Gibson Brands Forums

New SG

gizeh68

Hey folks, I just purchased a new gibby SG faded, to keep my Les Paul Studio some company :) I love it, sounds great, awesome value. The Alnico 2 pickups are brighter and have more character I think than my BBIII's in my lester. But at any rate, still a great guitar, I'm always impressed with the fit and finish of even their lesser priced guitars.

I have two questions:

1. The serial number on the back is from 2008. Do you think the fretboard is rosewood or baked maple?

2. it came with a soft shell case, which of course needs to be changed immediately. I've been looking around for cases, and it seems that the Epiphone hardshell SG case seems to get a lot of good reviews. Is that a good one to choose over the Gibson version?

Thanks!

Rosewood

If you don't buy a Gibson case, make sure the case you do buy has the proper support for the neck joint. Some cases will hold the neck too high and the neck joint won't have support under it. The picture below is of a Gibson SG case and you can see the extra padding/support in the area that would be under the neck joint.

GASSGCASE_2_lg.jpg

thanks everyone, I'll make sure it has the extra support for the neck/headstock. Glad I got one of the last ones that still have rosewood :)

Glad for ya man!

but gotta say nothing wrong with baked maple.. I have 5 Gibby,s 2 two SGs one with a Baked Maple fretboard.

At first I was skeptical... till I played it.. within about 10 seconds, It was a hit, they're actually very nice.

If you don't buy a Gibson case, make sure the case you do buy has the proper support for the neck joint. Some cases will hold the neck too high and the neck joint won't have support under it. The picture below is of a Gibson SG case and you can see the extra padding/support in the area that would be under the neck joint.

Ditto on the the case recommendation, I got a TKL off Amazon in July for around 80 USD shipped

Looks just like the one pictured in your post.

PS, I Believe TKL makes Gibson's cases as well.

OK, OK, I guess I'll show her off :) I got it for a song and a dance. Some of our Best Buy stores are closing out their musical instruments. This was their last Gibson left in the entire store. Brand new, got it for 60% off. Was a no-brainer, really. Didn't really need a new guitar, but a new American made gibby for less than $300? Wouldn't pass that up in a heartbeat.

Body closeup:

02abody.jpg

On a stand:

03side.jpg

The family:

01family.jpg

Hey folks, I just purchased a new gibby SG faded, to keep my Les Paul Studio some company :) I love it, sounds great, awesome value. The Alnico 2 pickups are brighter and have more character I think than my BBIII's in my lester. But at any rate, still a great guitar, I'm always impressed with the fit and finish of even their lesser priced guitars.

I have two questions:

1. The serial number on the back is from 2008. Do you think the fretboard is rosewood or baked maple?

2. it came with a soft shell case, which of course needs to be changed immediately. I've been looking around for cases, and it seems that the Epiphone hardshell SG case seems to get a lot of good reviews. Is that a good one to choose over the Gibson version?

Thanks!

Congratulations on the new SG!!! Yeah, it's a great guitar and a heck a value for the price.

Also, there's nothing to worry about the (torrefied) baked maple fretboards, they ROCK!!!

Archived