 1958 Tele - an early one with strings through body. Everybody would tell me if I was using the bridge pup, they could tell it was my Tele before they ever walked in the room. It just had a different sound to it. Probably just luck of the draw as pickups all seem to have had different number of windings and such.

Teles are interesting in that it is like you have to pull the music out of them In the end it may just come down to the fact that guys like Paul Burlinson and others did not have all the boxes, pedals and whatever we do. They had to learn to do it with their fingers and the knobs on the guitar and amp. And we are still trying to catch up with them.

Thing is the 1950s and early 1960s Fenders were just as mass produced as those that came later. And Leo was not above cutting corners wherever he could such as the cheaper finishes and veneer boards that he started using in the early 1960s. All in all Fenders were pretty much shop project guitars, And I doubt old growth lumber had much impact on a solid body guitar other than possibly weight.

Here is what I do know - For decades I played a 1958 Tele - an early one with strings through body. Everybody would tell me if I was using the bridge pup, they could tell it was my Tele before they ever walked in the room. It just had a different sound to it. Probably just luck of the draw as pickups all seem to have had different number of windings and such.

Teles are interesting in that it is like you have to pull the music out of them In the end it may just come down to the fact that guys like Paul Burlinson and others did not have all the boxes, pedals and whatever we do. They had to learn to do it with their fingers and the knobs on the guitar and amp. And we are still trying to catch up with them.

Im sure you've seen this ZW.

But it does not look all that mechanically mass produced compared to some today(but of course not like a handcarved archtop ect).

And note the pace of the work.

I don't actually think it was any of those things, more the recording facilities of the time and the romance of it being in the past. Sorry to be a party pooper! People invest all sorts in vintage guitars.... buy vintage amps, vintage mics and vintage recording gear and you'll sound like that too with a guitar fresh off the line! ...just like they were back then ;)

..I dont know maybe to some extent you are right.

But when I hear Eric Johnson these past years..pretty much exclusively playing new (mostly) Fender guitars (because of an arrangement between them)...

there is a distinct disadvantage to his tone,to the point where is taking away from his playing.

That 57/59 Strat..even through all that effects gear..sounded MUCH better.

Even years ago..Roy Buchanon when he switched to that "other " Tele...it was so obviously dry & harsh compared to that old lively one.

I have two good vintage guitars that I got over 30 years ago..one is a Pre CBS Strat (65')...and compared to 2 recent year Masterbuilt Strats that I ordered.

The old guitar has a little voice behind the notes I play...

the Masterbuilts which were ordered with the spec.."To make them like the old ones were."..sound new but they have hope.

The other is a 57 Les Paul Junior..when I brought it out to use the other guitar player came over up close to ask & look..what it was making that sound..baffled cause he said".. but Ive seen those for $500-600..! " Sitting examining it like Aladdins Lamp wondering how it is making magic.

Another Custom Shop reissue Strat I have from 1990 started sounding like a vintage guitar with a lot of playing and 15 years later.

Then recently there were 2 PreCBS Strat & Telecaster at Golden Age Guitars in Westfield NJ for $25K each or something..(mine cost me $900..yeechs)

If those were authentic..they were both equally horrible instruments..despite being vintage.

Which in itself baffeling..as how likely is it that two from the same consigner were totally shite (& felt so wrong to the hand as well).

Anyway personally...if a vintage guitar has that magic sound I think "a lot for it" is worth it...even if it has to be the only guitar one owns.

But not if its just for the sake of its age.