Gibson Brands Forums

Exotic Meats

quapman

OK,, seeing as the Gibson Lounge has briefly turned into the Gibson Kitchen, how about another one.

I will pretty much try anything once, and 300 times if I like it.

How adventurous are you when it comes to food. What are the craziest meats you have eaten.

My exotic meat list would include: (and I realize exotic is subjective)

For me it's

-snails

-alligator

-snake

-ostrich

-frog legs

-game of all kinds but I don't consider it exotic. Some do I guess. But them some wouldn't consider snails or gator exotic,, it's all relative I suppose.

-octopus and squid

-and I ate ants on a dare as a kid..lol

I'm sure I'm missing some.

Eaten all of the above except snake. Eaten deer, bison, and elk as well - pretty common I imagine - and local fare like squirrel and rabbit when I shot them as a kid. I've also eaten crickets and meal worms (spicy seasoned and crispy). Alligator is real common down here - one of my favorite dishes is Buffalo style alligator strips - delicious.

Hmmm.... feel free to pick any of these that apply, and discard any you think are not valid!

Rattle snake

Rabbit

Squirrell

dove

Deer/Elk and other similar fauna

Buffalo

Bees (cooked into a brownie...)

Termites (in rice)

Raw oysters

crayfish

Squid

Tripe

Cow Tongue

Frog Legs

Fish eggs (caviar)

lamb

kangaroo

crocodile

ostritch

shark

...and Mom said I ate a cockroach when I was a baby.

:mellow:

I've eaten whale meat-it's surprisingly lean and much like veal in its texture and flavour.I've eaten a lot of octopus and squid as a matter of fact squid is a delicacy here. I have a yearly feast of seal flippers-another delicacy here.My wife and I had very tender and tasty moose steaks this evening.I often eat the "britches" of the cod fish,the britches are the egg bearing sacks of the cod and are shaped like old fashioned britches.One of my favourite foods is cod tongues just rolled in flour with salt and pepper and fried in tiny rendered cubes of fatback pork called "scruncheons".When they are fried to a golden brown they are just delicious.Fish that is fresh out of the water is delicious eaten raw just dipped in balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Nice,

Some impressive adventurers among us.

Things mentioned that I have eaten but missed on my list.

Sashimi (ever see Homer in the sushi restaurant going to town on the raw fish? Ya,, that's me)

rabbit (I wuv wabbit)

beef heart,, add to that liver, chicken hearts, gizzards.

raw oysters

tripe

caviar(But I don't get it :-k )

wild boar

quarter pounder, macNuggets and macRib lol.. probably the most daring of them all.(good one guys)

Things mentioned that I haven't tried but are on my culinary bucket list.

squirrel

cow tongue

kangaroo(local butcher imports in on occasion and am waiting to try it)

Wild turkey.. not mentioned or exotic but I am dying to try it.

sea urchin

...whatever is in a Quarter Pounder...

[lol]

That's SO funny! Thanks for giving me the first guffaw of the day!

I've eaten most of the stuff mentioned except non-European animals/meat (for instance caribou/bison) and most insects. My wife's French and they, as a nation, have a fairly catholic approach to what is potentially 'Dinner'.

There's a saying; "On the sixth day the Lord created the small creatures who walk upon the Earth and on the seventh day the French turned them into soup."

Just a small bit of info re: rabbit. I have it on the authority of no less than three Frenchies that the most tender and flavoursome bits of a rabbit are the cheeks and tongue. There now. Off you go down to your local butcher and ask for "..a pound of rabbit cheeks, please."...lol!

BTW...a few have mentioned 'raw oysters'. Can you eat cooked oysters? I thought they could only be eaten raw? :-k Academic to me now as I've recently developed an allergy to all crustacea and most fish...:(

P.

