Gibson Brands Forums

How do you make a good hamburger ?

daveinspain

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First...

Forget about low fat percentages. You're likely better off with what they don't sell much of in stores, about an 80 percent lean. Otherwise... just buy buffalo (American bison). With buffalo... well, add beef fat or butter.

If you want it rare or medium rare? In most areas of the US and world, you're likely best off for sure in grinding your own immediately prior to making into patties and cooking.

Salt, a bit of garlic, yeah. Sometimes a thin slice of onion on top or onion salt. Either way... Toss the onion when you flip the burger.

Then a lot depends on how you want the thing cooked. I turn the heat up for this compared to medium to well-done.

The bun is not unimportant. You can keep the veggies other than a slice of onion, IMHO. I like a bit of ketchup and more mayo, depending... The less of an onion slice, the more mayo.

But then... How about a 6-8 oz burger cooked to about medium/medium rare; an egg fried over to just barely cooked yolk and a nice thick slice of onion.

m

But then... How about a 6-8 oz burger cooked to about medium/medium rare; an egg fried over to just barely cooked yolk and a nice thick slice of onion.

m

Don't forget the bacon. For seasoning I just use garlic salt and pepper. Some good scratch made buns from the local bakery works well, I cut a bit out of the middle as I don't care for a whole lot of bread with my burger.

Though I could have drop kicked my brother for this: [cursing]

I brought over 30 lbs of vacuum packed kobe rib-eye steaks to my brothers for marinating for a family party the following day... He took it upon himself to ground 15 lbs of the ribeye steaks into ground beef to make hamburger patties [cursing] [cursing] .... Though I was super pissed, I'll have to admit those were the best burgers I had ever chowed in my life [drool]

I like lots of stuff on the burger but I still say nothing mixed in the meat

I agree, I tried the mix it in the meat routine... horseradish was good.... mayo too... blue cheese as well, but it made the burgers too loose. Better to add those things later I think.

Milod mentioned temperature earlier too. I think the grill should be as hot as possible - fast and hot is my motto - 10 minutes at the most for a nice medium burger... Crispy brown outside, warm pink inside. Bingo!

Odd topic for a guitar forum but as a serious foody,, I'll bite [wink]

There are as many perfect burgers as there are palettes so what goes into them is a personal choice.

But to make everyone happy the most important ingredient in a perfect burger is the meat.

Sounds easy but it's true. You simply cannot compare the flavor of a quality ground chunk of beef to

the ground beef you buy in the store. The stuff in the store is all the leftover cuttings

If you don't have a meat grinder do yourself a favor. Spend the extra bucks to buy a chuck roast and have the butcher grind it for you.

I buy chuck and grind it myself and as Dave said in Spain, whaa laa.. Don't need much more.

But as a culinary adventurer I like to try different things and as much as I do love plain burgers I also love fresh herbs in them. I grow a fairly extensive assortment of herbs every summer and eat them almost daily while they last. So a fresh ground chuck burger with any choice of herbs is tops in my book.

But, as good as beef is, don't forget about the wonderful pig. Pork rules baby.

I also grind up pork shoulders and make burgers out of them. Pure pork burgers are heaven.

So key to an awesome burger is fresh ground.

Pure beef. Pure pork. Or mix pork and beef. I have done many versions of all of them.

I also make my own sausage.. [thumbup]

First time the guitar forum has made me hungry.

Meh... Burger's are supposed to be a basic food in my book so I keep it that way, just slap it on the grill or in a pan and cook it well, lettuce & tomato, mayo and some yellow mustard and maybe a dill chip or two.

Now a good cut of steak should be soaked in something to tenderize it, white wine, beer, BBQ sauce or a water and herbs mix will do.

Chicken is about the only meat I don't see a need to marinate but to each is own.

I think I make the best burger in town. All I do is buy a good piece of beef, have it grown, make a patty and add a little Lawery's season salt... I find the more crap you put in it the worse it gets... 100% beef a little salt and whaa laa...!

Ya baby agreed ....why do people pile loads of crap on it...if I wanted a salad Idda ordered one....I want meat dang it.... [thumbup]

I am pretty serious about my burgers since it is one of my favorite grilling foods.

I start with a pasture raised meat because it tastes the best. Lamb is my favorite followed by beef, bison, venison, and elk. If you don't grind it yourself (I don't eat enough meat to justify owning a grinder), make sure your butcher shop grinds their meat in house. That prepackaged stuff is where you get most of the bacterial contamination. It also tends to have fillers like pink slime. After making patties I season with salt and pepper. My wife adds garlic powder. Don't need anything more than that. The burgers are then grilled on hardwood charcoal until the outside is sealed. Never press down on your burger! You'll ring out the moisture. Let them rest on a covered plate for a few minutes and enjoy. Bun wise I like a hearty multi grain bun or a toasted pretzel roll. Simple condiments are best: a slice of tomato, smear of mustard, or a little pesto.

milod made a key point about fat: if the meat is super lean like bison or venison or elk, add some. Being Spartan, I reach for the olive oil. Butter is great too.

I think there are some basic rules of prep, such as sufficient "fat" content and general quality meat - which translates to fat percentage. A quality bun of one's style preference is also important if your taste buds and experience are much over age 12.

Beyond that, one marvelous thing about the "hamburger" is that it's so wonderfully versatile. Personally, I very much dislike mustard on anything, for example. While I rather enjoy tomato, I'd prefer it on the side rather than on my burger.

If you're using ground grocery store beef (or any other ground meat), you really should ensure that it's cooked at least to a "medium," which means a somewhat lower temp for a somewhat longer time period, depending on cooking method.

The best meat would be ground and shaped just before cooking, IMHO. The more fat up to perhaps 25 percent, probably the better for a juicy burger whether it's medium to well done; 15 to 20 percent for medium rare. I personally don't care for an uncooked center in a burger. Duane's Kobe steak experience is similar to what others have experienced in terms of quality of a burger.

Now about pork and lamb...

I prefer my pork in the morning or evening, usually as some sort of sausage. Bacon for breakfast is great. It also works well for a restaurant or fast food burger to help to make a better tasting sandwich out of often poorer-quality meat.

Lamb? I like lamb chops or even a roast, but... and I've got to be careful here since I live in a major sheep production region of America with the nation's largest wool shipping warehouse... No thanks for a lamburger. It's too difficult, IMHO, to do well in comparison to chops or "leg of lamb." Too often, also, the "lamb" is really an older animal that reeeeally gets that "mutton" taste.

Dead chicken? Fine when a quality bird is properly prepared as muscle cuts, but no thanks as a ground meat in a burger. Ditto turkey. Ditto, by the way, rattlesnake, alligator, etc., and even fish.

Soy burgers, whether all or in part? Lotza luck. They don't really taste like beef, even at 50-50; the texture is wrong and unless one is a committed vegetarian who has lost the more natural human preference for meat, it ain't worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I've had my share of tofu and other soy-based "Asian" foods; that reflects a long cultural history with the stuff that offers probably the best-tasting results. It just doesn't translate nearly as well yet to a "western" diet.

m

Archived