Gibson Brands Forums

What do you recommend for a small, solid-state practice amp?

heymisterk

Avoid the Fender Frontman series... they're garbage. The Fender Mustang I & II are nice for practice amps. Those are the only ones I've used other than some of the old Acoustic amps (that's Acoustic the brand not acoustic guitar amps). I see someone suggested the Roland Cube... Roland/Boss stuff is usually pretty bulletproof, as are some of the older Peavey amps...though the Peavey tend to get scratchy pots. That's easily fixed with a can of electrical contact cleaner. Have fun shopping!

I have the Vox Pathfinder 15 R as Teer recommended and for around $130 it's an incredible little S.S. amp and really has a tube amp like performance and sound with great reverb and tremolo effects.I recently bought a Vox VT-20 for my cousin's grandson,it's a Hybrid but has the 12 AX 7 tube in the power amp as opposed to the preamp in most other brands which gives it a sound and performance almost indistinguishable from a real tube amp.It has 33 very realistic amp models and 33 incredibly accurate effects and the Leslie and Uni-Vibe simulations have to be heard to be believed-their are that true to the real things even when it comes to ramping up and slowing down gradually just like the actual effects.There is an optional foot controller that allows you to access the dozens of preset sound/amp models or allows you to program dozens of your own amp/effects/tone settings. You get all this for under $200.BTW it also has an excellent reverb/echo/delay section.

Hi All,

It's time to buy a practice amp. I have actually never owned one, but I don't always feel like going into my basement and plugging into my Mesa-Boogie combo, which is what I normally have to do.

I am looking to spend less than $200, and really do want a solid state amp just for the ease and reliability.

Think: "Amp to keep next to the couch and play through during commercial breaks." Suggestions please?

Thanks!

Jeff

These are pretty nifty...and sound pretty good too. http://www.amazon.com/Vox-amPlug-Classic-Guitar-Headphone/dp/B000ZJTPLG

I kind of like the little Vox VT-20 modeling amp. I haven't sat down with it long enough to figger out all what all the dang dials & buttons do. It does sound pretty good for a cheapie. I think I would have liked the 10" version better.

Aster

remato-amplificador-peavey-envoy-110-s-40010639341_3_2010223_9_30_44.jpg

Possibly my best friend in terms of amps. Strong clean channel, clear reverb, 2 forms of gain (push/pull pot), sounds amazing cranked, and it's made in the good ol USA. (This model and era. Has to be this one, the new ones aren't as good)

Archived