Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio realities

hi13ts

BillyBob's opinion not withstanding, IMO the Studio is one of the best values out there and it's most definitely not a crappy guitar. The statement "Custom Shop prices are 80% about the wood" is simply not true - the prices are more about the amount of handwork and the time spent producing the guitar. Alan's post is on target, going toward the time spent producing the shape, finish, bindings, inlays, and a bit of a bump for figured wood.

.... The following may help. As you go down I've simply added in the features additional to the model in the line above (using just those features that are typically there year on year):

Faded Studio/Tribute £500-£550- minimal nitro coated LP with Gig bag; flatter top; plain top; 490R & 498T (or P90s); painted headstock logo

Glossy Studio £800-£900- labour/time intensive nitro coats adds quite a bit; case (worth maybe £100 as an included extra;)

Traditional- £1200 - binding to neck and body; thicker, fully curved top; '57 Classics (not much extra cost over 490R/498T on paper.)

Traditional Plus £1400 - plus top AA grade; inset headstock logo

Standard £1600 - AAA top; Burstbuckers (again, BBs not a great price hike over '57s on paper)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you think there is no grading of the wood bodies used at Gibson?

No, I don't. In the context we are speaking here, it isn't applicable.

An LP Standard can be as many pieces as a Studio?

It can. You are very very ill informed if you think "number of pieces" is an indication of quality. Most people that make guitars and have a beer with you, if you are ever lucky enough to do that, will tell you that more pieces makes for a stronger body that is far more warp resistant, especially a material like mahogany.

You are so off base. One other thing it's the royal we not imperial. Just something else you are wrong about.

The Majestic Plural has been for more than a century mis-used as imperial we such that it has become accepted use. In America, we have no royalty, "the royal we" has never really rolled off the tongue so well. The 20th century brought awareness of more imperialism to our culture, and the majestic plural very quickly morphed from Royal We to Imperial We. The next version is sure to be The Corporate We, because that is already in use.

You might want to learn a little more about guitars before you go mouthin off to a guy like me. And if you don't know as much about guitars, or maybe don't have as much experience, just don't say anything. You look like a ninth grader when you do that.

rct

Just to stick my nose in where it's not needed......

Of my LPs all, oddly enough, have one piece mahogany bodies.

With regard the backs of these guitars; Of the two USA models one has quarter-sawn (straight) grain and one has flat-sawn (flowing) grain. Both Historic guitars are flat-sawn with the centre of the 'flow' as near as dammit in the centre of the body.

Does this excercise prove anything? Probably not.

Here they are from (L-R) oldest to youngest. '91; '93; '95; '95. "Note small heels" as Yas Iwanade would no doubt say....

fourrears.jpg

[smile]

As far as the grade of maple used for the top goes; AA maple is used on various Custom Shop models - such as the R8 - as well as the USA guits. There's absolutely nothing sonically inferior about a 'plain-top'.

In fact, 90% of the '58 - '60 originals used what we would now grade as AA.

AAA and up just makes for a fancier top.

P.

* Pun. Ho Ho Ho !

Just to stick my nose in where it's not needed......

Of my 4 LPs all have one piece mahogany bodies.

With regard the backs of these guitars; Of the two USA models one has quarter-sawn (straight) grain and one has flat-sawn (flowing) grain. Both Historic guitars have flowing grain with the centre of the 'flow' as near as dammit in the centre of the body.

Take from that what you will...

I'll rattle off a few snaps by way of illustration. Back soon! *

[smile]

As far as the grade of maple used for the top goes; AA maple is used on various Custom Shop models - such as the R8 - as well as the USA guits. There's absolutely nothing sonically inferior about a 'plain-top'.

In fact, 90% of the '58 - '60 originals used what we would now grade as AA.

AAA and up just makes for a fancier top.

P.

* Pun. Ho Ho Ho !

It is my understanding of the wood business that the use of letters as some sort of indication of how good the flame is or the amount of flame in the figuring of the wood is entirely up to the user of the letters. Paul Reed can call anything he wants AAAA, as can Gibson or Fender, there is no authority that determines such. To me, that makes it all snake oil, buyer-beware stuff. If you like the guitar and it plays well and sounds like a Les Paul should, it doesn't really matter what the top looks like or how many pieces the back is or how the grain goes on Thursdays. If you are only concerned with the top figure and the grain of the single piece back, you probably aren't yet experienced enough with guitars to know the lack of difference, not to mention the fairly obvious fact that many many many times many of the best sounding maple topped guitars ever have generous coats of car paint on them, so there is no telling what is under there.

And by you I meant the You the Queen uses in ordinary speech, The Majestic Singular, The Royal You, The Imperial You, The Corporate You. You know. By which I meant you You, and not the other.

rct

It is my understanding of the wood business that the use of letters as some sort of indication of how good the flame is or the amount of flame in the figuring of the wood is entirely up to the user of the letters. Paul Reed can call anything he wants AAAA, as can Gibson or Fender, there is no authority that determines such. To me, that makes it all snake oil, buyer-beware stuff. If you like the guitar and it plays well and sounds like a Les Paul should, it doesn't really matter what the top looks like or how many pieces the back is or how the grain goes on Thursdays. If you are only concerned with the top figure and the grain of the single piece back, you probably aren't yet experienced enough with guitars to know the lack of difference, not to mention the fairly obvious fact that many many many times many of the best sounding maple topped guitars ever have generous coats of car paint on them, so there is no telling what is under there.

