Gibson Brands Forums

Cigar Box Guitar

4Hayden

Guest Rabs Vista

My biggest concern is the distance between the saddle and the nut and then the frets between that. All vids and explenations I saw so far go very fast over that as if it is not important...

I have only ever drawn frets on as I play slide on them. I copy a scale from another guitar. I have a half size classical which has a nice short scale. There are kits on eBay which come with a pre-fretted neck.

That could be saved. What kind of LP is it?

The tail piece that holds the strings is pulled out of the body,I have no idea what kind it is it just has Gibson on the head stock.Guy said his dad had it in the 60's, so no idea how old or what kind it is.

Guest Farnsbarns

The tail piece that holds the strings is pulled out of the body,I have no idea what kind it is it just has Gibson on the head stock.Guy said his dad had it in the 60's, so no idea how old or what kind it is.

STOP!

There's far more knowledgeable people around, I don't even know what years that guitar might have been made so wait for more replies, but...

"In the 60s"? Be very careful. You do not want to butcher it if it's a 57-61. Even if it's 68 or 9 it's well worth pouring a few grand into it.

Edit: looking at the pics there are some points of interest. The pots look wrong and the truss rod cover looks weird. Could you post more pics.

STOP!

There's far more knowledgeable people around, I don't even know what years that guitar might have been made so wait for more replies, but...

"In the 60s"? Be very careful. You do not want to butcher it if it's a 57-61. Even if it's 68 or 9 it's well worth pouring a few grand into it.

Edit: looking at the pics there are some points of interest. The pots look wrong and the truss rod cover looks weird. Could you post more pics.

From looking at it there's no telling what has been changed on it,one control knob for sure.The truss rod cover does look weird and I don't think the pots are stock parts.It's had a very rough life.

Guest Farnsbarns

I got a PM message from another member telling me it was a Custom, guess I need to send in the serial no. and fins out what she is.

Thanks

It looks like a custom to my untrained eye although, if it is, it's not very original. Another thing that crossed my mind looking at the truss rod cover and that visible pot shaft was that it could be a period fake.

I'd definitely get in touch with CS before you pull it apart.

Are you going to gut it for the electronics? If you're not needing the neck/body I'd love to work on it. I'd also pay for it.

It looks like a custom to my untrained eye although, if it is, it's not very original. Another thing that crossed my mind looking at the truss rod cover and that visible pot shaft was that it could be a period fake.

I'd definitely get in touch with CS before you pull it apart.

I'm going to have the serial number run on it tomorrow.

Are you going to gut it for the electronics? If you're not needing the neck/body I'd love to work on it. I'd also pay for it.

I'm having the serial no. run , I'll let you know what I'm going to with it after they tell me what it is.

Look what I have found.

It is 18.5cm x 15.5cm x 7.6cm.

In inches that is 7.3 x 6.1 x 3inch.

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Got an old pup too. Now I need material for a neck. And a plan how to start :)

The box is not very big but for a first one it will do. The first one can be bad, it is get the gist of it.

Look what I have found.

It is 18.5cm x 15.5cm x 7.6cm.

In inches that is 7.3 x 6.1 x 3inch.

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Got an old pup too. Now I need material for a neck. And a plan how to start :)

The box is not very big but for a first one it will do. The first one can be bad, it is get the gist of it.

That should make a nice one

Archived