Gibson Brands Forums

How do you make a good hamburger ?

daveinspain

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lamb? I like lamb chops or even a roast, but... and I've got to be careful here since I live in a major sheep production region of America with the nation's largest wool shipping warehouse... No thanks for a lamburger. It's too difficult, IMHO, to do well in comparison to chops or "leg of lamb." Too often, also, the "lamb" is really an older animal that reeeeally gets that "mutton" taste.

I hear you Milod, believe me, the thought of a lamburger never crossed my mind until I was served one at a friends restaurant. It was like, wow who knew... My tastes buds have been europeanized so that may factor into it... [rolleyes]

Dave...

I know what you mean by "Europeanized" taste buds.

In my case it was more "Koreanized" by being so close to the Korean-American community. When in Korea with other Americans it was funny 'cuz here I was in hog heaven pigging out on marvelous food (no, I don't like "all" Korean food, but neither do any Koreans I've known) - and most Americans, even many South Americans, were making like they hadda starve to death in a food desert. <grin>

Food preferences can be pretty interesting.

m

Ever try a lamburger? Mix 50% beef & 50% lamb... [drool] Mmmmmmmm... If you want the full experience throw in a little India seasoning like cumin seed and curry powder and top it off with sauteed red onion... [love]

50/50? You gotta go all the way with that lamb. So delicious.

In my case it was more "Koreanized" by being so close to the Korean-American community. When in Korea with other Americans it was funny 'cuz here I was in hog heaven pigging out on marvelous food (no, I don't like "all" Korean food, but neither do any Koreans I've known) - and most Americans, even many South Americans, were making like they hadda starve to death in a food desert. <grin>

As we both know Koreans aren't shy about spices and flavors. For people with a mellow palate, I could see them being turned off by the plethora of pickled vegetables and spicy stews.

Guest Rabs Vista

I get 3/4 of a pound of prime minced beef from a butcher, (preferably he minces it in front of me) for 2 burgers (make em big).

I use 1 egg, part beaten with finely ground black pepper in it. (Not fluffy, still liquid but mixed)

Add to the mince and start mixing it together. If it's a bit sticky (depends on the mince) I add breadcrumbs to soak some up.

Make 2 burgers with that and roll them in cayenne pepper so it sticks to only the edges.

Cook to taste.

Always serve with cheese. This is the only time that "cheese slices" from the supermarket are acceptable but some mild cheddar is nice. I like strong cheese but not in burgers. Too overpowering.

Savory (tiger bread?) Buns or similar are my favourite.

A good thick slice of fresh, crisp tomato is a must, other salad optional but strong wild rocket is nice.

I'm with you all on the lamb. But to be honest, I have never had it ground.

Sadly I am the only one in my family who eats it so I don't get it that often.

But I think I may go find me a nice lamb shoulder and grind that baby up.

Slow cooked on a covered charcoal grill with mesquite chips. At some point, grilled onions (either cooked into the burger or grilled separately), and of course, the buns must me toasted on the grill surface. Bacon and the cheese of choice melted on top is a nice touch.

Shred...

I'm not sure I'd attempt to compare "interesting food preferences" to music preferences.

Although having something you like brings out pleasant emotions, "we" can listen to music we consider horrid stuff without becoming ill. OTOH, that's not the case with foods. Unless "music" is so loud it hurts, it doesn't have some of the whole body effect of foods, either.

I'm personally awfully eclectic in musical preferences. I could listen, for example, to a Lakota drum group all week and be quite happy with it, or traditional Korean music or blues or Bach or... about anything except rap and some atonal and polytonal stuff.

There are some things I might be able to eat were I starving, but cultural factors as well as one's digestive system will make a huge difference in food preferences, and even the ability to digest certain foods were one fed "hidden" culturally unfamiliar foods that simply might not "work" in one's digestive system.

m

Shred...

I'm not sure I'd attempt to compare "interesting food preferences" to music preferences.

Although having something you like brings out pleasant emotions, "we" can listen to music we consider horrid stuff without becoming ill. OTOH, that's not the case with foods. Unless "music" is so loud it hurts, it doesn't have some of the whole body effect of foods, either.

I'm personally awfully eclectic in musical preferences. I could listen, for example, to a Lakota drum group all week and be quite happy with it, or traditional Korean music or blues or Bach or... about anything except rap and some atonal and polytonal stuff.

There are some things I might be able to eat were I starving, but cultural factors as well as one's digestive system will make a huge difference in food preferences, and even the ability to digest certain foods were one fed "hidden" culturally unfamiliar foods that simply might not "work" in one's digestive system.

m

Must you always take everything so literally and analyze it to death??

Sheesh.. lighten up dude. +:-@

Sorry, I'm just in a mood,, must go eat meat. [flapper]

Boys, I think you ought to visit New Mexico sometime. We grow the best green chile in the world in southern NM, and NM and Texas beef is Grade A. A toasted bun, 100% beef patty cooked the way you like, cheese and a generous helping of green chile; simple and excellent. You guys will be addicted.

Quap...

It's who I am. Blame my parents and genetics as well.

In fact... for me, that's pretty "light."

m

Lol,,, No worries M. Sometimes the "B.A.S.S" just gets the best of me.

It's all in fun.

Apologies if it came out wrong. [thumbup]

I used to live next door to a Buffalo ranch,,and buffalo meat is IMO better than beef. Check it out sometime,,the guy who owned the ranch would give me samples,,UUMMM!!!! And after I would go listen to "Great white Buffalo" by the Whackmaster Nugent.lol

Boys, I think you ought to visit New Mexico sometime. We grow the best green chile in the world in southern NM, and NM and Texas beef is Grade A. A toasted bun, 100% beef patty cooked the way you like, cheese and a generous helping of green chile; simple and excellent. You guys will be addicted.

Love those New Mexico Hatch peppers! [thumbup] I buy a case every year, roast them and freeze them so I can have some year round. Burgers, tacos, chili, chile rellenos, I use them whenever possible haha.

I used to live next door to a Buffalo ranch,,and buffalo meat is IMO better than beef. Check it out sometime,,the guy who owned the ranch would give me samples,,UUMMM!!!! And after I would go listen to "Great white Buffalo" by the Whackmaster Nugent.lol

Ya man,, I love buffalo.

ahh who am I kidding,, I love food. lol

Love those New Mexico Hatch peppers! [thumbup] I buy a case every year, roast them and freeze them so I can have some year round. Burgers, tacos, chili, chile rellenos, I use them whenever possible haha.

You know what I'm talking about, Jeff. Hatch is the place and Green Chile is in season now. How about that unmistakeable aroma of chile peppers being roasted in the market parking lot as you drive by. Ohhhh man!

Archived