Gibson Brands Forums

Fleetwood Mac

zigzag

When Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the band, that's when they became a commercial success, but they moved in a different direction. I really liked Christine McVie's voice and their sound pre-Buckingham and Nicks. And of course the guitars of Peter Green and Danny Kirwan (et al.)- what a great band. That band went through a ton of changes, but did some great stuff and a really great body of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRxOuePJsNo&feature=related

When Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the band, that's when they became a commercial success, but they moved in a different direction. I really liked Christine McVie's voice and their sound pre-Buckingham and Nicks. And of course the guitars of Peter Green and Danny Kirwan (et al.)- what a great band. That band went through a ton of changes, but did some great stuff and a really great body of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRxOuePJsNo&feature=related

Christine Perfect is second only to Tina Turner as far as the most beautiful woman in rock.

Sort of reminds me of Van Helen Diamond Dave vs The Red Rocker...not to say either chick is comparable to either dude, but the popularity bit fits.

I can't help loving that goat voice of Nick's...but if I had to choose who to sound like, that is obvious....Christine all the way.

[thumbup]

Starting with straight ahead blues in the 60's...Peter Green showed the world a unique tasteful musical voice

Like many in this genre...personal conflicts, sensitivities, anxieties etc

Have driven all members to creative heights unmatched IMO by any other band

And the 'American' version is superb and quite different to the 'English' blues version....

V

:-({|=

I like each of the different line-ups for different reasons. As both zigzag and surfpup suggest, the Bob Welch years were actually quite pivotal and oft-neglected.

I've probably waxed-lyrical in the Lounge too often about how much I love PG's playing so I'll just leave it at that........

...When Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined the band, that's when they became a commercial success...

It's undisputable that the Buckingham-Nicks era was, by far, the band's most commercially successful line-up. I've just checked and 'Rumours' is, according to wiki, "..the sixth biggest selling album in US history.." which is quite a thought.

At the same time, however, according to a comment in the fairly well-known documentary 'Peter Green - Man of the World', the band's earliest incarnation had posted 'end-of-year' record sales figures which outsold both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones combined at least once.

This sounded slightly surprising to me. I thought, perhaps, the figures might have been taken from a year (or years) when the other bands were quiet on the recording front but, again, I've checked and, between '67 and '70, there's no year where either mega-band (and The Beatles especially) had a poor year - sales-wise.

I'll have to watch the docu again to refresh my memory.

Good excuse!

[smile]

P.

I love how Christine Perfect sings this Etta James classic. Something about it makes me want to hold her in my arms. Silly? Yes but still I can't can't explain why it makes me feel that way. Maybe it's her vunerability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmG24mOWZoo&feature=related

Oh by the way I was listening to Tusk on vynal the other day. That is an amaxing album especially from a production standpoint. Every instrument is heard so perfecly and so many distict timbres on the guitars. Records these days tend to have one guitar sound throughout.

I liked FMac much better before Buckingham and Nicks - but I listen with musician's ears, plus my own personal taste enters into that as well. But the general public does not listen with musician's ears, and who can argue with success?

Bare Trees, Penguin, etc. were much better. After Nicks, all I really cared for are the McVie songs.

The Bob Welch and Christine McVie tracks are among my favorites from that group.

I don't care for Nicks' voice. It sounds damaged by vocal chord nodules, probably caused by chest breathing instead of diaphragm breathing.

But like I said, who an argue with success?

Notes

As much as I like Peter Green's Guitar work and McVies "Angelic" vocals, there's nothing like the "Fleetwod Mac" and "Rumors" Albums.

I really liked Peter Greens work, but as a blues band Fleetwood always sounded a little clumsy and out of their element. Mick and John were sounding very childish compared to their work in John Mayall's Blues Breakers. Good stuff, but not nearly as polished and professional sounding as the Buckingham Nicks era. And their harmonies were very lack luster without Buckingham's highs.

Archived