And by you I meant the You the Queen uses in ordinary speech, The Majestic Singular, The Royal You, The Imperial You, The Corporate You. You know. By which I meant you You, and not the other.

rct

We completely agree with you both, rct.

In their description, Gibson (AFAIK) only goes up to 5A whereas PRS does at least 10A (wow) but "Flame does not equal Tone", folks. Nothing to do with it at all.

And ours? The fact that our guits have a 'one lump of wood body' is co-incidence. Probably. We didn't even look when we made the purchases - just bought those which sounded the best. Then again, mischief-makers might suggest the fact that the best-sounding guits were the ones with one-piece bodies is absolute proof............lol!

Nah. IMHO a good guitar is a good guitar whether it's made from one, two or ten lumps of mahogany.

And FWIW my favourite 'looker' (from the front!) is my plain-top.

P.

We completely agree with you both, rct.

I laughed. Hard.

In their description, Gibson (AFAIK) only goes up to 5A whereas PRS does at least 10A (wow) but "Flame does not equal Tone", folks. Nothing to do with it at all.

And ours? The fact that our guits have a 'one lump of wood body' is co-incidence. Probably.

It is coincidence for the most part. There's a pile of blanks and the guy takes the next blank and makes whatever guitars the company is making that day or that shift. He doesn't look at the blank and marvel at the grain or count the pieces or anything, it's a blank to be made into a guitar.

We didn't even look when we made the purchases - just bought those which sounded the best. Then again, mischief-makers might suggest the fact that the best-sounding guits were the ones with one-piece bodies is absolute proof............lol!

I have certainly heard that, but unfortunately for me, all guitar players that actually take them out and use them have the very same experience: there is no telling how many pieces made the back or how many As are in the top, a great guitar, a great Les Paul, a GREAT Les Paul is a great guitar no matter how many pieces in the back or how many As in the top. It really is a rule that has many many exceptions that disprove it over and over again.

And FWIW my favourite 'looker' (from the front!) is my plain-top.

Luddite.

rct

I would love to see a Studio with a one piece back as attractive as pippys Standards and Historics. For the sake of civility I will give up and say "UNCLE".

Just one thing rct, to justify the misuse of imperial we as opposed to royal we on the fact that everyoune else does it wrong does not make it right. It's still wrong.

I am sincere when I say I hope you all have a great day. Make some music!!

I would love to see a Studio with a one piece back as attractive as pippys Standards and Historics. For the sake of civility I will give up and say "UNCLE".

Alright well, you don't have to say Uncle. I've seen some pretty nice pieces of mahogany in my career, and lots of it not on standards or customs or even customme shoppe stuff. My crummy run-of-the-mill Explorer is made of suPERB looking pieces of mahogany.

Just one thing rct, to justify the misuse of imperial we as opposed to royal we on the fact that everyoune else does it wrong does not make it right. It's still wrong.

And many would agree with you, maybe even me. I don't write dictionaries, I am not a lexicographicogizerater, nor am I a Regional Slang Expert, but I do listen to Way With Words. Language grows and changes, it evolves to fit the need. I didn't make Imperial We an acceptable form of The Majestic Plural, big experts in language use did. I wouldn't even know all that if we didn't drive across the country and listen to the Way With Word podcasts.

I am sincere when I say I hope you all have a great day. Make some music!!

Oh right back at you!

rct

Is the maple cap actually a few centimeters thinner? More pieces of wood?

I think some of that is hear say and rumours.

I have measured my maple cap on my 2001 desert burst studio and it measures the exact same thickness as one of the esteemed members of this forum posted of his Les Paul custom.

My 2 cents. I am very happy with my 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute with P90 pickups. It looks good with the Honey Burst finish. I did not buy my LP Studio to get a piece of art work -- I bought it because of the sound it makes and the playability, and oh yes the price suited my budget. The LP Studio with P90's paired with the Gibson GA-5 Reissue amp produces great sounds that I want even without my pedal board! The Secret of the Les Paul Studio line of guitars is they play just like the more expensive models.

I think some of that is hear say and rumours.

I have measured my maple cap on my 2001 desert burst studio and it measures the exact same thickness as one of the esteemed members of this forum posted of his Les Paul custom.

Hello Eracer_Team! Actually the top is thinner on a Studio than on a Classic Custom for example. I have a 50's Tribute with the faux binding and an antique natural Classic Custom. On these guitars the difference is clearly visible. The Studio's top is thinner by approximately 3 millimeters (measured at the edges):

HPIM3070.jpg

Cheers...Bence

Hello Eracer_Team! Actually the top is thinner on a Studio than on a Classic Custom for example. I have a 50's Tribute with the faux binding and an antique natural Classic Custom. On these guitars the difference is clearly visible. The Studio's top is thinner by approximately 3 millimeters (measured at the edges):

Hey Bence..