Hello! Well, those mentioned by Quapman, I do not consider exotic - I've eaten most of them. Actually I am more afraid of those things sold in worldwide franchise systems (don't want to mention brands - we all know, I guess). Let me just tell You about some local meats, some of You would find exotic: snails, frog legs - not common tough, but part of the hungarian cuisine, as well as all parts of cattle and hog (really all, from tounge to tail) are consumed in some form. Rabbits, turkey, horse - nothing special about them. Probably the most disguisting thing about our cuisine is the thing called "pacal", which is a bit similiar to "haggis". It is sliced cattle stomach stew: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=pacal&hl=hu&tbm=isch&tbnid=UR2MQADAA7zfIM:&imgrefurl=http://recept.network.hu/kepek/finom_falatok_eva_modra_en_keszitettem_en_fotoztam/fol_a_pacalkorom_porkolt&imgurl=http://pctrs.network.hu/clubpicture/3/1/3/_/fol_a_pacalkorom_porkolt_313775_60541.JPG&w=640&h=480&ei=VVdIULr4M4Hk4QSbqoG4DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=470&vpy=443&dur=3047&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=122&ty=110&sig=112410285893530724089&page=1&tbnh=119&tbnw=167&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:131&biw=1246&bih=786.

Enjoy... Bence

Ive traveled extensively through out the world so eaten almost everything and some Ive regretted, A lot of the eels and snails are slimy and disgusting no matter how there prepared. Most game animals listed as well as Caribo, Reindeer, Bear, Javelina, wild Boar (wonderful), Horse tough and chewy, Goat, Dog, etc etc etc.

Some of the weirder ones Ive eaten are in Mexico and further south, they included included;

Blood Pudding - Huge vats of blood boiled down until it looks like Hamburger meat but very dark and rich, Looks and smells nasty, Goat, horsemeat, ostrich steaks and dog. and probably the strangest thing Ive eaten was a deep fried Guinea Pig looked kind of like a pig barbecued in hawaii but only about eight inches long.

Rattlesnake is a popular delicacy here in Arizona they fry it and so it tasted kind of like chicken just really chewy. I also had a sandwich from a street vendor in mexico city that he said was turkey but it wasn't it was very dark, very salty and greasy and if I had to guess I'd say it was probably seagull I only got a few bites of that down. still better than kimchee which is pretty nasty as far as i'm concerned.

There are a few things Ive refused to eat including the following:

Balut - a duck egg with a partially formed duck inside that's buried in the ground for a week and then soft boiled and your supposed to scoop it out with a spoon and eat the partially formed duckling thats rotted into a smelly gelatinous mess. A delicacy and a aphrodisiac in the Philipines but I'll never know it was too disgusting to watch others eat let alone eat it myself.

100 year eggs - Chinese delicacy - it a really old egg so far past rotten it's a black gross mass again smells horrible and wouldn't even try it though I was being teased by people half my 6'4" height but so what. They said it was rude not to try it but it can't be as rude as puking all over your host's which almost happened from the smell and would have been a sure thing if I ate it.

Japan has some of the weirdest things Ive ever seen and chickened out on eating including "Dancing Ice Fish" in english I guess, sounds beter in Japanese until you learn there tiny fish and there eaten alive and you let them dance around in your mouth and throat as you swallow them, No thanks I'll stick to Sake.

Japan again - Deep fried Grasshoppers and hummingbirds, as well as hummingbird soup. I don't eat bugs at least not intentionally even deep fried and I really like hummingbirds but not on a stick and fried so there a crispy little lump's you eat bones and all again nope I'll pass. Same for hummingbird soup smelled good but actually had little hummingbird skulls and bones floating around in it again I'll pass and stick with Japanese beer and Saki.

I'm sure here's a lot more that's enough for now I guess, but if your really brave eat a Super Taco from Jack-in-the Box I don't think anyone has ever identified that strange orange meat paste they use but it's good.

.... Probably the most disguisting thing about our cuisine is the thing called "pacal", which is a bit similiar to "haggis". It is sliced cattle stomach stew.....

