Gibson Brands Forums

bought a 1939 J-35

billdraper

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says in registry 'restored'. That explains the lower price I think. I wonder what was done?

There doesn't seem to be any cracks, so maybe something inside the box, lose braces or a new bridge plate.

Of course the fretboard might have received a treat - sanding, new frets.

Congrats on this proud oldie -

Which ones from the current herd are now goin' to be sold ?

Good pictures. I'm mystified by the interior. Looks as if there is a third (scarred) tone bar* just behind the bridge plate where there would normally be 2.

Then again I don't know the 35 pattern.

And that vintage note is something -

*I now understand this was quite common - Aha. . . .

Beautiful! Have you checked the interior to see how many tone bars and whether or not they are scalloped?

I have seen some "restorations" and I wouldn't call this restored from the pictures. It looks like it has had a neck reset (good saddle height!) and the back refinished and probably a little overspray on the top. Maybe a refret too? I still wouldn't call that a restoration though (and that is certainly a good thing).

Don't think the "G" stands for Gibson. There were a number of second letters used after the E in 1939.

For many folks the only way to go with with a guitar is that is no longer 100% original. As you said that is what makes them affordable. They have no collectors value so become purely a player's guitar.

A lot of the J-35s have that style FON on the back of the headstock. The blonde one on the provide site has it too. I kept seeing that pop up every once in a while when researching J-35s. Seems like maybe a quarter of the ones I see have that FON on the headstock.

• 4 weeks later...

Zombywoof said:

For many folks the only way to go with with a guitar is that is no longer 100% original. As you said that is what makes them affordable. They have no collectors value so become purely a player's guitar.

That is so true. The price suggested a "players" guitar, and it does play great. But I took a closer look at the guitar and realized...it doesn't have the inlay buttons on the bridge. So then I noticed that a lot of old gibsons, when you see pictures of the bracing, have a small nut and bolt on the bridge and bridge plate. So...two things...it doesn't have the original bridge or the nut and bolts!

Then I got to investigating more and now curious to know wether the bridgeplate has also been replaced...which I believe is an even more serious replacement.

So I took some pictures that I will show you now. What do you think? Is the bridgeplate original. Course there is no real way to tell, but whats your guess?

Here is a couple of pictures of another J-35 in original condition to start(much cleaner then mine!)

c7c26c82f7c7194d094c32b29c03fc727cb7461b.jpg

92526602a0ccf9b0067cc2bbecb8b736452a9de2.jpg

And now two of my guitar:

11326332a4c0d9890aec47bb9870efc3e19e0d24.jpg

aa726062d1c779d7011c06b4dbda6c76cbf66207.jpg

Bill

Lots of wear on that bridgeplate, especially on the bass side. I would guess it's original. This might be a time to have a luthier look at it and see if it needs to be stabilized.

The bridge may be a replacement, since the bridgeplate shows the holes and washer indents from the original bridge machine screws, but the bridge itself shows no bolt holes.

Yes the dealer sold on consignment, and said he'd talk to the previous owner who he said may have owned the guitar for 10 years or so.

But it does look like it could be the original bridgeplate doesn't it ...there is the old screw holes present...I read that saving the old bridgeplate is a good thing to do causing less trauma to the guitar etc. Thanks.

Bill

Lots of wear on that bridgeplate, especially on the bass side. I would guess it's original. This might be a time to have a luthier look at it and see if it needs to be stabilized.

The bridge may be a replacement, since the bridgeplate shows the holes and washer indents from the original bridge machine screws, but the bridge itself shows no bolt holes.

Yes good idea.I'd like to have a complete assessment done and see what needs doing. It plays so nicely and the wood looks real good and the guitar is very light. I wouldn't want it to rip up by weak or poorly done bridge/bridgeplate repair. thanks. Bill

It's important to ask the questions about originality and how it could affect the price before you buy. The dealer and consignor probably have a very good idea what work has been done. It's a big risk to find out problems later on such an expensive guitar.

Take more pictures of the inside and get a blacklight to inspect the finish if you are concerned. The oversprayed or refinished areas should look purple under blacklight, and the original finish will be a dull green.

We can say that your guitar originally had a bridge with bolts and pearl dots, from the holes in the bridge plate. So the current bridge is a replacement, and done recently juding by the whiteness under the bridge bolt washers. The bridge plate appears to be original. The pin holes in it are also a little big from use. I would have a luthier plug the holes with maple dust and hide glue, and then ream them. That's a pretty conservative way to keep your bridge plate intact and doing its job.

If the remaining braces are thight, and the neck angle and intonation are correct, it shouldn't need much else.

Let's see some more pictures.

'Sounds like you're already connecting pretty well with it. Best wishes while you and the J-35 are passing some time

together.

Thanks! Yes I'm addicted to the sound of it now...ready to put some money into it as well to preserve it for another 70 years. If it were lost or stolen I'd cry...and look for another!

Bill

It's important to ask the questions about originality and how it could affect the price before you buy. The dealer and consignor probably have a very good idea what work has been done. It's a big risk to find out problems later on such an expensive guitar.

Take more pictures of the inside and get a blacklight to inspect the finish if you are concerned. The oversprayed or refinished areas should look purple under blacklight, and the original finish will be a dull green.

We can say that your guitar originally had a bridge with bolts and pearl dots, from the holes in the bridge plate. So the current bridge is a replacement, and done recently juding by the whiteness under the bridge bolt washers. The bridge plate appears to be original. The pin holes in it are also a little big from use. I would have a luthier plug the holes with maple dust and hide glue, and then ream them. That's a pretty conservative way to keep your bridge plate intact and doing its job.

If the remaining braces are thight, and the neck angle and intonation are correct, it shouldn't need much else.

Let's see some more pictures.

Thanks for your good eyes on this. I think its had a neck set. Its intonation is good I think. It plays well and sounds good.

Thanks for the tip on the bridgeplate strenthening...I saw that sawdust/hideglue on a vintage forum as well. I'll take it into a good luthier for a complete once over. More pics to follow to keep things interesting and instructive.

That's a hot guitar. You got the unscalloped three tonebar version. You're very close to the best dreadnought Gibson ever made with that.

From what I can see in the pictures, the work in getting the neck back on wasn't terribly clean, usually a bit of finish magic in the joint will make it impossible to tell if the neck was ever off. Not a big deal but a sign of less than expert work. Is the action ok? It does look a little high.

I really don't think it needs any more work beyond the bridge plate from what you've shown if the action is alright. You might consider calling Mark at Folkway Music in Guelph if it does need significant work. He is an expert on this period of Gibson guitars and one of the best repairmen available. He could probably put a replica bridge on there if you wanted to take it that far. But the basic glue/dust work on the bridge plate could probably be trusted to someone local if you are very clear with them about what you want.

Archived