Probably on your 50's Tribute it is when comparing.

I just did a quick search on the forum for my post on this earlier in the year

Pippy posted "I've just checked my R9 and it's 'only' 11/16" at the rear of the bridge cavity"

I then pulled my pickups and measured on my 2001 Desert Burst Studio: 18mm or 23/32" or 11/16" or 0.708661 inches thick

Turned out my maple cap is the same thickness as Pippy's R9

Has anyone here ever had or heard of some painted Studios actually having a binded body hidden under the paint?The way I understand it is that sometime around1990 Gibson had actually used Standard bodies on a few Studios.I do not know why or if this has any truth to it,but I do know that some odd things can and do have to be done at certain times for the sake of production. :-s

Hey Bence..

Probably on your 50's Tribute it is when comparing.

I just did a quick search on the forum for my post on this earlier in the year

Pippy posted "I've just checked my R9 and it's 'only' 11/16" at the rear of the bridge cavity"

I then pulled my pickups and measured on my 2001 Desert Burst Studio: 18mm or 23/32" or 11/16" or 0.708661 inches thick

Turned out my maple cap is the same thickness as Pippy's R9

Hello! I think Pippy's way of measuring is more accurate than my estimation was. Looking at the edges might be misleading. During the next string change I will make the very same measuring at the pickup cavities. That makes more sense really. Cheers... Bence

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents here. Not to cause a stir or any commotion but from my extensive research I have found the following:

1) The only time Gibson selects a AAA top over, say, a AA top is when they are creating their Custom Shop models or very high-end standards. The reason for this is that the Custom Shop Gibsons are built in a separate area (as they are all so unique and time-consuming to produce) and only then are they as selective as many people claim they are.

The Standards and Studios are built in the same area and a Studio COULD potentially be created out of 2 pieces while the following Standards is created out of 3 pieces. This is because this does not play a huge role in sound, and while it MAY (no one can be completely sure), this is a rare case and not worth it for Gibson to "waste time" deciding. After all, they are a business and productivity is key. So while many Standard owners like to believe their guitars are made from better quality wood, it's not to say that they are not, but it isn't true that they always are either. Pickups, neck thickness, fingerboard, amplifier, etc. all play a much more important role in this sound. I can guarantee that if you ask 10 people if the price for their Standards is justified when compared to the sound of a Studio, 9 out of 10 will say it's not. For looks, maybe. But as for wood quality, we can't be sure.

2) Eddie Van Halen's guitars were assembled by himself for $150 and painted with Schwinn bicycle paint by hand with no lacquer whatsoever. His pickups were potted with surfer wax and his amplifier was a rental he borrowed. His pedal board was a piece of wood with his pedals taped on. Now people 30 years later are still attempting to copy his guitar tone, buying expensive $3000 5150 amplifiers and $3000 Kramer guitars. Even INCLUDING the cost of inflation, this is insane. This just goes to show that money doesn't always mean better sound/quality. I know we're just talking about wood here but this I feel this is strongly related to this question.

3) Boston's "More Than A Feeling" was recorded on a $99 used Yamaha which used to lay around Tom Scholz's home. If you YouTube covers of this song, you will find people attempting to get this sound out of $2500 Taylor's and Martin's. Again, as mentioned above, price doesn't always mean the best sound and quality.

Now, I'm not bagging on Standards or trying to single out any argument in the posts here, but in all honesty, you shouldn't worry so much about the wood grain direction and the grade of it as you should the sound. I personally have a Studio Les Paul (2012) and honestly, I see little difference in the difference of sound between it and the Standard. Now I've noticed that some of the hardware is a bit cheaper, as someone above mentioned -- the toggle switch is plastic and coming from Grovers on my previous axe, the tuners aren't phenomenal. But these things can all be changed over time.

And finally, as mentioned above countless times as well, all guitars are different. Every single one. I'm willing to GUARANTEE that there are a few Studios out there that would put some Standards to shame. These guitars are all made by hand, all made with different woods, and all made by people who are in a different mood every other day. It all comes down to finding one that's better than the rest. They're far and inbetween, but when you find one, what everyone else thinks doesn't matter because it'll do the job perfectly.

Sorry for the length of the post; it was completely unintended.

At the beginning of this they say that they look and see what the wood tells them.. if its going to be two or three piece (or even the occasional one piece (but they dont say that (but we know they exist) :) So its pretty much luck of the draw.

1:18

hi!

maybe I know my 60 tribute studio better than most people since I ran a CT-scan on it ...

it is a three piece body with a two piece top. no neck joint ... and it is a very fine guitar ...

yours

wolfi

Hey wolfi,

I'm a fellow RT MRI/CT Technologist, great job with that scan.

I've been thinking of shooting an X-ray on a scoliosis film of my guitars and printing them out of pacs . Sorry for the thread hijac.

I agree with that the "A" designation refers to the maple flame grade.

Many factors go into the tone of a electric guitar, if a guitar has a better flame, doesn't mean itl sound better than a plain top.

Wood densities,weight, possibly e en maple cap thickness, resonance, pickups, pickup height, action, intonation, then cables, pedals, amplifier, and you.

Archived