Gibson Brands Forums

Money. 7/4 time.. WTF?

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Rabs Vista

I'm sure this won't be news to many of you but I just found myself improvising over Money by Floyd. I thought I'd work out the riff, easy enough but never tried. This got me thinking about the unique sound of the riff and I reckoned it was odd timing so I counted 1, 2 and 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Eh? 7 beats to the bar, that's bonkers!

Guest Rabs Vista

I think the opening riff and the baseline are the same. You tell me...

1 2&3 4 5 6 7
--------------
--------------
---4----------
----4---------
-2---2-----2-5
-------2-5----

And then...

1 2 3&4 5 6 7 1 2&3 4 5 6 7
------------------------------
-4-4-4-------4-3-2-----------
------4----4------2------2-5
-------2-5---------0-3-5----

[/Code]

I think the opening riff and the baseline are the same. You tell me...

1 2&3 4 5 6 7
--------------
--------------
---4----------
----4---------
-2---2-----2-5
-------2-5----

And then...

1 2 3&4 5 6 7 1 2&3 4 5 6 7
-4-4-4-------4-3-2-----------
------4----4------2------2-5
-------2-5---------0-3-5----

[/Code]

yup, that's it.

Except for the solo which is in 4/4, which I heard was to make it easier for Dave to solo over it without having to think about the timing. I've jammed over it thousands of times and find I prefer the 7/4 riff for some more interesting phrasings [thumbup]

Yup. 7/4.

According to an interview with David Gilmour the wonderful time-sig change to 4/4 for the instrumental passage (and then back to 7/4) was serendipitous.

Apparently Waters thought 7/4 might be too tricky for Gilmour to cope with - especially if he was ever going to improvise a solo live - so the 4/4 section was slotted-in.

Gilmour also mentioned he thinks it's the only time a single has been released with this time-sig.

P.

EDIT : I see Kennis beat me to it...lol!

Yes I agree 'The Floyd' are masters of subtlety, space and economy...much thought went into their classic originals...

I believe they may have been influenced by the genius Dave Brubeck who, in his own way, revolutionised jazz by bringing in unusual time signatures like 5/4(Take Five...admittedly written by sax player Paul Desmond) and 7/4(Unsquare Dance)

Rick Wright was often under-rated...but had 'a bit of jazz' sensibility in his use of keyboard chords etc...

V

:-({|=

Archived