Gibson Brands Forums

Help identify a 1968 Custom

djmille

I’m a newbie and trusted the folks at a local Guitar Center. I thought I was buying an authentic 1968 Les Paul Custom, flametop, antique natural. I continually questioned the validity of their claims because it looked in such good condition, but they assured me it was actually made in 1968. It even had a certificate of authenticity. I was a bit skeptical, but it sounded great, and played great so I picked it up. Upon bringing it home, I think I have a nice 1968 reissue made in 2007. I kind of wish I would have found these forums before buying.

Can any of you confirm? -Thanks

Well, there was no Custom Shop in 1968 or certificates and they were only made in black back then. A real 1968 Custom is probably going to cost you over $10,000. I hope you only paid about 25% of that amount.

I think I learned my lesson. I did a little research, but not enough. You guys are great and I thank you for the information.

I overpayed by $500-700, (I paid in the low 3K range) so although disappointed in the transaction, the guitar is still great. Even used equipment has the 30 day return policy at GC, but I'm not sure I want to return it. Ugghh; what to do ...

I think I learned my lesson. I did a little research, but not enough. You guys are great and I thank you for the information.

I overpayed by $500-700, (I paid in the low 3K range) so although disappointed in the transaction, the guitar is still great. Even used equipment has the 30 day return policy at GC, but I'm not sure I want to return it. Ugghh; what to do ...

I bought a new 2008 '68 LP RI @ GC in 2008 for $2800. If i wanted to sell it, I'd be lucky to get $2400. Hope that helps your decision.

If you really like it you may be able to take it back & renegotiate.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

I bought a new 2008 '68 LP RI @ GC in 2008 for $2800. If i wanted to sell it, I'd be lucky to get $2400. Hope that helps your decision.

If you really like it you may be able to take it back & renegotiate.

You got to be kidding ! The LPC '68 Reissues in the late 2000s sold for under 3K new ?

I do wish to thank you for the great information. I'm a little irritated at GC, but I don't think the sales guy new. He said to check it out and bring it back if there were any issues. I can now say that I have checked it out. I'm pretty sure a mis-representation of 40 years in the date of manufacture could be an "issue"

You got to be kidding ! The LPC '68 Reissues in the late 2000s sold for under 3K new ?

I do wish to thank you for the great information. I'm a little irritated at GC, but I don't think the sales guy new. He said to check it out and bring it back if there were any issues. I can now say that I have checked it out. I'm pretty sure a mis-representation of 40 years in the date of manufacture could be an "issue"

I may still have the receipt if it helps ya'.

I took my 68 Les Paul (built in 2007) back to GC and they were OK with reversing the deal. I really felt stupid for not knowing better, however, their paperwork and database info said nothing about a 2007 reissue.

So, I'm ready now to buy a different LPC and hoping not to overpay. Leaning towards a mid 2000s Alpine White with gold hardware. Hoping to get one for $1900-2100; does that sound like a better price?

Archived