Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer 90

coreblade

I´ve bought an Explorer 90 in very good condition.It´s my first Gibson. My questions are: Are here owners of such a beauty? Is the EMG 81 the stock PU? How many 90s were built? I think, I will change the PU to an original Dommenget/Jabs Musclebucker.

90full1iyu7r.jpg

The color is Luna Silverfish. I´ve heared, that color is rare. Is it?

Thanks for your answers!

Hi,

You can find attached the specifications of the Explorer 90. This guitar model was available only in 1988, in alpine white, ebony or luna silver. I think yours is alpine white.

The amount of guitars made is however considered as confidential information.

Kind regards,

Stijn

post-15276-097752200 1346850226_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the score! It is a rare bird and bar nome, the greatest explorer made.

You have the 88 Exp 90. They also made a "90 double" in 89-90, which had a single coil in,the neck and had no neck binding.

I have an 88 in white and an 89 in silver. Yours is silver from the pic. The original pickup is a Bill Lawrence HBL, not the EMG (I have an extra one of you want to buy it in,the event you want to restore it to original condition).

Otherwise, enjoy it with the pup of choice, but don't mod it! They will likely never make these again.

Congrats on the score! It is a rare bird and bar nome, the greatest explorer made.

You have the 88 Exp 90. They also made a "90 double" in 89-90, which had a single coil in,the neck and had no neck binding.

I have an 88 in white and an 89 in silver. Yours is silver from the pic. The original pickup is a Bill Lawrence HBL, not the EMG (I have an extra one of you want to buy it in,the event you want to restore it to original condition).

Otherwise, enjoy it with the pup of choice, but don't mod it! They will likely never make these again.

Thanks for your information. I think, I will change the PU to an Dommenget/Jabs Musclebucker. Btw. the original PU is an option. Please tell me your price incl. shipping to germany. Last but not least I let Matthias Jabs sign this guitar in march 2013. I will meet him in munich.

PM or Email me your general location and I will look into shipping costs.

As for the autograph, I think it is great you will have a chance to meet with him, but I would suggest reconsidering the signature on your guitar. If you sincerely wish to have M. Jabbs sign your guitar, then by all means, do whatever makes you happy, but I do not think it will enhance the value of the guitar (and it may even hurt it, despite Jabbs' role in the design of the guitar). Some people just don't want the signature or have no desire to pay extra for it. An alternative might be to get his autograph on paper and ask him to take a picture playing the guitar (both of which can be included in the case in the event you wish to sell the Explorer one day).

Archived