Gibson Brands Forums

Cigar Box Guitar

4Hayden

I bought a trashed out ole LP and I'm making a Cigar Box Guitar out of it,I can put one or two pick ups on it but can't make up my mind on the strings 3 or 4.

Anyone else made one and do you have any tips before I start putting it together.

Thanks

4Hayden

Guest Rabs Vista

I've built a number of em. I suggest 4 strings personally. I've got 2 cohiba boxes and 1 crappy American brand box ready to go. For pickups I use piezoelectric buzzers, pull one apart and attach the metal plate below the bridge. Nice and simple, as a CBG should be.

P1010003-1-1.jpg

I made the one on the left (duh) for peanuts. There are tons of information online on how to make them. They're an absolute blast to play. Basically get a box, cut some notches for the neck and a hole for the sound. Glue a 1x 3 or 4 to the lid. Cut some bolts for a bridge and a nut. Drill some holes for the pegs which are cheap and easy and string it up with acoustic strings.

P1010009-1.jpg

This is my attempt at an electric. It looks cool, but was a total bomb.

You might want to send a pm to brianh; he's built and posted pic's of several. He doesn't check in much anymore, hence the pm suggestion. Never having built one, but my 2 cents would be four strings. Have fun!

Thanks for the info,I'll send him a pm

I've built a number of em. I suggest 4 strings personally. I've got 2 cohiba boxes and 1 crappy American brand box ready to go. For pickups I use piezoelectric buzzers, pull one apart and attach the metal plate below the bridge. Nice and simple, as a CBG should be.

I have two Cuban wood cigar boxes and two pick ups so I'll probably build two at once. Thanks for your help

P1010003-1-1.jpg

I made the one on the left (duh) for peanuts. There are tons of information online on how to make them. They're an absolute blast to play. Basically get a box, cut some notches for the neck and a hole for the sound. Glue a 1x 3 or 4 to the lid. Cut some bolts for a bridge and a nut. Drill some holes for the pegs which are cheap and easy and string it up with acoustic strings.

P1010009-1.jpg

This is my attempt at an electric. It looks cool, but was a total bomb.

I'm goimg to try to build two electric cigar box guitars,I'll post some pics as I go.Thanks for your advice.

I am planning to make me one as well. Planning that for a few years now. Still searching for a cigar box. I can find the very small ones but the big cigar boxes are considered as collectables it seems, just can't get my hand to one for free.

Maybe I'll make me a jumbo with a wine crate.

Hello, Fellow Babies and 4Hayden,

Sorry I missed brianh's posts. I thought the whole cigar-box guitar thing was more of a myth that your grampa would tell you when he was describing how tough things were during the great Depression. hmm... I guess we wont be listening to any more of those.... Anyway, it might be worth your while to checkout SmokehouseGuitars. He is a member here, but he rarely posts to the Forum; I expect it's mainly 'cause he's busy running his business making custom guitars- including lots of cigar box guitars - located, I think, in California. He's making serious guitars, and it's worth a look. I guess have a look at his profile.

Hey, Rocky4, I like your style. Looks like, building-wise, we were thinking about the same sort of finish look. Did you build the necks, fret board and peg heads? You didn't mention pickups. Is the blue guitar on the right electrified?

I checked out SmokehouseGuitars' site last year. We communicated because in his introduction to the Forum he mentioned his cigar-box, and I didn't take it seriously. So we communicated back n forth. For instance I thought he'd be using real cigar boxes, so I had questions about internal bracing, etc. And here was my big idea -- and, remember I'm mostly about the external decorations -- I like the decorations seen on real cigar boxes, the stylized floral ornamental, the deco art, etc. - really cool - so I thought I'd like to duplicate that in the finished guitar. I was pleasantly surprised at his work and his shop. You should get an eyefull, he's the real deal.

overtherainbo

O.o WOW!!! Those look so neat-o

I never knew those were usable...I saw one once and thought it was a novelty item.

Can someone post the way they sound either on a video or whatever?

They're played like a slide guitar or dobro,some have frets others don't and some are electric some aren't

Hello, Fellow Babies and 4Hayden,

Sorry I missed brianh's posts. I thought the whole cigar-box guitar thing was more of a myth that your grampa would tell you when he was describing how tough things were during the great Depression. hmm... I guess we wont be listening to any more of those.... Anyway, it might be worth your while to checkout SmokehouseGuitars. He is a member here, but he rarely posts to the Forum; I expect it's mainly 'cause he's busy running his business making custom guitars- including lots of cigar box guitars - located, I think, in California. He's making serious guitars, and it's worth a look. I guess have a look at his profile.

Hey, Rocky4, I like your style. Looks like, building-wise, we were thinking about the same sort of finish look. Did you build the necks, fret board and peg heads? You didn't mention pickups. Is the blue guitar on the right electrified?

I checked out SmokehouseGuitars' site last year. We communicated because in his introduction to the Forum he mentioned his cigar-box, and I didn't take it seriously. So we communicated back n forth. For instance I thought he'd be using real cigar boxes, so I had questions about internal bracing, etc. And here was my big idea -- and, remember I'm mostly about the external decorations -- I like the decorations seen on real cigar boxes, the stylized floral ornamental, the deco art, etc. - really cool - so I thought I'd like to duplicate that in the finished guitar. I was pleasantly surprised at his work and his shop. You should get an eyefull, he's the real deal.

overtherainbo

thanks for your help!

The one at the right is a Daddy Mojo. I've since had a mini humbucker to it. The yellow one that I made is pretty basic.

http://cigarboxguita...igar-box-guitar

I used bolts and cut off the heads for the nut and bridge. As for the neck, I just rounded off the edges with sandpaper on the back. I cheated on the fretboard. Instead of cutting out material where the neck goes through the body, I just glued a strip of 1/4 inch to the neck. Once it was strung, I fretted what sounded like the octave and drew a line with a marker for a twelfth fret. The G, A, etc markings were made by finding what sounded right.

The one at the right is a Daddy Mojo. I've since had a mini humbucker to it. The yellow one that I made is pretty basic.

http://cigarboxguita...igar-box-guitar

I used bolts and cut off the heads for the nut and bridge. As for the neck, I just rounded off the edges with sandpaper on the back. I cheated on the fretboard. Instead of cutting out material where the neck goes through the body, I just glued a strip of 1/4 inch to the neck. Once it was strung, I fretted what sounded like the octave and drew a line with a marker for a twelfth fret. The G, A, etc markings were made by finding what sounded right.

If you don't mind I may need some advice as I build this thing

The internet is your best friend. There are tons of sites on building a cbg. Youtube has many how to vids, but I'll answer any questions I can.

Well I got all the parts now so now it's down to making it & putting it together.Thanks

Guest Rabs Vista

I am planning to make me one as well. Planning that for a few years now. Still searching for a cigar box. I can find the very small ones but the big cigar boxes are considered as collectables it seems, just can't get my hand to one for free.

Maybe I'll make me a jumbo with a wine crate.

I'll send you one. Not really big but big enough. Cash flow is slow this month but wait a while and I'll be on it.

Archived