Gibson Brands Forums

Making the old guitar shine like new

JoeM17

Not disputing that report, but just what did it do that was "better" than other products you've use? Got to have the facts ya know!!! [biggrin] Details with statements should be a mandatory requirement like photo's are with NGD/NAD.

Aster

Note taken, I will write a follow up. For now I will say my guitar's finish looked dull and hazy prior to using Virtuoso Cleaner. There were many fine scratched just from normal use. I do take care of all my instruments. I have tried many other products and have even asked jewlers how to clean my Gretsch G6120 AM with gold plated hardware. I first started to use the Virtuoso polish on the back of my guitar. I didn't know what to expect, I couldn't believe how it restored the nitrocellulose finish. It became just as clear as the day I bought the guitar. I proceded to polish the rest of my SG and I was just amazed. The fine scratches were gone, discolorations of age dissapeared. Wow,

I work for the Boston Symphony and I quickly told my peers that I knew played the guitar that they have to try this stuff out. I am waiting to hear their replies.

Note taken, I will write a follow up. For now I will say my guitar's finish looked dull and hazy prior to using Virtuoso Cleaner. There were many fine scratched just from normal use. I do take care of all my instruments. I have tried many other products and have even asked jewlers how to clean my Gretsch G6120 AM with gold plated hardware. I first started to use the Virtuoso polish on the back of my guitar. I didn't know what to expect, I couldn't believe how it restored the nitrocellulose finish. It became just as clear as the day I bought the guitar. I proceded to polish the rest of my SG and I was just amazed. The fine scratches were gone, discolorations of age dissapeared. Wow,

I work for the Boston Symphony and I quickly told my peers that I knew played the guitar that they have to try this stuff out. I am waiting to hear their replies.

Hi Joe,

I agree, this stuff works fantastic.

After having used a whole bunch of various products, (Martin spray, Gibson Pump, Glitz (even some sparing use of Meguires which I guess is not really a good fit for nitro finishes) I finally ordered up a Virtuoso kit.

The results were pretty noticeable.

The other products don't do exactly what this cleaner and the polish does. There is definitely a deeper shine, with a very clear, clean feeling on the polished areas. As you note, seems to bring out the more subtle deeper color tones in the finish with a real luxurious sheen.

The other stuff (like Gibson Pump Polish) will leave streaks, and doesn't buff out like this stuff seems to and the end result is just not the same.

Also helped remove some of the fogging that sweat and skin oils leave on that area where the forearm will tend to make constant contact with the upper bout.

20 bucks for the two bottles is a bit steep, but you don't need to use a lot, and it definitely does the best job yet.

I'll re-up when my supply runs out.

/KB

Hello Joe! I first got amazed about the quality of this product when I tried it on my 50's Tribute Goldtop. From the factory it was quite dull, greenish (like a tarnished old instrument). After using it, the guitar became gold and shiny. The polish also removes the rust which formes on the polepieces of the pickups from sweat. I also use it on my Tele, which has polyurethane finish and does wonders on that too! Cheers... Bence

I wholeheartedly endorse the divine attributes of Virtuoso. It leaves the finish like a mirror, and somehow it seems "harder" with absolutely no residue.

And, as an added bonus...it smells nice. Not a strong smell. Pretty subtle. But it's like bubble gum. It doesn't leave your guitar smelling like that, but it's just a pleasant sensation as you're polishing away.

Definitely the best for nitro!

Curious...what do you do for the Boston Symphony? I'm a double bassist and I play in a local orchestra here in Houston (the Texas Medical Center Orchestra). If you're curious, we're here: http://www.tmcorchestra.org/TMCO/TMCO___Home.html

I bought both the Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish about three weeks ago.

Fantastic stuff!

The cleaner won't need to be used too often, IMO, for most people.

The polish added a very nice, deep shine to my old Byrdland and my two newer PRS'. The colours seem more vibrant now. I found that this polish also seems to prevent fingerprints from being left on the guitar body too.

My Byrdland had (note I said "had) some marks on it that were caused by some sort of liquid. Beer, water, I dunno. But under the right lighting conditions they almost looked like bubbles in the finish. A few years ago, before I started working on guitars as a hobby, I had a luthier tell me he could refinish the guitar and get rid of them (yes, a luthier told me he would like to refinish my '66 Byrdland!!). I of course declined....

Nothing has ever removed these few small marks --- until now. The Virtuoso cleaner and polish (dunno which removed them) got rid of them completely. Something was obviously sitting on the poly finish for a long time!

I'd have to speculate that this stuff is some sort of wax --- makes me wonder what is different about it as compared to some car waxes. Anyone have any ideas?

virtuoso_polish.jpg

I used both the cleaner and polish on a friend's old Kramer last night. He had covered the guitar in stickers --- they had been on there since the 80s!

After using some naphtha to remove the stickers the guitar still had decades of gunk on it. The Virtuoso cleaner literally went black when I started using it. Buffed it out, added the polish and the guitar almost looks new now.

Highly recommended.

Archived