Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestions needed

DAS44

Heya everyone, I'm in the market for a superstrat in the vein of a Jem (well, superstrat bodystyle not exclusive, but you get my point)... On o' them pencil necked Japanese guit-fiddles. Probably looking to drop between $600-$1000 on it, assuming the quality is up to par of course.

Any models I should keep an eye out for?

I love me a superstrat!

Not sure about the price conversion from £ to US$ but you might get an Ibanez RG1550/1570 at the top end of your budget. I can thoroughly recommend mine- the quality of finish and woods of this J-Craft made 'Prestige' guitar are more than a match for my Gibbys. I can also heartily recommend the Charvel Promods. They also have a thin neck but just the 22 frets. The ealier versions are American made (at the Fender factory) but the more recent MIJ ones are one of the best value guits on the market, IMO. You could also consider a Jackson DK2 if you want the 24 frets but can't stretch to an Ibanez Prestige, although the DK2's Floyd is licensed. There is also now an Ibanez 'Premium' series that are Indonesian made (I think) but a lot of people seem to be liking.

Superstrats are a funny thing, they have the word "Strat" in it, but Fender has yet to make a decent Superstrat. One mans perfect neck is another mans flat plank. Personally I prefer Jackson's DK series, or a Soloist if you can land one at a decent price.

Gem's are really nice players, but I have yet to see one in person that doesn't have neck joint issues. Carvin is a great way to go if you don't care about the "Wow" factor. It's like showing off a pair of Wranglers, they're at least as good as a pair of Levis but chicks are simply not impressed. [unsure]

Archived