[scared]

[cursing]

:angry:

[-X

[lol]

Bence, my friend, you reiterate a common misconception.

Haggis does NOT contain any stomach whatsoever, whether it be from cattle, sheep or Martian.

Haggis is a 'mealy pudding' which usually contains nothing more exotic than sheeps' heart, liver and lungs, ground and mixed with onion, suet, oatmeal which is then well seasoned with spices.

Traditionally and historically it was encased in a sheep's stomach to keep the whole thing together whilst it was boiled - but the stomach was NOT eaten.

Every 'Burns Night' we have a large-ish gathering here at home where the menu consists of 'haggis, neeps and tatties' (haggis, swede/turnip and mashed potato) washed down with some fine single malt whisky all accompanied by recitals of the poetry written by the man himself.

In the past many of those invited had never tasted haggis before but they have all - without exception - left as fans of the dish.

There's even a vegetarian version available which is very tasty indeed!

P.

Hello Philip! Thanks for correcting. I am bit angry tough - I've been misleaded by a Scottish colleague/friend of mine. [cursing] Probably He didn't tell me about this all-important detail to win the "which-nation-has-the-most-disguisting-food" contest. [biggrin] Anyways, sometimes these "exotic" foods sound strange if You look at the ingredients, but when You taste them, they turn out to be very delicious.

P.S.: That "Burns-night" event sounds very exciting! Good to hear that some people left on the surface on Earth who still know traditional ways of entertaining themselves in a culturally valuable form - insteaded of wasting their time in front of a TV-set or whatever... [smile]

Best wishes... Bence

...I've been misleaded by a Scottish colleague/friend of mine.......Probably He didn't tell me about this all-important detail to win the "which-nation-has-the-most-disguisting-food" contest....

LOL!

The irony is he could have won the contest without recourse to cheating by nominating Scotland's other major contribution to, errm, Haute Cuisine : the Deep-Fried Mars Bar...........[laugh]

Mind you, the French consider Andouillette to be a delicacy....................[blink]

P.

LOL!

The irony is he could have won the contest without recourse to cheating by nominating Scotland's other major contribution to, errm, Haute Cuisine : the Deep-Fried Mars Bar...........[laugh]

Mind you, the French consider Andouillette to be a delicacy....................[blink]

P.

Wonder what would the French say about the Hungarian "hurka"...

Thanks for the info on the Mars bar! You gave me a great idea on a joke for my Scottish friend. He used to call us Martians, probably because of the uniqueness of our language. [biggrin]

Cheers... Bence

I am Elmer, I like wabbit a lot!

I ate little fried black beatles in Ecuador. Very salty.

I ate snails, oysters, frogleggs, just at home, no big deal, rather common here.

I ate a snake in Vietnam.

But the most funny thing I ate was a guinea pig. It was in Ecuador, we could choose one, so I choose for the red hairy one, he was cute. The next thing we saw was those guinea pigs with a metal pin true their behind (came back out true their mouth) and they where put very close to the fireplace. It was cold outside, so the fireplace was burning high. We where recomended to turn the pigs once in a while.

The piggies where shaved, but the little tail and snout where still red hairy...that was mine.

I ate it but...not that tasty tbh.

I am Elmer, I like wabbit a lot!

I ate little fried black beatles in Ecuador. Very salty.

I ate snails, oysters, frogleggs, just at home, no big deal, rather common here.

I ate a snake in Vietnam.

But the most funny thing I ate was a guinea pig. It was in Ecuador, we could choose one, so I choose for the red hairy one, he was cute. The next thing we saw was those guinea pigs with a metal pin true their behind (came back out true their mouth) and they where put very close to the fireplace. It was cold outside, so the fireplace was burning high. We where recomended to turn the pigs once in a while.

The piggies where shaved, but the little tail and snout where still red hairy...that was mine.

I ate it but...not that tasty tbh.

Lol,,, funny story [thumbup]

Archived