Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Dot Upgrades

Cyphre

I sold my Ibanez AS73 awhile back and bought a 2001 Samick-made Epiphone Dot in incredible shape, especially for it's age.

I know it was likely a trade down, but I did pay less for the Dot than I sold the Ibanez for and I like the feel and looks of the Dot a lot more. And I got a hard Epi case to boot.

So I have a ES-335 wiring kit coming from a great fellow called Twang (to which I will affix to a Switchcraft 3-way toggle I already had), a Tusq nut, Harpmaster's HMS-3 Classic PAF Humbuckers coming hopefully by month's end for my birthday and I have cleaned and oiled the fretboard.

So I am wondering if I should get a new bridge. Why would I need a new bridge? It doesn't rattle, but it is just a cheap-o stock Epiphone LockTone Tune-o-matic. Do I even need a new bridge?

Which bridge, if so? Maybe a simple Gotoh Tune-o-matic Bridge? Or maybe a ResoMax Harmonic Bridge System? What about simply placing Tusq saddles in my stock Epi bridge?

What about a roller bridge, especially since I am thinking of placing a Bigsby B-11 on the guitar at a later date? Is it ok to have a roller bridge without a trem, or would that not work out too well?

I am ignorant about how much of a difference any of these things make.

Please help out your noobish forum mate with answers....?

WELL SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE GONNA MAKE HER A NICE PIECE! AND IF YOU'RE GONNA DO A BIGSBY YES PUT A ROLLER BRIDGE ON IT.

IN FACT, I HAVE A ROLLER BRIDGE THAT I BOUGHT BRAND NEW. NEVER USED IT. HAS A ROSEWOOD ARCHED SADDLE.

IF YOU NEED ONE FOR A GOOD PRICE SEND ME A MESSAGE AND I'LL HOOK YOU UP!

I SEE YOU'RE IN DALLAS, I'M RIGHT CLOSE TO YOU DOWN BY RED OAK.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED THAT!

WELL SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE GONNA MAKE HER A NICE PIECE! AND IF YOU'RE GONNA DO A BIGSBY YES PUT A ROLLER BRIDGE ON IT.

IN FACT, I HAVE A ROLLER BRIDGE THAT I BOUGHT BRAND NEW. NEVER USED IT. HAS A ROSEWOOD ARCHED SADDLE.

IF YOU NEED ONE FOR A GOOD PRICE SEND ME A MESSAGE AND I'LL HOOK YOU UP!

I SEE YOU'RE IN DALLAS, I'M RIGHT CLOSE TO YOU DOWN BY RED OAK.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED THAT!

Like this one... http://www.guitarfetish.com/Archtop-Roller-Bridge-Rosewood-Base_p_98.html# ???

What is the rosewood for? Does it serve to transfer more of the string's vibrations to the body?

Not just odd --- it won't work. The bridge height with the rosewood saddle will be way too high for a Dot --- it will make the action unplayable and the intonation intolerable.

No worries. Not gonna go in that direction.

I have the same roller bridge on my Dot and Sherry, both with Bigsbys. I really don't think they are too hard to intonate, and nice that you can lock them in place when done. Just make sure you check to make sure the locking screws for each saddle are tight from time to time. I had a saddle fall off about 5 minutes before we were going to play, and I had a solo right away.

I also have one on an Agile AL-3100, also with a Bigsby. It is really nice on that guitar because the angle from the top of the saddles, particularly the E,B,and G strings, are pretty steep. The opening on the back of the saddles allows the strings not to hit the back of the bridge, which will cause the guitar to go out of tune.

Just a side note - I have never had any problem with any of my guitars with Bigsbys going out of tune any more so than you would expect from bending strings. I highly recommend the Wilkison bridges.

AL-3100RollerBridgecloseupgreat.jpg

Archived