Gibson Brands Forums

Rotating guitars

ParlourMan

Been doing this for a little while, finally time rolled around to put the main two gigging guitars aside for a minute and break out the SJ-200TV and the Keb Mo again... wow, wow and a third wow... the Keb Mo just keeps getting better, but the SJ-200TV is totally blowing me away, so light, so crisp, I may have to adjust the live setup some to get this guitar in action, an expensive model for sure, but what's the point of it idling away in a rotation system when I could be using it live....

several months on and not a single pang of regret for getting this guitar, love it.

I'm big into rotating guitars. In the man cave I always have a 'guitar of the week' wich sits on a stand and gets majority of play while the others hang.

I also like to rotate guitars at gigs, mainly the HBTV and SJ. I'm going to add the J-150 to the live mix as I now have tone controls and better pickup that I had installed this week.

I find the maple jumbos really need a lot of fiddling with EQ to get the tone and warmth just right. They are also best at lower volume as when too loud they can be overly bright, which is not good when its the only guitar.

However we are starting to play this saturday in a 'cafe gig', quite mellow and laid back,low volume affair where the Gibson maple jumbo should shine.

Rubbish beards and rubbish shoes... These fella's mean nothing to me! ;)

Yeah - I like to rotate, though I've only got 3. The main reason, sort of obvious - is that it gives me a chance to "re-hear for the first time again" how great a guitar sounds. If I can resist the temptation to play my SJ200 for at least a week, I am blown away like you are, by how great it sounds and how versatile it is. For me, it is like when I'd find a toy that I thought I'd lost under the bed. Sort of like new, but familiar. With a guitar, it jump starts creativity and trying out new stuff. BTW, I'm guessing that ZZTop feels about the same way about you: Admit it PM - you wish you could grow a beard. [cool]

Admit it PM - you wish you could grow a beard. [cool]

Oh cool, body hair chat... here we go... If I do a quick tuck under I have an instant beard... ;)

Now, a Gibbons style tramp beard may take some time and dramatically reduce my night time action, so the urge to resist is easy to offset. Got a bit of a mod cut-going on at the minute and some new tailored shirts so it's not quite beard season.

I am the janitor of a smart(sharp) trimmed beard...just like mamma said [thumbup]

I would never aspire to the 'long' variety...on health and safety grounds(including mice)

Although by adoption of the 'sensible Sikh' philosophy...may consider a 'beard net' if things got lazy...

V

:-({|=

I am the janitor of a smart(sharp) trimmed beard...just like mamma said [thumbup]

I would never aspire to the 'long' variety...on health and safety grounds(including mice)

Although by adoption of the 'sensible Sikh' philosophy...may consider a 'beard net' if things got lazy...

V

:-({|=

Having had a beard in one form or the other for most of the last 45 years--from the long hippie version in the 60's to the ultra-trimmed Iron Man look of recent years--I can say that its one big advantage is that you are unlikely to go hungry: there's always some food stashed in there somewhere...... [rolleyes]

The other big plus is that ex-wives don't recognize you if you change your beard style or shave it off.

My three are in constant rotation: day 1 000-28vs, day 2 J-100Xtra, day 3 000-18MC, day 4 000-28vs and on and on... I play every night for about 2 hours.

Archived