Gibson Brands Forums

What's a 2008 J200 worth?

PeteGalaxie

I am selling my Martin OM-28V (posted for $2050 + shipping) or trade for a Gibson slope shoulder, preferably an AJ but would consider a J45. I had an offer from someone to trade for a "2008 Gibson J200. Gold hardware. Vintage Sunburst. OHSC. Unsigned warranty card. Excellent condition. Fishman pickup and sound hole volume control."

My question is how much would that J200 be worth? I just assumed it was worth more than what I was asking for the Martin. I originally said that I didn't think I wanted a J200 and his response was "You could trade my J200 on a Gibson J45 or whatever it is you wanted."

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. Does it seem like a good deal for me? Could I easily trade a used J200 for an new AJ? Maybe it's me, but something just doesn't sound right about this...

I think you would be doing pretty good on that deal.

Thanks. I suppose I might like a J200 but have really been searching for a nice AJ. Do you have a ballpark figure on what a used J200 is worth? I'm wondering if I do go for the deal, what could I expect if I turned around and tried selling it?

My rule of thumb for buying late-model used acoustic Gibsons or Martins in excellent condition is to pay no more than 60% of the new discounted price for the same instrument. So far, that approach has worked out quite well.

If, for example you can buy a new guitar from a dealer for $3000, I will pay no more than $1800 for that same guitar as a five-year-old or newer used guitar in excellent condition. That formula has worked for my 000-28 EC, my Fuller's 1943 SJ, my L-OO Legend, and several others. It works best for guitars that are either still in production, or for guitars where production numbers were fairly high.

I overpaid for one guitar, which was my Nashville '59 Historic ES 335, but those are harder to come by.

Ya maybe you have what hes looking for and can't be bothered with selling? But ya I'd definatly be cautious

I agree with this -- if someone is really excited about what you have, but they don't have the cash for it and they don't have exactly what you're asking for, I could see them being willing to "overpay" in a trade. Be cautious, but I would expect that you could flip the J200 for a bit more than what you'd get for the OM. And it might be fun to have the J200 for a spell if you're not in too much of a hurry to get a slope.

I think you can get a new J200 Standard for around $3100 in the US..+ tx

So used..maybe $2400..? Up or down a little considering how nice it is.

I agree. Just bought my J200 this past March for $3000 out the door. Good used ones go for about $2400.

Archived